Need on-screen keyboard with mouse functions

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

Hotkey "Cheatsheet" pet

#121 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

Thanks once again to the programming excellence of SFR and his patience for my sometimes half-baked ideas, I'm pleased to attach an HotKey Help pet. Hopefully, its employment will ease the task a new computer user faces in learning how to accomplish anything.
I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. One of the problems faced by One-switch users is the time and effort they have to put in to accomplish anything in a “Mouse-centric
Attachments
HotKeySupplemental-0.1.pet
Additional Info regarding less common hot keys
(82.22 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
HotKeyHelp-0.1.pet
Hotkey help files
(194.54 KiB) Downloaded 550 times

greengeek

Re: Obtained script to get current display's width and height

#122 Post by greengeek »

mikeslr wrote:At any rate, xvkbd's documentation includes instructions on how to open xvkbd at a specified location and with specified dimensions. As my desktop is 1600x900, this is the script I used, code:

#!/bin/sh
xvkbd -geometry 850x180+595+650 -always-on-top &

850x180 define the width and height, respectively. 596+650 identify the width and height co-ordinates for the top right corner of the keyboard. (Oddly, given that the width of the keyboard appears first, I think the first positioning number for the height placement co-ordinate. Set this up on my Thinkpad about 2 hours ago).
Hi Mike, I have written a script to use this method of starting xvkbd (I am trying to control where on screen it starts) but I find that the xvkbd window does not open up at the same position every time I run the script. Did you experience this also?
This is how I open xvkbd:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
xvkbd -geometry 850x180+595+650 -always-on-top & 
I don't understand why the position would vary each time unless somehow jwm is over-riding the geometry info in the script. If so, why is this happening I wonder?

EDIT :Strangely - the behaviour seems to stabilise when I choose negative values and remove the trailing "&" eg:

#!/bin/sh
xvkbd -geometry -200-58 -always-on-top
This works ok for me at the moment (currently 1024x600 - will try other resolutions later)

mikeslr

Positioning onscreen keyboard

#123 Post by mikeslr »

Hi greengeek,

I ran into the same problem when I tried to unplugged a USB-Key install from a computer where my formula worked into another where it didn't.
SFR was kind enough to email me the following formula, for placing the keyboard slightly to the left of radar. Code:

#!/bin/sh
read MAXX MAXY <<< `xwininfo -root | awk 'NR>=8&&NR<=9 {print $2}'`
xvkbd -geometry $((($MAXX/2)+($MAXX/8)))x$(($MAXY/5))+$((($MAXX/2)-($MAXX/8)-192))+$(($MAXY-($MAXY/5)-64)) -always-on-top

But as you've discovered the use of negative commands, and they work, perhaps its best to follow the adage:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

mikesLr

greengeek

#124 Post by greengeek »

The thread which details the development of SFRs OneSwitch pet has now been split off from the original programming thread and relabelled so that it is easier for users to find it. New thread here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87418

Latest version of OneSwitch now kept updated in the first post of that thread

greengeek

#125 Post by greengeek »

I'm quite excited about my Autostart version of switchpup here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 66&start=2
It lets the disabled user get started without any configuration hassles. Works out of the box on my systems. Very keen to hear results from any testers.

Also my new usb interface for switchpups is an easily constructed item that works really well with SFRs "keyhunter" script, and a perfect accompaniment to my Autostart switchpup. Tutorial here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 03&start=2

xmf-149

#126 Post by xmf-149 »

i made one i don't know if it can help you though since i only use it when i'm too lazy to press the actual keys
this uses xdotool exclusively https://github.com/jordansissel/xdotool ... xdo_util.h

#!/bin/sh
export KB='<window title="keyboard">
<vbox homogeneous="true"><hbox space-fill="true">
<button use-underline="false" space-fill="true" space-expand="true">
<label>x</label>
<action signal="pressed">amixer -q set Master toggle &</action>
<action signal="released">amixer -q set Master toggle &</action>
</button>
<timer visible="false" interval="30" milliseconds="true">
 <variable>time</variable>
 <action signal="realize">disable:time</action>
 <action>test $mw = true && xdotool mousemove_relative -- 0 -2</action>
 <action>test $ma = true && xdotool mousemove_relative -- -2 0</action>
 <action>test $mS = true && xdotool mousemove_relative 0 2</action>
 <action>test $md = true && xdotool mousemove_relative 2 0</action>
</timer>'
for arrow in waSd aSdw Sdwa dwaS
do KB=$KB'
<checkbox use-underline="true" can-focus="no">
 <label>_'`echo $arrow|cut -c1`'</label>
 <variable>m'`echo $arrow|cut -c1`'</variable>
 <action>if true clear:m'`echo $arrow|cut -c2`'</action>
 <action>clear:m'`echo $arrow|cut -c3`'</action>
 <action>if true clear:m'`echo $arrow|cut -c4`'</action>
 <action>if true enable:time</action>
 <action>if false disable:time</action>
</checkbox>'
done
KB=$KB'</hbox><hbox space-fill="true">
<text visible="false">
 <variable>MOD</variable>
 <input>"[[ $ctrl = true ]] && echo -n ctrl+;
 [[ $function = true ]] && echo -n function+;
 [[ $alt = true ]] && echo -n alt+;
 [[ $shift = true ]] && echo -n shift+"</input>
</text>
<text visible="false">
 <variable>WD</variable>
 <input>xdotool selectwindow</input>
</text>
<button>
 <label>selectwindow</label>
 <action type="refresh">WD</action>
</button>'
for mod in ctrl function alt shift
do KB=$KB'
<checkbox>
 <label>'$mod'+</label>
 <variable>'$mod'</variable>
 <action type="refresh">MOD</action>
</checkbox>'
done
KB=$KB'</hbox>'
for Row in `echo '
Up_Down_Left_Right_Home_End
Escape_space_Tab_Return_BackSpace_Insert_Print_Delete
F1_F2_F3_F4_F5_F6_F7_F8_F9_F10_F11_F12_F35_
grave_1_2_3_4_5_6_7_8_9_0_minus_equal
comma_period_slash_semicolon_apostrophe_bracketleft_bracketright_backslash
a_b_c_d_e_f_g_h_i_j_k_l_m_n_o_p_q_r_s_t_u_v_w_x_y_z
A_B_C_D_E_F_G_H_I_J_K_L_M_N_O_P_Q_R_S_T_U_V_W_X_Y_Z'`
do KB=$KB'<hbox space-fill="true" homogeneous="false">'
for char in `echo $Row|tr _ ' '`
do KB=$KB'
<button space-fill="true" tooltip-text="">
 <label>'$char'</label>
 <action>xdotool key --window $WD ${MOD}'$char'</action>
</button>'
done
KB=$KB'</hbox>'
done
KB=$KB'</vbox></window>'
gtkdialog --program=KB &
Attachments
capture10221.png
(19.82 KiB) Downloaded 830 times
:!: :!: :!:

greengeek

#127 Post by greengeek »

Interesting idea. As a matter of interest, what is "F35"?

Ted Dog

#128 Post by Ted Dog »

This is useful thanks for posting, :mrgreen:

That would be ideal with layout switched bottom to top or doing row selection bottoms up. And if we use this with speech enabled it makes better since its A B C D.. you can predict what letter would be next without looking.

Ted Dog

#129 Post by Ted Dog »

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-xdotool/

Dang IBM trying to steal my idea... :lol:,

Atle

Current best choice...

#130 Post by Atle »

Hi folks...

I shall install a laptop for a severely disabled person that can only use a joystick.

I am looking for the best solution by using Puppy and or even other Linux distroes.

This is a very long thread and I can not really get the grip of what is the best solution for someone that uses joystick only.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Atle

greengeek

#131 Post by greengeek »

Hi Atle - at the moment I don't know of any joystick solutions in puppy. This is one of the things I want to work on once I have fully set up the one-switch pups to my satisfaction.

A joystick pup would probably benefit quickly from having a thread of it's own if there is not already one, as I think there are probably a significant number of forum members who might have info to offer due to their gaming experience.

One question would be - how much control does the disabled user have? Are they only able to use the four directions, or are they also able to manipulate the other mouse buttons etc that are on a gaming mouse? (I guess it depends on the individual disability...)

Ted Dog

Re: Current best choice...

#132 Post by Ted Dog »

Atle wrote:Hi folks...

I shall install a laptop for a severely disabled person that can only use a joystick.

I am looking for the best solution by using Puppy and or even other Linux distroes.

This is a very long thread and I can not really get the grip of what is the best solution for someone that uses joystick only.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Atle
A joystick should work like a mouse, I've used three different pointer systems and they worked well without effecting the other, whatever was used, controlled the mouse, his included active one switch.
Some joysticks also work like a keyboards, back in my day making flight testing systems for NASA and USAF, we used a off the shelf top-of the line joysticks, just added stiffer springs and a lot of lead to produce the feel of the real flight joystick. It was a mapped keyboard input.

My view is to start with the hardest (oneSwitch) and continue to add functionally (oneClick - remote wireless oneSwitch) multiSwitch (integrating multiple OneSwitches ) headTracking (mouseCam), eyeTracking (like mouseCam but closer on eyes) JOYSTICK, then finally Voice control.
The final puppy should have all the above and be engineered to transition cleanly to whatever setup is available.

Text to Speech and onscreen keyboard integrated with radar, and auto-complete typing (speaking) .

Fortunately, almost all this is already in some stage of use, but joystick control would be useful, so go for it, it should be easier than most of the above list, and I do not know if anyone is currently working on it. If it maps as a keyboard, then it would be very easy to merge with current code, as a mouse mapping it would be easy if that is the need, would need to map a button as the oneswitch, which could be harder.

Atle

#133 Post by Atle »

Hi Atle - at the moment I don't know of any joystick solutions in puppy. This is one of the things I want to work on once I have fully set up the one-switch pups to my satisfaction.

A joystick pup would probably benefit quickly from having a thread of it's own if there is not already one, as I think there are probably a significant number of forum members who might have info to offer due to their gaming experience.

One question would be - how much control does the disabled user have? Are they only able to use the four directions, or are they also able to manipulate the other mouse buttons etc that are on a gaming mouse? (I guess it depends on the individual disability...)
This person can handle a electric wheelchair with a joystick. The joystick system is also used on the PC, that currently runs a shitty Window. The PC joystick is a special one for severely disabled with 4 large buttons that probably has some functions in Windows with a device specific driver(?)

The joystick is without small buttons like you see on a gaming mouse and his capability does not support small buttons neither.

But he does the 4 ways on the joystick and can handle that and some larger buttons as well.

I think the joystick is USB and I shall test drive it using whatever Puppy desired to see if it comes up as anything.
A joystick should work like a mouse, I've used three different pointer systems and they worked well without effecting the other, whatever was used, controlled the mouse, his included active one switch.
Some joysticks also work like a keyboards, back in my day making flight testing systems for NASA and USAF, we used a off the shelf top-of the line joysticks, just added stiffer springs and a lot of lead to produce the feel of the real flight joystick. It was a mapped keyboard input.

My view is to start with the hardest (oneSwitch) and continue to add functionally (oneClick - remote wireless oneSwitch) multiSwitch (integrating multiple OneSwitches ) headTracking (mouseCam), eyeTracking (like mouseCam but closer on eyes) JOYSTICK, then finally Voice control.
The final puppy should have all the above and be engineered to transition cleanly to whatever setup is available.

Text to Speech and onscreen keyboard integrated with radar, and auto-complete typing (speaking) .

Fortunately, almost all this is already in some stage of use, but joystick control would be useful, so go for it, it should be easier than most of the above list, and I do not know if anyone is currently working on it. If it maps as a keyboard, then it would be very easy to merge with current code, as a mouse mapping it would be easy if that is the need, would need to map a button as the oneswitch, which could be harder.
So then the SwitchPup would be the best thing to begin with then?

I can load this on my own laptop and try to connect the joystick.

Thanks for great answers from both of you

Best

Atle

And from there one adds more stuff?

mikeslr

Ratpoison -- mouseless window manager

#134 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Just wanted to bring to your attention that Billtoo has published a pet of Ratpoison, a window manager which does not depend on the use of a mouse/trackball; that is window functions can be performed solely thru keyboard commands. See the following post for the pet, a launcher which can be used in conjunction with it for quick access to favorite applications, and Ratpoisons default keybindings.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 237#739237

mikesLr

standard7452

Back and Sorry

#135 Post by standard7452 »

Hello all,

I had some serious family/health problems happen since i visited this forum and requested help for the individuals I work with.

Thank you for all of your time working on this. I am now back on the job and I am so sorry that I didn't get back in touch.

I am reviewing the thread to see what I have missed because you guys did such an awesome job on this.

Thanks!
Will Best

standard7452

#136 Post by standard7452 »

I cannot believe what this community put together...I was just able to download and run SwitchPup.

Wow, I feel terrible that I fell off the face of the earth, but this is the solution I had hoped and dreamed for!

I am using SwitchPup with one of my guys today and tomorrow and will upload some video of them using it, just so you know your contributions were not a futile effort considering my lack of involvement as the requester.

Thank you!

Will Best

standard7452

#137 Post by standard7452 »

I cannot believe what this community put together...I was just able to download and run SwitchPup.

Wow, I feel terrible that I fell off the face of the earth, but this is the solution I had hoped and dreamed for!

I am using SwitchPup with one of my guys today and tomorrow and will upload some video of them using it, just so you know your contributions were not a futile effort considering my lack of involvement as the requester.

Thank you!

Will Best

Pelo

Some Puppies include a virtual keyboard

#138 Post by Pelo »

Some Puppies include a virtual keyboard to write some feed back to the developer, or Puppy builder as you like.
Siba Inu has xvkbd included con spanish y las tildes for typing your topic to josejp2424
Attachments
escribir.jpg
Teclado. Of course you need to have learnt Spanish before. now practice !
(87.15 KiB) Downloaded 102 times