Installing apps broke my Puppy. How to fix it?

Booting, installing, newbie
XiaoSpence

Installing apps broke my Puppy. How to fix it?

#1 Post by XiaoSpence »

Hello,
My second Puppy Linux installstion had broke and sends me to a command menu only. How can I fix my installation?

I am on the verge of giving up on Puppy Linux...it's not very newbie friendly and found a way to break itself through installing applications..it's managed to break itself faster than my Windows ME installations (literally)...I'm becoming rather wary...this is probably the only OS besides Bodhi that can stream videos at great speeds and do modern tasks fine.

If I can fix this, where can I find icons of all applications? Taskbar frustrates me I can't just drag icons to desktop ToT

I also need help uninstalling programs. There are no warnings from the applications of missing files and once I got information to check on terminal, my Puppy broke itself...

(More of a rant: I really miss being able to use a non-bloated Windows XP/7 on my low-end hardware...can't due to an ACPI error)
[b]My build:[/b] Dell Inspiron 20 Model 3043 AIO | Intel Celeron N2830 | 1600x900 | 4gb Ram

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

For us to help you, you have to tell use exactly what Puppy you have installed and how you installed it.

There is a little bit of a learning curve to get it installed the way you want, but it is very resilient once you do.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Have you read some of the answers in your other posted topics?

Yes, Puppy Linux is not Windows and does not work exactly like Windows.
Sorry, but you do need to learn new ways to do things.

Installing software has always been problematic in Linux.
Sorry, but it just is.

Basic info on installing additional programs.

Program packages need to be compiled for Puppy for the best chance to work. Puppy has it's own way of doing things.
Program packages are available in several ways. What you are looking for is probably available in one of them.

Puppy Package Manager(PPM), that is installed with the version of Puppy Linux you have, is the best place to get new programs. It will open, showing programs that are known to work on your version of Puppy.
1. Run Puppy Package Manager.
2. Left mouse click on a listed program.
3. Follow install directions
4. Program installs.

Depending on the version of Puppy you have, the package manager will have option to get packages from repositories other then Puppy repositories. The package manager will need to be configured for them.
This is how:
Run Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Select configure package manager.
Select the repositories you want to show.
Select update now.
After the update process, (it will take some time to update).
Close and restart PPM.
Should now see your new repositories at top of PPM window.
You then select the one you want to show in listings.
Note:
When getting packages from non-Puppy repositories, make sure you click on examine dependencies button (if offered) and download and install any identified as needed along with program package.
(newest version of PPM does this automatically)

Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)section of this forum is the next best place to look. However, you must keep in mind that you will find programs that where originally compiled under a specific version of Puppy and they may or may not work with your version.
General rule is to read the posting for the program pet and see if there is any info that would indicate what version of Puppy it will work under.
Most of the stuff will work on a large portion of Puppies, but not 100% guaranteed.
You may find more then one version of a program. Sometimes that makes a difference.
1. Find a program you want.
2. Open the program thread.
3. find the link for downloading the program pet.
4. Left mouse click on the link
5. Follow the directions to either install or save.
(If you save the pet file you can install by viewing the pet file in Rox-Filer (file manager) and left click on it)

More information here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59597
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

If I can fix this, where can I find icons of all applications? Taskbar frustrates me I can't just drag icons to desktop ToT
If you want to put an application icon on the desktop, so you can start the program from it.

The easy way to do it.
In Rox file manager.
Navigate to /usr/share/applications
Drag and drop the icon for the selected program to the desktop.
Now you have a desktop icon for the program.

For options, right click on the icon now on the desktop.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

First thing you need to do when asking questions and getting answers from the forum, is to give feedback of what you have tried (regarding the suggestions forum users have supplied to try and help you). Do you even read and apply the suggestions? It's difficult to help you if you don't give proper feedback.

