Take a Shot! - yet another screenshot utility...

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
SFR

#31 Post by SFR »

Version 1.4:

- output formats: removed - TGA, PCX, PPM; added - GIF
- added options to take sequence of snapshots
- 'Add datestamp' checkbox now adds only date
- new checkbox 'Add timestamp'
- program icon changed (/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-camera.xpm)
- lots of minor fixes

Now, a bit about the new 'sequence' feature.
When you select any of output formats except GIF, then if "Number of frames" is greater than 1, a subfolder will be created in which the sequence of snapshots will be saved.
In case of GIF, the result is already assembled animation.

'Number of frames' can be 1-999
'Frames per second' can be 1-10

So (see the first screenshot) having 250 frames and 10 fps we get 250/10=25 seconds of animation if it's GIF (see the second screenshot) or 250 "loose" images if it's PNG/JPG/BMP/TIF.

Just take seriously the built-in warning regarding huge GIFs - if it's too big, an attempt to view it in image viewer may lock up the system!

The new version was tested only on Slacko-5.7, so heads up about behaviuor in other Puplets are welcomed!

First post updated!

Have fun &
Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(29.95 KiB) Downloaded 897 times
Last edited by SFR on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 21:53, edited 2 times in total.
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

greengeek

#32 Post by greengeek »

All that in 220kb - nice!

SFR

#33 Post by SFR »

greengeek wrote:All that in 220kb - nice!
gifsicle --optimize=3 does that. :D
Unoptimized takes ~3.5M.

Btw, if gifsicle is present, optimization is applied automatically.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

musher0

#34 Post by musher0 »

Many thanks!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

nilsonmorales

review spanish translate for new package

#35 Post by nilsonmorales »

Good job!!
Attachments
tas.mo.tar.gz
Traduccion en español
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 636 times
[b][url=http://nilsonmorales.blogspot.com/]My blog |[/url][/b][b][url=https://github.com/woofshahenzup]| Github[/url][/b]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5tz5vrrX/imag018la6.gif[/img]
[img]http://s5.postimg.org/7h2fid8pz/botones_logos3.png[/img]

SFR

#36 Post by SFR »

Thanks Nilson, tas_NLS-1.4.pet uploaded.

Greetings!

gcmartin

#37 Post by gcmartin »

@SFR, Thanks for this update. I was hoping for such a tool to automate what we, as testors, do to support the developers of Puppy distros.

You have made our job so much easier with this update. We can now begin providing more meaningful pictures of what we want others to see.
THANKS!!!!!

Geoffrey

#38 Post by Geoffrey »

Doesn't create a gif in Wary 5.5, seems to be a problem with ffmpeg.

Code: Select all

built on Jul 25 2012 04:52:58 with gcc 4.3.4
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --cpu=i486 --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-x11grab --enable-small --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libfaac --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib --enable-postproc --disable-debug --enable-bzlib --enable-version3 --enable-libtheora --enable-swscale
  libavutil    51.  9. 1 / 51.  9. 1
  libavcodec   53.  8. 0 / 53.  8. 0
  libavformat  53.  5. 0 / 53.  5. 0
  libavdevice  53.  1. 1 / 53.  1. 1
  libavfilter   2. 23. 0 /  2. 23. 0
  libswscale    2.  0. 0 /  2.  0. 0
  libpostproc  51.  2. 0 / 51.  2. 0
[x11grab @ 0x8064390] device: :0.0+nomouse -> display: :0.0 x: 0 y: 0 width: 1440 height: 900
[x11grab @ 0x8064390] shared memory extension found
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/audio/beep_high.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
[x11grab @ 0x8064390] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
Input #0, x11grab, from ':0.0+nomouse':
  Duration: N/A, start: 1402056185.943210, bitrate: 1036800 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: rawvideo, bgra, 1440x900, 1036800 kb/s, 25 tbr, 1000k tbn, 25 tbc
[buffer @ 0x805fc80] w:1440 h:900 pixfmt:bgra tb:1/1000000 sar:0/1 sws_param:
[buffersink @ 0x805fd10] auto-inserting filter 'auto-inserted scaler 0' between the filter 'src' and the filter 'out'
Impossible to convert between the formats supported by the filter 'auto-inserted scaler 0' and the filter 'out'
Error opening filters!
gifsicle:<stdin>: empty file
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

SFR

#39 Post by SFR »

Geoffrey wrote:Doesn't create a gif in Wary 5.5, seems to be a problem with ffmpeg.
Ok, thanks for the info.
I just checked TAS vs. Wary in VBox - the problem was with PIX_FMT, which was set to pal8 for GIF.
Now for all formats it's just rgb24, like it was before.

Try tas-1.5, should be ok now.

Greetings!

Geoffrey

#40 Post by Geoffrey »

SFR wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Doesn't create a gif in Wary 5.5, seems to be a problem with ffmpeg.
Ok, thanks for the info.
I just checked TAS vs. Wary in VBox - the problem was with PIX_FMT, which was set to pal8 for GIF.
Now for all formats it's just rgb24, like it was before.

Try tas-1.5, should be ok now.

Greetings!
Thanks works a treat, an option to loop the gif would be nice, maybe even scale the image.

gifsicle works great at reducing the size, the original gif was 46.1 MB, down to 205.4 kB.

ffmpeg    -s $(xrandr  | awk '/, current /{ gsub(/\,/,""); print $8"x"$10}') -f x11grab -r 10  -i :0.0 -b 500k -pix_fmt rgb24 -y -loop_output 0 -vf scale=640:480 output.gif

gifsicle -V -i --optimize=3 --conserve-memory < /root/output.gif > /root/output2.gif
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

SFR

#41 Post by SFR »

an option to loop the gif would be nice
Hmm, here in Slacko-5.7 GIFs are looped (∞) by default and -loop_output isn't recognizable anymore in ffmpeg-2.0.x (seems it's been deprecated years ago).
-loop works fine, but not with Wary's ffmpeg-0.8.12...
I'll include some workaround in future release, probably sth like:
[ "`ffmpeg --help 2>&1 | grep 'loop_output'`" ] && loop_output || loop
maybe even scale the image
Perhaps, common for all output formats, option "Scale to:" would be a useful addition indeed, I have to rethink that...

Thanks again for the feedback &
Greetings!

SFR

#42 Post by SFR »

Version 1.6:

- fixed GIF looping issue in older versions of ffmpeg (thanks to Geoffrey)

- added "Scale (%)" option - in percents, so aspect ratio is preserved.
Range is 25%-100%.

- added command-line option "quick", which instantly takes a snapshot of the entire screen (incl. mouse cursor) and saves Quickshot.png to $HOME dir.
Usefull for binding with e.g. PrtSc key.
Invocation: tas quick

- handling of ffmpeg errors is now internal - no more logging to the console, but it's possible to view the log via xmessage (if something went wrong).

- destination directory doesn't have to be already there, it will be created if doesn't exist

- dir & filenames can contain any (hopefully) characters now, except % (which is used by ffmpeg to enumerate output files) and, only for filenames, / character, which will be replaced with _ char.

Btw, strange thing I noticed, while testing in Wary, Precise, Lucid and Carolina, is that resulting GIFs are being played ~1.5x faster than they should, regardless of resolution, fps, anything.
For example, having 10fps we'll get GIF with a 6ms delay, but should be 100/10=10ms.
Dunno why's that, probably too old ffmpeg, but fortunately I managed to fix that thanks to gifsicle, by reapplying the correct delay.

First post updated!

Greetings!

nilsonmorales

Spanish .mo file 1.6

#43 Post by nilsonmorales »

Saludos.
Attachments
tas-1.6.mo.tar.gz
Locales en español para tas-1.6
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 652 times
[b][url=http://nilsonmorales.blogspot.com/]My blog |[/url][/b][b][url=https://github.com/woofshahenzup]| Github[/url][/b]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5tz5vrrX/imag018la6.gif[/img]
[img]http://s5.postimg.org/7h2fid8pz/botones_logos3.png[/img]

SFR

#44 Post by SFR »

Thanks again, tas-NLS-1.6.pet updated.

Greetings!

greengeek

#45 Post by greengeek »

Amazing. This is fantastic SFR. Works perfectly in my derivative of slacko5.6
Love the fact that it doesn't overwrite previous screenshots (my usual annoying trick). Such an easy way to capture activity on the desktop. Great stuff.

SFR

#46 Post by SFR »

greengeek wrote:Amazing. This is fantastic SFR. Works perfectly in my derivative of slacko5.6
Love the fact that it doesn't overwrite previous screenshots (my usual annoying trick). Such an easy way to capture activity on the desktop. Great stuff.
Thanks Greengeek, I'm glad you like it! :)

Greetings!

charlie6

franch translation updated

#47 Post by charlie6 »

Hi SFR !
thanks for the 1.6 update !
here is the french locale udpated (merci Musher0 pour la traductiob initiale ! :)
greetings
Charlie
Attachments
MoManager-fr_BE-tas-1.6.tar.gz
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

SFR

#48 Post by SFR »

Thank you, NLS pet updated.

Btw, there were fr & fr_BE dirs and I included tas.mo from the latter, because I noticed it has better text alignment for 'GIF Warning'. Is that ok?

Greetings!

charlie6

#49 Post by charlie6 »

Hallo SFR !
schönen Gutentag !
SFR wrote:...Btw, there were fr & fr_BE dirs and I included tas.mo from the latter, because I noticed it has better text alignment for 'GIF Warning'. Is that ok?
It is OK indeed, the usr/share/locale/fr_BE/LC_MESSAGES/tas.mo is the latest update.
Yehhh...! Now having a look inside the MoManager-fr_BE-tas-1.tar.gz, it surprises me to find a tas.mo file inside a fr_BE folder besides the fr one. I did not check that ...sorry :oops: .

I thought MoMonager just ignored that «secundary fr_BE» locale as, till now, i have gotten only the fr one when running MoManager. Now i discover MM to make a fr_BE folder ... :shock: when choosing fr_BE upon MM start.

For further translations, i'll care to selet «fr»

Tschüsss !
Charlie

Sylvander

Re: Take a Shot! - yet another screenshot utility...

#50 Post by Sylvander »

SFR wrote:selecting region is a bit unusual: click on top-left corner of desired area and release mouse button, then click again on bottom-right corner
I was ready to give up on "Take a Shot!"...
Then I happened upon this thread...
Was going to post a question, but decided to read the 1st post before doing that...
And what-do-you-know! There was the answer. :D

Would be better if this little glitch didn't exist.