Installing Puppy On Macbook 3,1 (No Working CD Drive)

Booting, installing, newbie
Synthaddict

Installing Puppy On Macbook 3,1 (No Working CD Drive)

#1 Post by Synthaddict »

So i just got Puppy up and running on my macbook 3,1 by partioning the drive, using refit, and unetbootin. as i said in the title i dont have a working CD drive on the macbook, and it wont boot from a thumb drive, so what i did was use unetbootin to install the puppy iso to /dev/disk3 (my puppy partition) rebooted and then selected the puppy partition at the refit screen. to my knowledge this is running puppy like a usb thumb drive would.
so my question
if i cant boot from a thumb drive, and i dont have a working cd drive, is there anyway i can do a full install of puppy so i can use the space on the hard drive instead of making a personal save file?
sorry if this is a bit garbled,
-thanks! (and good to be here)

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Can you make another partition? Then you could boot your frugal Puppy out of /dev/disk3 and do a full install into /dev/disk4.

Synthaddict

#3 Post by Synthaddict »

Oddly enough i actually thought about doing this but then....didnt. for some reason. Thanks for the suggestion will try it out as soon as i get home :D

Synthaddict

#4 Post by Synthaddict »

Well I do appreciate the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work, so what I did was do a frugal install on one partition and use the other as my storage.
good enough for now

this is my first foray into linux and i honestly cannot believe how much faster puppy is compared to Windows or OS 10

lots to learn about it still but looking forward to it