XiaoSpence

#6 Post by XiaoSpence »

nic007 wrote:First thing you need to do when asking questions and getting answers from the forum, is to give feedback of what you have tried (regarding the suggestions forum users have supplied to try and help you). Do you even read and apply the suggestions? It's difficult to help you if you don't give proper feedback.
My apologizies...I am having a hard time even navagating the forums (in fact, could barely find my own post here). I'll try to just do lne thing at a time (my mind keeps jumping place to place) >_<l.

I've asked many questions over the course of days and found solutions to be rather hit and miss:
-By the time I saw suggestions for the BionicPup32 (which I forgot to post), I moved onto bionic64. Is it possible for me to delete the topic?
-I read this topic and did not seem to understand http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 94#1051294
-After Chromium failed multiple times and I the files thing was mentioned, I just gave up because vivaldi worked instead. I did not want to risk breaking something again.
-My puppy manager doesn't appear to list many programs, so I cannot uninstall botchef Chromium, WPS, and Open Office installations.
-When I finally attempted to use the terminal, system completely broke again.

For my future references I recall:
-I shouldn't try to use full installs; frugal only.

Again, I apologize for being so rash and impulsive. I'll try not to jump one place from another (my ADHD makes it hard for me >.<). I need to just stop overthinking everything.
Last edited by XiaoSpence on Sat 29 Feb 2020, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
[b]My build:[/b] Dell Inspiron 20 Model 3043 AIO | Intel Celeron N2830 | 1600x900 | 4gb Ram

XiaoSpence

#7 Post by XiaoSpence »

bigpup wrote:
If you want to put an application icon on the desktop, so you can start the program from it.

The easy way to do it.
In Rox file manager.
Navigate to /usr/share/applications
Drag and drop the icon for the selected program to the desktop.
Now you have a desktop icon for the program.

For options, right click on the icon now on the desktop.
Thank you. I could not find a solution for days. I'll try this once I fix the broken installation.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

I'll try not to jump one place from another (my ADHD makes it hard for me >.<).
We will try to be a little more understanding!

Your biggest problem is going to be learning new ways to do things and how Linux works.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ XiaoSpence:-

An old friend has a grandson who is unfortunately afflicted with ADHD. I know how his condition affects life within his family, so you have my sympathies.

Linux isn't for everyone, it's true. But if you're prepared to take the time to learn the different ways that things work, you 'll find it is just that; different. It's no easier or harder than Windows, at the end of the day.....in so many ways, it's actually easier. Especially to a person who's never used a computer; it's been proved that if you sit two non-users in front of two machines (one running Windows, one running Linux), and let them find their own way around, that the person with the Linux machine will pick up the basics more quickly.

And being a Windows user of long-standing, especially a 'power-user', is actually an impediment to learning your way round Linux. You're so used to doing things 'the Windows way', that you reason, 'If I can't do this, what hope does a beginner have, huh?' To which I'll respond, see my quoted example above.....

As and when you eventually 'master' Puppy - at least, to your own satisfaction & requirements - you'll have a delightful little system that you can make 'sit up', 'beg', 'roll-over', 'play dead', 'fetch'.....I think you get the picture! It's like most things; what you get out of it is almost always directly proportional to what you're prepared to put into it. Stat. Remember, too, that Windows is developed by a multi-billion dollar organisation, with very deep pockets, fingers in many pies, and a large and well-paid full-time staff; many Linux distributions, with a few notable exceptions, are developed by very small teams, even individuals, who are unpaid, and do everything in their spare time (as & when they can find it).....simply because they want to. Think about that for a moment, next time you start getting frustrated at the 'differences'.

For MyCrudSoft, it's simply a business, a means to an end. For the vast majority of Linux developers, it's a 'labour of love'....

Have a read of this; it might help you to understand the very different approaches between the two OSs:-

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

(It may be many years old, but it's as relevant today as it's always been.)

We're always here to help. Just work with us, within the basic, simple forum 'etiquette' (which isn't hard), and folks will often go 'the extra mile' to help out. They're a good bunch here, believe me. :)

Mike. :wink: