How do I uninstall programs?

Booting, installing, newbie
XiaoSpence

How do I uninstall programs?

#1 Post by XiaoSpence »

Hi,
I'm learning Puppy Linux and I would like to uninstall Chromium from my computer because it's not functional and using space.

Is there an easy-uninstaller program available? Thank you!

Also, is there an AIO sfs language font installer available? I would like to display Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and other languages like Hebrew on my PC! Thanks!

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

First, please understand there are about 300 versions of Puppy Linux still being actively used by people.

We always, always, always, need to know the exact, specific version, you are using. Programs change and how to do things change, with different versions of Puppy.

The specific name of the Puppy version iso file, you downloaded, is a good exact version name.

Also, it is best if you only ask one question or talk about one specific problem.
Topics get all messed up, when people are talking about several things. Hard to follow what has been done or has not been done.
There is no forum limit to the number of new topics you can start.

In general, to uninstall programs you installed by pet or deb package.
Use Menu->Setup->Puppy Package Manager(PPM).
On first window of PPM is the uninstall button.
Select it and a list of installed programs will show.
Highlight a listed item by clicking on it.
Select the Remove Package button to uninstall what you selected.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Ditto what bigpup wrote.

It would also help if you tell us exactly what you did, in this case "How did you install Chromium?" For example, downloaded a pet from http://somewhere? downloaded a deb from http://somewhere? Used Menu>Setup>Quickpet? Used Puppy Package Manager or Pkg-get to install it?

If you downloaded a deb it probably doesn't function because it l doesn't include files Puppies need. If you installed a pet, it may not have been built for your Puppy and similarly doesn't have needed files. But, as bigpup wrote, uninstalling is as simple as opening Puppy Package Manager and selecting the application from the Uninstall Menu.

Installations using Quickpet, Puppy Package Manager and Pkg-get: in addition to the application you selected these applications will download and install those additional dependencies which they "think" necessary. That "thought" --the formula used-- may not have been exactly right. At any rate, in addition to the application you installed the process will have installed other files you don't need and may also want to uninstall.

You may also have downloaded an SFS and installed it, not realizing it wasn't supposed to be installed.

Web-browsers are applications you frequently may want to up-grade. They are also the most finicky to get working properly. That's why I always recommend that either SFSes, AppImages or Portable-versions be used. These are self-contained. They can be tested and if not functional simply deleted. Generally, see this post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 94#1051294

"Also, is there an AIO sfs language font installer available? I would like to display Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and other languages like Hebrew on my PC! Thanks!"

Suggest you take a look at the threads on this Section of the Forum, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=16. If these don't fully answer your questions, don't hesitate to post there. When you do, remember to provide full details of your computer, the puppy version you're using and for which applications you seek multi-language support. Those reading your post won't know the information you've posted somewhere else.

If multi-language support is sought on such commonly used applications as LibreOffice or firefox, you may also want to examine the threads pertaining to those applications. Also, see what appropriate Search Terms reveal if you use this 'custom puppy google search engine', http://wellminded.net63.net/

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ XiaoSpence:-

Do understand that we're always fully prepared to help in any way, shape or form, wherever possible. But you need to help us a little, too..!

As bigpup says, there's a lot of Puppies still in active use, dating all the way back to the early 2-series, from the middle of the 2000s. Things have changed a lot over the years, and the ways things work in later Pups is totally different to the way earlier Pups handled them. Even amongst the 'later-generation' Pups, there's a multitude of small differences in the way their creators have set them up, which when added together can become a 'big' difference.

Ubuntu-based Puppies tend to have everything including the Out house sink. This is simply down to the way that the parent company, Canonical, approach putting an operating system together. Slackware-based Pups, on the other hand, often need many things adding before a lot of programs will work. Slackware is one of the oldest Linux distros still extant, dating back well over 20 years (1993 in fact), and Patrick Volkerding, the creator, took a much more 'minimalist' view of things, reasoning that it should be down to the individual to decide exactly what they wanted to do with his OS, and tailor it to fit their needs.

But the finer points of forum etiquette remain. It's much easier to keep to the old maxim, 'one post, one subject', for this makes it so much easier for us to help you.

We hope you'll stick around. Puppy is well worth it, after the initial 'culture-shock' wears off, and is an incredibly versatile lightweight operating system, well-suited to keeping older hardware still useful.

Mike. :wink:

Keef

#5 Post by Keef »

I think XiaoSpence just wants to be able to display the fonts, not the locale or anything major like that. I don't know if there is an sfs available, but there may be some pets.
You can download a chinese font from here: http://www.study-area.org/apt/firefly-font/.
Hebrew from here: https://software.sil.org/ezra/
Also look around here: http://www.unifont.org/fontguide/ (thanks to MrDuckGuy for that link).
Unpack them and put the *.ttf files into /usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF
(this may vary slightly depending on your puplet, but anywhere inside /usr/share/fonts/ will do).
It is not over yet though....
Open a terminal in this directory (press ` if using rox) then run the following command:

Code: Select all

fc-cache -f -v

Some pups have a graphical utility to make this simpler - probably in the menu under Desktop.

oui

#6 Post by oui »

Hi XiaoSpence
I am actually as all days in one of probably more smaller 64 Linux versions having preinstalled Abiword and Gnumeric (main parts of the Gnome Office, -with gimp, but gimp is remplaced by us in Puppy by mTpaint-. You can extend the Gnome Office with the presentation MagicPoint also named (for installation etc.) mgp.

How small is the iso of that version of Wary (is the poor man in the team of Qirky's from Barry Kauler :idea: , for old PC, or news also of course)? Only under 140 MB.

The browser version is old and is not able to show the complex writing used in some countries in Asia, but gnumeric cań that, see my print screen.

You see at the top of the picture (center/right on the picture) which *.ttf I did add and the name of the target subdir at the bottom under the sheet where they have to be add in the system BEFORE you open the used application!

You can try other *.ttf files with other styles of char's (it is the reason because you see no Japanese column in the sheet showing the list of BASIC-English words, the 850 words English dialect from C. K. Ogden, translated by Google and not controlled :wink: : I am searching for a SMALL TTF.font with very pictural signs as painted with the brush, not written with the pencil and did not found adequate font :wink: )

I did build the build the sheet using the old version from Seamonkey, vers. 2.32, build in in Wary (that is without to see which text is coming in Chinese, Hindi or Tamil; the texts in Indonesia, of course, as pure alphabetic and without some accents etc., and Russian did be shown in the browser itself!).

ADD: 20200228 23:03: but I see now that the complexe char are comming on OWN HTLM4 pages I did write myself with composer from Mozilla! Also it is probably NOT an error in the old Seamonkey but an error ont the used online internet webpage :!:
Attachments
fontproblemsSmal.jpg
(103.54 KiB) Downloaded 165 times