Wary and Racy Puppy 5.5 Release Candidates

Please post any bugs you have found
zekebaby

Racy (and Quirky) OK, Wary not so good

#31 Post by zekebaby »

I just gave Racy, Quirky, and Wary a quick frugal install on a Dell D430 laptop with a B43 wireless chipset.

Racy and Quirky both seem to work equally well with absolutely no issues so far. Solid as usual.

Wary, on the other hand, has a really annoying issue with SeaMonkey. Scrolling is not smooth and fluid like in Racy and Quirky; it seems to "stutter". Also, there's a small but perceptible lag when switching tabs when compared with Racy.

My main distro on this laptop is Puppy Precise 5.4.3, which also has no issues. I just tried Wary 5.3 and it also seems to stutter in SeaMonkey, so this may not be a new problem. I'm 99% sure Wary 5.2.2 was OK, but I don't have the ISO handy to give it a try right now.

Did something change in Wary SeaMonkey between 5.2.2 and 5.3, or could this be a system-related problem?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

OscarTalks wrote:The tg3 ethernet driver module does not work with my Broadcom NetLink 57788 (and some others, so I am told).

I downloaded the latest driver tarball from http://www.broadcom.com/support/etherne ... nk_k57.php and compiled it.

It works for me and I will attach it but I expect you will wish to compile your own.

I notice those *.ko drivers in that directory are not stripped so I didn't strip this one. Do we know if they are best left not stripped?
Kernel modules do not get stripped, not that I know of anyway.

Thanks for that update, I have replaced the tg3 module with yours in the kernel pet package.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#33 Post by BarryK »

esmourguit wrote:Bonjour à toutes et tous,

It seems that I have a problem with remasterpup2.
Just after validated in this window, the attached message is displayed:

Cordialement ;)
That means the syntax for Xdialog is wrong.

I cannot reproduce this problem. I changed to de_DE.UTF-8, but it still worked.

After the first window, there is a "Please wait" window, then another window with a menu-list of partitions to choose a working partition.

You are crashing before that.

Do you get the "Please wait" window before the crash?

Have you run 'remasterpup2' from a terminal to see if there are any more error messages?

After it has crashed, you will find a file '/tmp/savedlg' -- please gzip that and post it here. That should tell us why the Xdialog is crashing.

L18L

remasterpup2

#34 Post by L18L »

/tmp/savedialog is ok
my crash is coming later and not language dependent

I have no CD/DVD and use 'virtual cd'
added some echos into function choice_cdd

Code: Select all

echo m_01="$m_01"
  echo MSG="$MSG"
  echo m_14_1="$m_14_1"
  echo SELECTIONS="$SELECTIONS"
 DIALOG="Xdialog --wrap --left --title \"$m_01\" --stdout --menubox \"$MSG\n\n$m_14_1\" 0 56 4 $SELECTIONS 2> /dev/null"
 echo DIALOG="$DIALOG"
 BURNERDRV=""
 RESULT=$(eval "$DIALOG") #w018	# 22jun09
 [ $? -ne 0 ] && exit
 BURNERDRV=$RESULT
 [ "$BURNERDRV" = "" ] && exit
 BURNERDRV="`echo -n "$BURNERDRV" | cut -f 3 -d '/'`"
	echo ending choice_cdd
and started remasterpup2 in English from console:

# LC_ALL=C remasterpup2
/usr/sbin/remasterpup2: line 288: 22023 Terminated              Xdialog --wrap --left --title "$m_01" --no-buttons --ignore-eof --infobox "$m_06" 0 0 0
WKGPART=sda3

Usage:
 losetup-FULL loop_device                             give info
 losetup-FULL -a | --all                              list all used
 losetup-FULL -d | --detach <loopdev> [<loopdev> ...] delete
 losetup-FULL -f | --find                             find unused
 losetup-FULL -c | --set-capacity <loopdev>           resize
 losetup-FULL -j | --associated <file> [-o <num>]     list all associated with <file>
 losetup-FULL [ options ] {-f|--find|loopdev} <file>  setup

Options:
 -e | --encryption <type> enable data encryption with specified <name/num>
 -h | --help              this help
 -o | --offset <num>      start at offset <num> into file
      --sizelimit <num>   loop limited to only <num> bytes of the file
 -p | --pass-fd <num>     read passphrase from file descriptor <num>
 -r | --read-only         setup read-only loop device
      --show              print device name (with -f <file>)
 -v | --verbose           verbose mode

