Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 18:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Using the latest Firefox in Lucid 5.28
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Semme

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 06:39    Post subject:  

So.. prefs >> apps >> highlight PDF >> dropdown >> use other >> done! Fine on 528..
Javelin Dan

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar 2013, 12:52    Post subject:  

Here’s an admittedly much lower tech solution for non-code writing dullards like me. There are a number of on-line repositories for Pet Packages available by simply Googling “Pet Packages for ___ (insert your Puppy here)”. For example, I found three lists of Pet Packages for Lucid 5 here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/, here: http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/, and here: http://ftp.vim.org/ibiblio/distributions/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/. The lists of software applications are in alphabetical order, with several offerings for each one listed with the oldest versions first, and the newest version on the bottom of the pile. IF you originally installed Firefox AFTER you installed the OS, you can do the following:

1.) Click on the desired version of Firefox (I always choose the newest version on the bottom of the heap). Click on “Save File”. Do the same for newest available version of Adobe Flashplayer.

2.) Go into Puppy Package manager and view the previously installed software in the lower left (?) corner.
Find your previously installed versions of Firefox and Flashplayer and delete (uninstall) them.

3.) Go to your desktop and click “Home”. Find your newly downloaded files for Firefox and Flashplayer there.
(Depending on your version of Puppy, you may have to look in your “Documents” file to find them.)

4.) Click on the new files separately to install them automatically as you would any other Pet Package.

I’m not sure how to uninstall or disable your browser if it came installed by default with the OS. Perhaps someone with more bona fides can weigh in here. You could obviously apply this method to any other browser or package on the lists. Note: if you’re looking for a particular piece of software, scour the lists carefully – while similar, they are NOT all the same. I remember I was once looking for Bleachbit, and only found it on one of the lists. I’ve had no problems with Firefox using this method, but once while I was experimenting with Opera, I installed the latest version available and it kept crashing on the version of Wary I was running at the time. I simply went back to the repository page, downloaded the next newest version of Opera (second from the bottom), deleted the newest and installed the slightly older one, and life was good again (including playing Flash videos). As always, not all Pet Packages work on all versions of Puppy, so your mileage may vary. This won't necessarily give you the latest "bleeding edge" version, but will always give you a current version that should work. Hope this helps some other raw newbie who like me, isn’t all that comfortable with the command line.
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar 2013, 13:41    Post subject:  

Quote:

1. I get a new page with a funny grey pattern with 6 squares on the desktop.
2. There was also a delay before I could start writing an url in the new tab. Is this a known problem?

1. I have this too. If one have Noscript addon then it is white or gray.
But without Noscript then these 6 squares have the latest six
pages you have visited.

2. I did not notice any such delay or I have forgot about it

Semme

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar 2013, 16:48    Post subject:  

Dan- unless FF won't update, the opening post is easier and assures the current build. No need to uninstall anything.
Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: