Puppy Slacko 5.4 as host for VirtualBox

Using applications, configuring, problems
wiwa64

Puppy Slacko 5.4 as host for VirtualBox

#1 Post by wiwa64 »

I don't succeed in installing VirtualBox under Puppy Slacko 5.4 as host. Whenever i try to start it, it says:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ReactOS.

The virtual machine 'ReactOS' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Machine
Interface: IMachine {22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858}
and

Kernel driver not installed(rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission
problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first.
This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel
module if nexessary.
The file '/dev/vboxdrv' does indeed not exist, but when i try to follow the advice and run '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' i only get this:

sh-4.1# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
  (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
Looking into '/var/log/vbox-install.log' shows this:

sh-4.1# cat /var/log/vbox-install.log
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/3.2.33-4g/build modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
echo;								\
echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
echo "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
echo;								\
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/linux/.SUPDrv-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.7.1/include -I/usr/src/linux/arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated -Iinclude  -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Os -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -march=i686 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fomit-frame-pointer -include /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/SUPDrvMangling.h -I/lib/modules/3.2.33-4g/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DFORTIFY_RUNNING -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(SUPDrv_linux)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/.tmp_SUPDrv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c
gcc: error trying to exec '/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.7.1/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/as': execv: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler
In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/the-linux-kernel.h:117:0,
                 from /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:32:
include/linux/nls.h: In function ‘nls_nullsize’:
include/linux/nls.h:98:2: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of ‘codepage->uni2char’ differ in signedness [-Wpointer-sign]
include/linux/nls.h:98:2: note: expected ‘unsigned char *’ but argument is of type ‘char *’
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [vboxdrv] Error 2
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 346: /opt/VirtualBox/src/vboxhost/build_in_tmp: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 346: /opt/VirtualBox/src/vboxhost/build_in_tmp: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
I tried it with three different versions:
  • virtualbox-4.1.18.sfs
    virtualbox-4.2.2.sfs
    virtualbox-4.2.6-x86_base.pet
but the result was always the same. I also tried 'make oldconfig' and 'make prepare' as suggested but this didn't have any visible effect.

The Puppy linux installation i used consists essentially of the following modules:
  • puppy_slacko_5.4.sfs
    devx_slacko_5.4.sfs
    kernel_sources-3.2.33-4g.sfs
and i hope this is enough information to give my useful advice to get the VirtualBox running

wiwa64

#2 Post by wiwa64 »

Well, i eventually solved the problem. There is indeed a lot of know-how in the forum. The problem is just to find ist. :(