MSG=This remaster program needs to read some files off the current live-CD.
You can also use a .iso file if it is already mounted as a virtual CD (you would need to have previously clicked on a .iso file to mount it).
starting choice_cdd
m_01=Puppy simple CD remaster
You can also use a .iso file if it is already mounted as a virtual CD (you would need to have previously clicked on a .iso file to mount it).
m_14_1=Choose the CD/DVD drive...
SELECTIONS=  /dev/loop2 
DIALOG=Xdialog --wrap --left --title "Puppy simple CD remaster" --stdout --menubox "This remaster program needs to read some files off the current live-CD.
You can also use a .iso file if it is already mounted as a virtual CD (you would need to have previously clicked on a .iso file to mount it).\n\nChoose the CD/DVD drive..." 0 56 4   /dev/loop2  2> /dev/null
# 
echo ending choice_cdd
has not been executed because of crash
hope this helps

Also see my comment from feb 26 at
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00146 which is not a show stopper but if you can fix that would be nice.

sszindian

Racy-5.4.91

#35 Post by sszindian »

Racy-5.4.91

Yes, it was designed with more-modern computer systems in mind but...

Just had to try it on my old...

IBM T22 Thinkpad
P3
512MB RAM
20GB HDD

The new Racy-5.4.91 performs just beautiful on it!!! looks like this old notebook will be around for at least a few more years yet :)

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

gcmartin

Re: Racy-5.4.91

#36 Post by gcmartin »

sszindian wrote:Racy-5.4.91...

IBM T22 Thinkpad
P3
512MB RAM
20GB HDD

The new Racy-5.4.91 performs just beautiful on it!!! looks like this old notebook will be around for at least a few more years yet :)

>>>---Indian------>
Hello everyone.
Edited 2013/03/01: This post was generated without knowing that the RACY distro has changed from itsoriginal PAE offering to a non-PAE distro. I missed that announcement from Barry and had assumed his traditional meaning where WARY being a non-PAE and RACY was the PAE version of the same products within the 2 distros.

Today, BOTH Wary and Racy are non-PAE versions

The following information below ONLY applies to the old RACY versions of 5.4.x back to RACY's original release.
even though there remains confusion with some of the Puppy (and Linux too) community, RACY is design in such a way that it is expected to run on 99% of the world computers which has from 384MB RAM (this is from ONLY my own past testing and is NOT BARRY's or anyone else's RAM recommendation) all the way to as much RAM you could possible add to your computer. There are some computers in the world that do not have the 32bit hardware feature to use the RACY (or any PAE aware distro). This mean that for as long as you run your 32bit PC no matter how much ran you have or install while you run PAE Pups, it will recognized and make effective use of all RAM to suit your system needs.

WARY and non-PAE PUPs will run equally as well, but, it cannot reach more than 3.5GB of RAM for your needs.. PAE has no such limitation. It will use all that it finds for all of your system uses.

PAE has been a feature of 32bit PCs since 1995..

This is merely presented for understanding as many may not necessarily be aware and thus confusion could result because the 2 look so much alike at the desktop level. But, under the hood there's "rrr...." for your benefit (assuming your PC is one of most of all desktop/laptops made.). IFF not, just understand that Puppyland has addressed NON-PAE as well. WARY is non-PAE and RACY is PAE, hence, its name (which probably resulted from findings that members in Puppyland discovered when surfacing this missing component)

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 06:24, edited 2 times in total.

don570

#37 Post by don570 »

I tested Racy and found that it works with Abispell dictionaries
I tested the French (see image)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=604453

It's simple to install the languages that you use as pet packages...

James C

Re: Racy-5.4.91

#38 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote:
sszindian wrote:Racy-5.4.91...

IBM T22 Thinkpad
P3
512MB RAM
20GB HDD

>>>---Indian------>
Hello everyone. even though there remains confusion with some of the Puppy (and Linux too) community, RACY is design in such a way that it is expected to run on 99% of the world computers which has from 384MB RAM (this is from ONLY my own past testing and is NOT BARRY's or anyone else's RAM recommendation) all the way to as much RAM you could possible add to your computer. There are some computers in the world that do not have the 32bit hardware feature to use the RACY (or any PAE aware distro). This mean that for as long as you run your 32bit PC no matter how much ran you have or install while you run PAE Pups, it will recognized and make effective use of all RAM to suit your system needs.

WARY and non-PAE PUPs will run equally as well, but, it cannot reach more than 3.5GB of RAM for your needs.. PAE has no such limitation. It will use all that it finds for all of your system uses.

PAE has been a feature of 32bit PCs since 1995..

This is merely presented for understanding as many may not necessarily be aware and thus confusion could result because the 2 look so much alike at the desktop level. But, under the hood there's "rrr...." for your benefit (assuming your PC is one of most of all desktop/laptops made.). IFF not, just understand that Puppyland has addressed NON-PAE as well. WARY is non-PAE and RACY is PAE, hence, its name (which probably resulted from findings that members in Puppyland discovered when surfacing this missing component)

Here to help
Since Racy 5.4.9.1 is non-pae the meaning of your post is........?
Racy 5.5RC has the 3.8.0 Linux kernel, configured without PAE support (so only accesses first 4MB of RAM), and for a i586 CPU. It also has 'f2fs' (Flash Friendly File System) support, which is the main reason I was keen to use the 3.8 kernel.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/test/r ... readme.htm

don570

#39 Post by don570 »

Racy booted into vesa

I put the following section into /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(I copied these lines from another Puppy)

Section "Device"
Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "nouveau" #card0driver
	VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
	BoardName   "NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
I restarted Xwindows and the computer now used the 'nouveau' driver.

I could have also used the 'xorgwizard' as well.

But I found that I couldn't use the 'nv' driver. Apparently it
won't be supported by this advanced kernel???

BarryK
Puppy Master

#40 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:Racy booted into vesa

I put the following section into /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(I copied these lines from another Puppy)

Section "Device"
Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "nouveau" #card0driver
	VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
	BoardName   "NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
I restarted Xwindows and the computer now used the 'nouveau' driver.

I could have also used the 'xorgwizard' as well.

But I found that I couldn't use the 'nv' driver. Apparently it
won't be supported by this advanced kernel???

I do need to take a fresh look at this, but unfortunately it is going to take a lot of messing around, and I will have to setup my PCs, that are currently stored in a garage.

Will have to do that as a project after Racy/Wary 5.5 is released.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#41 Post by BarryK »

Mplayer full-screen fixed for Racy:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00155

Please note, if you have to run the xorg 'vesa' driver, or the 'kdrive 'Xvesa' in Wary, video cannot be resized.

OscarTalks

#42 Post by OscarTalks »

I have Racy 5.3 running on one of my "everyday" machines here and had noticed that videos don't maximise to full screen in mplayer.

Installed the .pet from your blog and found that the menu entry vanished. In the .desktop file is it OK to change the "Categories=BuildingBlock" to "Categories=AudioVideo" and also "Exec=exec mplayershell" to just "Exec=mplayershell"?

Also I tried playing a 16:9 ratio video on this 4:3 monitor and when I maximise the video window it just fills the screen and the ratios are wrong (it should leave black strips top and bottom I suppose).
Oscar in England

gcmartin

#43 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Jame C. I missed that. And was operating on the assumptions of Barry's original premise for each of these 2 distro. I missed that he has change that.

Thanks for the update. I am to edit my post to not confuse.

Thanks for you help

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: remasterpup2

#44 Post by BarryK »

L18L wrote:/tmp/savedialog is ok
my crash is coming later and not language dependent

I have no CD/DVD and use 'virtual cd'
added some echos into function choice_cdd

echo m_01="$m_01"
  echo MSG="$MSG"
  echo m_14_1="$m_14_1"
  echo SELECTIONS="$SELECTIONS"
 DIALOG="Xdialog --wrap --left --title "$m_01" --stdout --menubox "$MSG\n\n$m_14_1" 0 56 4 $SELECTIONS 2> /dev/null"
 echo DIALOG="$DIALOG"
 BURNERDRV=""
 RESULT=$(eval "$DIALOG") #w018	# 22jun09
 [ $? -ne 0 ] && exit
 BURNERDRV=$RESULT
 [ "$BURNERDRV" = "" ] && exit
 BURNERDRV="`echo -n "$BURNERDRV" | cut -f 3 -d '/'`"
	echo ending choice_cdd
and started remasterpup2 in English from console:

# LC_ALL=C remasterpup2
/usr/sbin/remasterpup2: line 288: 22023 Terminated              Xdialog --wrap --left --title "$m_01" --no-buttons --ignore-eof --infobox "$m_06" 0 0 0
WKGPART=sda3

Usage:
 losetup-FULL loop_device                             give info
 losetup-FULL -a | --all                              list all used
 losetup-FULL -f | --find                             find unused
 losetup-FULL -c | --set-capacity <loopdev>           resize
 losetup-FULL -j | --associated <file> [-o <num>]     list all associated with <file>
 losetup-FULL [ options ] {-f|--find|loopdev} <file>  setup

Options:
 -h | --help              this help
 -o | --offset <num>      start at offset <num> into file
      --sizelimit <num>   loop limited to only <num> bytes of the file
 -p | --pass-fd <num>     read passphrase from file descriptor <num>
 -r | --read-only         setup read-only loop device
      --show              print device name (with -f <file>)
 -v | --verbose           verbose mode

starting choice_cdd
m_01=Puppy simple CD remaster
m_14_1=Choose the CD/DVD drive...
SELECTIONS=  /dev/loop2 
DIALOG=Xdialog --wrap --left --title "Puppy simple CD remaster" --stdout --menubox "This remaster program needs to read some files off the current live-CD.
You can also use a .iso file if it is already mounted as a virtual CD (you would need to have previously clicked on a .iso file to mount it).\n\nChoose the CD/DVD drive..." 0 56 4   /dev/loop2  2> /dev/null
# 
echo ending choice_cdd
has not been executed because of crash
hope this helps

Also see my comment from feb 26 at
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00146 which is not a show stopper but if you can fix that would be nice.

I found the cause. I was using losetup-FULL from the latest util-linux package from git, however, Racy and Wary are now using util-linux 2.2.1.2, an older version. The o/p of losetup is different on the older version. Even the commandline is different -- with busybox losetup and latest util-linux losetup, just typing "losetup" without any parameters, returns info on all in-use loop devices.

But not the older util-linux, it gives an error message. It requires "losetup-FULL -a".

Anyway, Racy 5.5RC2, which I am uploading right now, has the fix.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#45 Post by BarryK »

OscarTalks wrote:I have Racy 5.3 running on one of my "everyday" machines here and had noticed that videos don't maximise to full screen in mplayer.

Installed the .pet from your blog and found that the menu entry vanished. In the .desktop file is it OK to change the "Categories=BuildingBlock" to "Categories=AudioVideo" and also "Exec=exec mplayershell" to just "Exec=mplayershell"?

Also I tried playing a 16:9 ratio video on this 4:3 monitor and when I maximise the video window it just fills the screen and the ratios are wrong (it should leave black strips top and bottom I suppose).
Mplayer problems are fixed, see my blog post:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00155

BarryK
Puppy Master

#46 Post by BarryK »

Racy 5.4.93 (5.5RC2) is out. See my blog post:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00157

That should be the last RC, hopefully. There are some little things to fix, but they won't necessitate an RC3.

esmourguit

#47 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à toutes et tous,

@ Barry Kauler

I didn't get the "Please wait" window. It crashed before.

I ran 'remasterpup2' from a terminal and here is what i got :
# remasterpup2

Gtk-CRITICAL (recursed) **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

Gtk-CRITICAL (recursed) **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
/usr/sbin/remasterpup2: line 278: 5087 Terminated Xdialog --wrap --left --title "$m_01" --no-buttons --ignore-eof --infobox "$m_06" 0 0 0
WKGPART=sda1

Usage:
losetup-FULL loop_device give info
losetup-FULL -a | --all list all used
losetup-FULL -f | --find find unused
losetup-FULL -c | --set-capacity <loopdev> resize
losetup-FULL -j | --associated <file> [-o <num>] list all associated with <file>
losetup-FULL [ options ] {-f|--find|loopdev} <file> setup

Options:
-h | --help this help
-o | --offset <num> start at offset <num> into file
--sizelimit <num> loop limited to only <num> bytes of the file
-p | --pass-fd <num> read passphrase from file descriptor <num>
-r | --read-only setup read-only loop device
--show print device name (with -f <file>)
-v | --verbose verbose mode
Here are 2 savedlg2 files : one after the first crash and the other after the second crash :

#!/bin/sh
Xdialog --wrap --left --stdout --title "Puppy simple CD remaster" --menubox "A working area is required in which to create the new live-CD iso file.\n Here are the available partitions. You must choose one that has at least 175M free space on it. Also, if you choose to create an ISO file rather than burn direct to CD/DVD, then you will need an extra 100 - 200MB space (whatever the size of ISO file is going to be). \n\n If the partition that you would like to use has less than 175M free space on it, you will need to quit this script and delete some files. \nNote 1: you can use a usb drive, but it needs to have been plugged in before running this script, so that it will get detected.\n Note 2: you can use the tmpfs ramdisk, which is in RAM, if it has enough space.
 \n Highlight desired choice then click OK button..." 0 0 5 sdb1 "Filesystem: ntfs  Size: 286165M  Free: 115456M (not mounted)" \
sda1 "Filesystem: ext3  Size: 238441M  Free: 35967M (currently mounted)" \
sda2 "Filesystem: ext3  Size: 238496M  Free: 6461M (currently mounted)" \
ramdisk "Filesystem: tmpfs  Size: 755M  Free: 750M (currently mounted)" \
 > /tmp/tag.txt

#!/bin/sh
Xdialog --wrap --left --stdout --title "Puppy simple CD remaster" --menubox "A working area is required in which to create the new live-CD iso file.
Here are the available partitions. You must choose one that has at least 175M free space on it. Also, if you choose to create an ISO file rather than burn direct to CD/DVD, then you will need an extra 100 - 300MB space (whatever the size of ISO file is going to be).

If the partition that you would like to use has less than 175M free space on it, you will need to quit this script and delete some files.

Note 1: you can use a usb drive, but it needs to have been plugged in before running this script, so that it will get detected.
Note 2: you can use the tmpfs ramdisk, which is in RAM, if it has enough space.

Highlight desired choice then click OK button..." 0 80 5 sdb1 "Filesystem: ntfs  Size: 286165M  Free: 115456M (not mounted)" \
sda1 "Filesystem: ext3  Size: 238441M  Free: 35738M (currently mounted)" \
sda2 "Filesystem: ext3  Size: 238496M  Free: 6456M (currently mounted)" \
ramdisk "Filesystem: tmpfs  Size: 755M  Free: 736M (currently mounted)" \
 > /tmp/tag.txt

And here is the xerrs.log, after the first crash :

#!/bin/sh
Xdialog --wrap --left --stdout --title "Puppy simple CD remaster" --menubox "A working area is required in which to create the new live-CD iso file.\n Here are the available partitions. You must choose one that has at least 175M free space on it. Also, if you choose to create an ISO file rather than burn direct to CD/DVD, then you will need an extra 100 - 200MB space (whatever the size of ISO file is going to be). \n\n If the partition that you would like to use has less than 175M free space on it, you will need to quit this script and delete some files. \nNote 1: you can use a usb drive, but it needs to have been plugged in before running this script, so that it will get detected.\n Note 2: you can use the tmpfs ramdisk, which is in RAM, if it has enough space.
 \n Highlight desired choice then click OK button..." 0 0 5 sdb1 "Filesystem: ntfs  Size: 286165M  Free: 115456M (not mounted)" \
sda1 "Filesystem: ext3  Size: 238441M  Free: 35967M (currently mounted)" \
sda2 "Filesystem: ext3  Size: 238496M  Free: 6461M (currently mounted)" \
ramdisk "Filesystem: tmpfs  Size: 755M  Free: 750M (currently mounted)" \
 > /tmp/tag.txt
I hope it helps...

Cordialement ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

L18L

#48 Post by L18L »

in file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm link to Barry's blog should link to blog2 :)

translators may do this in their translated file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm
---

edited later:
the link is already pointing to blog2 :lol: :oops:

How did this happen?
I had downloaded and used 5.4.91 :oops:

Now in Racy 5.4.93 it is OK and (edit: added Racy)

@esmourguit,
are you sure you are using 5.4.93 :?:

I could run remasterpup2 without crash now :wink:
Last edited by L18L on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

#49 Post by L18L »

hardinfo
operating system
distribution displays just "Puppy Linux"

no "Racy" :cry:
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
gunzip it
(3.96 KiB) Downloaded 542 times

esmourguit

Re: Wary and Racy Puppy 5.5 Release Candidates

#50 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à toutes et tous,
@L18L
L18L wrote:@esmourguit,
are you sure you are using 5.4.93 :?:
No, i am using and talking about Wary 5.4.90.
Cordialement ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]