How I cloned a Wine installation into an sfs file

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
dancytron

How I cloned a Wine installation into an sfs file

#1 Post by dancytron »

All of this was done on Lucid 528.

I used http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 994#635994 as the source of Wine.

What I did was install wine 1.4.1 as an sfs file Then I opened up winfiler and let it go through its install routine (let it download the Gecko stuff, not sure exactly where that went). Then, I installed Audible Manager. Then, I made a .sfs file out of the /root/.wine directory that wine had created when it installed..

Then, on a fresh (no wine ever installed) copy, I just loaded the wine 1.4.1 sfs and the /root/.wine sfs.

And believe it or not, it seems to work flawlessly both on my remastered Lucid and regular boot without a savefile lucid. Hardly any wine related stuff ends up in the save file. Audible works. Wine seems to work in general although I haven't tested it a lot.

edit - the sfs files seem to work on Precise 5.4.x.7 too.

edit again the next day - It seems I am able to put the root/.wine directory into a copy of the main Wine sfs file using the edit SFS program and to install more programs and "remaster" it after adding them (got the borders book ereader working too).

I don't think I can just give away the sfs with Audible and Borders Books on it because of copyright reasons, but I think sometime over the next few weeks I'll pick a few open source or free to share windows games and make an sfs and put it on dropbox for people to check out. It seems the best way to run Wine that I know of (unless I am missing some downside).

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Interesting idea. 8) What happens to the C: Drive folder? I always symlink it out to a non savefile location - to prevent savefile bloat and to share between different Puppy installs.

dancytron

#3 Post by dancytron »

darkcity wrote:Interesting idea. 8) What happens to the C: Drive folder? I always symlink it out to a non savefile location - to prevent savefile bloat and to share between different Puppy installs.
The c:\ folder ends up in .wine in the sfs file. That's where the gecko stuff ends up too. The .wine directory is about 70 mb in the sfs. Changes/new stuff ends up in the save file or ram depending how you are running. Its never been more than a few megabytes for me (unless I install something, but then I "remaster" it).

I made one to give out, I'll post it today sometime.

edit

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81353664/wine-1 ... ot_528.sfs

I installed GNU backgammon and wrote a .desktop file for it and put it in root (didn't remember to get the icon to work).

WindUpToy

#4 Post by WindUpToy »

Works nicely in Precise, and the Gnubg is just what I wanted. Thanks.

dancytron

#5 Post by dancytron »

Good to hear.

I think it is the best way to run Wine in Puppy, unless there is something I'm missing.

R-S-H

#6 Post by R-S-H »

dancytron wrote:Good to hear.

I think it is the best way to run Wine in Puppy
Totally agreed!

I do use this since the first version of LazY Puppy. Its LP2_Wine.sfs (earlier LazY528-Wine.sfs) has already included the gecko stuff (the sfs is about 90 MB). And I do use this version since the beginning (a parallel version including the Corel Draw Suite 8.3) and its working fine.

I'm also able to create RunScripts from so called 'Portable Applications' to run PortableApps Applications in WIne from a menu entry ---> LP2_Wine.sfs is loaded automatically by the RunScripts for this, so I didn't load the LP2_Wine.sfs manually for a very long time!

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

dancytron

#7 Post by dancytron »

I guess it was too obvious of an idea for me to have been the first one to think of it.

R-S-H

#8 Post by R-S-H »

dancytron wrote:I guess it was too obvious of an idea for me to have been the first one to think of it.
I doubt, me one would have been the first one on this idea!

It looks like you are the first one to publish a guide!

So, everything should be still fine!
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]