Boot Puppy from your Android phone (workshop)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Atle

Boot Puppy from your Android phone (workshop)

#1 Post by Atle »

Hi folks...

After some back and forward i managed to install Puppy to my Android phones 8 gig SD card.

My first experience was that I could not just do a normal install as in making the SD card bootable. It made the SD card into FAT16, that my phone did not read. So it needed to be FAT32.

Here is a short description of my way of doing "IT".

First i take a backup of SD card by using "move" and not copy" after making all files viewable.

Android will make the folders it needs later to your SD card.

Then i run the bootflash USB installer, but STOP when it asks if I like to "INSTALL PUPPY"...

Then i transfer the files by using "copy" from a ISO that i mount and make a bootable file system, preferably Slacko(due to its wild "run in ram" ability i still look into)

Once this is done, I start my pc by using i live CD or another bootable USB device and then make it run pfix=ram. I have then taken out the HD of the laptop to concentrate my grub4dos installation to hit the SD card only.

Once laptop is booted i run Grub4dos and if the SD card is the only device present, it will install to the SD card.

Now once this works, you can have as many puppy versions on your SD card/android as you like.

I hope to trigger a discussion on how one can make a version that runs from the phone and gives most value for puppyland...

I assume a ram only system is the better as one can remove the phones USB cable and Puppy will just run.

Also because you then can use the USB internet connection from the phone to the PC your running. That is a very good choice if Wlan is not present on the PC or if your android does not support Wlan hotspot service.

Hell... let me be honest here... Would it not be nice to make a special Puppy for this and make a APP out of it? So one can download the app from Google Play and it makes the SD card bootable and installs Puppy right onto your phone???? :lol:

Frisbee is very useful in the sense of being nice on users when it comes to picking up a IP via USB cable...

Any ideas or suggestions?

I will make my own version of a Slacko to use RAM ONLY and give a nice and useful PC session. Since its a RAM ONLY idea, I might need to look into getting a portable version of Firefox in order to have ability to remember history and passwords.

Also... this is a nice way to run a secure session for banking i think.

Also to spread Puppy as one does bring this android thing around and i never leave home without the USB cable:-)

Atle

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Nice. Did you notice this thread?

Atle

#3 Post by Atle »

Nice. Did you notice this thread?
I did not before you notified, but its a rather opposite subject as its running Puppy ON the phone and not OFF. That's like really apart.

This thread is more like gathering information from other Puppy users that likes to bring a portable Puppy inside their Android that can be booted to most computers and also be installed if the new user loves the idea.

And of course serve as a useful tool that can have various puppy tools installed that fits into the concept of having a "Swiss Army OS" living inside their phone that are usually present more than any Live CD, USB drive or other.

Most people brings keys, money and mobile phone when they leave home... I hope to see others that also now brings a Puppy with them as well included in the "phone, key and money" basic "leave home" packet and maybe add a USB cable if intuition tells you to:-)