Trouble with Grub [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
bobc

Trouble with Grub [SOLVED]

#1 Post by bobc »

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop that I installed puppy precise 5.7 on today. I installed it to sda6. I have 1 drive in it, and that's 16 gb, and its partitioned with

sda1 - antiX 13.2
sda2 - swap
sda3 - extended partition to contain sda5 and sda6
sda5 - Manjaro 0.8.9 Openbox - with grub 2 bootable
sda6 - Puppy Precise 5.7

It installed just fine, and its a very nice install, I might add, taking care of many things not handled as well by other distros.

Ok, so the install finishes and I go to install grub and try "Legacy GRUB Config 2013". It gives me a screen telling me some lines I can add to my grub if I don't want to use the tool. I select full, but then see I can't use Quick mode because puppy isnt in sda1, so then I look at Expert mode, but see I can't use that as I don't have windows or ubuntu loaded, so I cancel.

Well, now, I guess my system doesn't know how to boot this puppy. I go and look, and there is no /boot directory. Ok, so I make one and copy initrd.gz, vmlinuz and puppy_precise_5.7.sfs from my USB ISO to it.

Is that all I need to copy in? Was there a better way I should have done it? It would have been better if it had put the right files in the boot directory for me, but then I'm thinking, maybe its just somewhere else?

Hmmmm, I've got it to where it boots up, but have worse problems. It doesn't seem to know its running from the hard drive, so its lost all the setup stuff I did before, like the time zone, touchpad, wifi connect and password, etc.

That's where I need help, because I don't know what it should have done...

PS: I went to configure the startup, and it said I need to create a save file first. When I tried to shut it down it asked a huge number of questions wanting to create a save file, and I don't want to erase the other operating systems by mistake, and didn't want to set aside 512 mb for a save file, but I notice that .sfs extension on the puppy_precise_5.7.sfs file it complained was missing (I copied it to /boot and it was ok after that). I guess I'm not understanding why I'm not just writing to the disk drive when I do things?

PSS: Ok, I figured I might as well try creating a save file. So I told it to reboot and created a default named one with 512 mb in /boot. It rebooted and has connected to the lan now, so that much is good. Not sure if I'm ok or not, to be honest.

PSSS: I added a mahjongg game, and it reappeared after a reboot, so I'm guessing its running normally at this point?.

Any help, please? Thanks :)

I guess its ok at this point. It is different, but if it works, it just means I need to get used to it is all.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

it just means I need to get used to it is all.
Yes Zedi
Learn you must.

You basically did a manual frugal install of Precise.
That is one way to do it.

The Puppy files that are used for a frugal install are read only. A save file is used to store any changes you make, to Puppy, if you want to keep them.
Frugal installs working this way allows Puppy to be installed to any device using any format.
Internally these files are Linux, but to other OS and formats they are just files.

This info may help you:
Various ways to install puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302

Puppy comes with another bootloader "Grub4dos bootloader config"
It is tweaked to work with Puppy and do things the Puppy way. It is very good at finding other operating systems and making a boot menu for all.
( only OS I had problems with was Linux Mint, because Mint has some strange ideas on where it puts boot files.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)