Pidgin 2.11.0 - Builds for Puppy 4.3.1 (and later)

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
dejan555

#31 Post by dejan555 »

Not sure if it's used for anything else, but if there's a --disable-perl option in configure then it's probably not crucial for main functions, and after configure finishes it outputs which protocols are enabled.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

mikeb

#32 Post by mikeb »

and after configure finishes it outputs which protocols are enabled.
good point ... thats how I eliminated gnutls....

cheers... i will give it a test

mike

mikeb

#33 Post by mikeb »

--disable-perl
did not give any messages about lost features so I guess its just there for added perl scripts..

mike

abuian

#34 Post by abuian »

Just saw this security issue with GNUTLS:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/03 ... sdropping/

It looks like you have to use the older version with this build of Pidgin; any chance it could be re-built to work with the patched version?

Trevor

Makoto

#35 Post by Makoto »

dejan555 has provided a new build of gnutls 3.2.13 and Pidgin 2.10.9, compiled against it. If you'd like to try these builds, download them from here:

gnutls-3.2.13-i486-431.pet (Note: This may require the two dependencies (gmp, nettle) found in the post below.)

pidgin-2.10.9-i486-431.pet

Thanks again, to dejan555, for all your help. :)
Last edited by Makoto on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

dejan555

#36 Post by dejan555 »

No problem, you might need
gmp-6.0.0-i486-431.pet and nettle-2.7.1-i486-431.pet
as gnutls dependencies.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

mikeb

#37 Post by mikeb »

Hmm that gnutls discovery does look a bit hairy.... one to note is that pidgin can be built to use nss from mozilla instead which is usually no problem since puppy normally adds mozilla libs to the path.
I did this with my puppy build of pidgin more as a space saving excercise in an older pup that does not include gnutls.

mike

abuian

#38 Post by abuian »

Awesome! Thanks. One of my next major projects is to play around more with building my own packages; that Mozilla option sounds intriguing, though I see that the Linux from Scratch guide advises against it. In the meantime, I figured anyone else who was using the Pidgin build from this thread would benefit from an updated package.

Incidentally, it looks like the current version of Slacko comes with another version of GNUTLS. I wonder, if they updated it, if it would be possible to install Pidgin without any other dependencies. Probably a simple question, but that's just how ignorant I am of building packages :-)

Trevor

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

Suck it and see...ldd will help but you need to ldd all the plugins too.

As for NSS perhaps they say that as you usually need xulrunner/nss stuff to build it...i happen to have those around for building gnome-mplayer plugins and puppy dev files may do too.
Running configure with yer wanted options will soon tell you if you have what you need. The pidgins here are built without gstreamer support which makes life a whole lot easier.

run ./configure --help to see al the options. Also you can see what was used to build a working version going into help/build info.

mike

mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

Hmm I cannot connect to yahoo with gnutls.... nss works just fine.

Not sure who this affects...may well be gnuTLS version dependent after the recent revelations.

mike

Makoto

#41 Post by Makoto »

It might be worth it to ask around on the Pidgin support and devel mailing lists. Not many people have mentioned having problems with connecting to Yahoo - although I happen to be one of them; I haven't been able to connect to my YIM account for a while (though I only have one contact there, and he's also on AIM, so it's not a big deal).

But, nobody's said much about it. You're the first I've seen with a possible cause or explanation (I didn't think about the SSL angle, for example :oops: ).

(And, yes, I haven't installed the new recompiled build yet, either. :oops: )
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

mikeb

#42 Post by mikeb »

Well I assume its a case of obtain the 'fixed' gnutls libs or build using nss ... the latter definately gets it working and is good for jabber too but the former is probably the neater option.

Just posted this incase anyone was wondering why it failed to connect like I did.

And yes who still uses yahoo?..I just happened to have an old account on it which is only really used for freecycle forum :D

mike

Makoto

#43 Post by Makoto »

Yahoo still doesn't work for me, even after installing the new gnutls and Pidgin build. :|

For me, it was a matter of testing, way back when. I even have GTalk connected all the time, even though I don't really have any contacts there. It helps notify me if anything pops up in my gmail box, at least... :D
(Same for my Yahoo inbox, but now that that's not working...)

mikeb

#44 Post by mikeb »

Yahoo still doesn't work for me, even after installing the new gnutls and Pidgin build.
hmm thats annoying indeed...I hoped thats all it would take.
I also have a version of 2.5.8 on windows and that refuses to connect now saying wrong data length for the login but the log says authentication is ok... and google is lacking information on this recent problem.

So seems like only a recent build using nss is working.
Jabber works with either gnuTLS or nss by the way.

Just for testing purposes heres my nss build for older puppy
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k92fb87xrg51w ... 5.sfs?dl=1
it may not even get on with recent mozilla libraries...by th eway its sfs3.
Pidgin does not allow pic and mix with its plugins like vlc does so it has to be done as a bundle.

mike
Last edited by mikeb on Wed 20 May 2015, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

bruno

yahoo

#45 Post by bruno »

Yahoo doesn't work on any Puppy-Pidgin any more.
Strange because it still works on Ubuntu, Fedora and Debian.

Makoto

#46 Post by Makoto »

I'm currently trying to look into it (as I mentioned above, it hasn't been working for me, for a while).

Apparently, it may have something to do with a gnutls conflict... the only workaround I've seen so far, as mikeb has found, is to compile Pidgin using nss and NOT gnutls. The thing is, though, according to this email on the Pidgin devel list, not only do you have to recompile Pidgin, you also cannot have gnutls installed on your system (well, at least in the (lib)purple directories).

Since I can't guarantee everyone using these builds won't have gnutls installed or will uninstall it just for the sake of using Pidgin, I'm trying to see if there's another workaround.

mikeb

#47 Post by mikeb »

hmm thats just saying make sure the gnutls plugin is not left around from a previous build.

I have libgnutls (for what its worth now) around but not the plugin and it works like that and I just used the config parameter to disable it so no workaround needed ...load sfs and run in my case.

Trickeist part is making sure the nss dev files are ok. I still had what I needed from bulding gnome-mplayer. Puppy includes mozilla/ff in the path which helps when running.

mike

bruno

#48 Post by bruno »

I'm still using Pidgin 2.10.6 on Dpup Exprimo 3.4.2.10, and it's working perfect. Gtalk, MS Live and Yahoo messengers all working normally.

bruno

#49 Post by bruno »

On Dpup Exprimo 3.6.2.1 I still had Pidgin 2.10.7, but that also did't work with Yahoo any more. Since 2.10.6 seems to be the working version, maybe somebody still has that pet?
I tried the SFS of 2.10.6 for Slacko, but that didn't start up at all on Exprimo

Makoto

#50 Post by Makoto »

Well, datafilehost no longer has the original download (not that I expected them to still have it up, anyway), but I've re-uploaded it.

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/0e2146a3

This is the 2.10.6 .pet only. I don't know if it'll only work with the older version of gnutls I used to compile against, though.