CD/DVD burner can see a DVD but not a CD

Booting, installing, newbie
Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

Hey Beekster, Oscar asked if you'd boot live and look for the cd drive icon after inserting an audio disk.

Reboot >> when you get the Pup screen type a quick: p

Now you can take your time and finish. The line goes like this: puppy pfix=ram

This'll boot into a fresh environment where you can double-check for the icon.

This is the best method for isolating issues for when things no longer work.

When you're done, shutdown or reboot >> DON'T save..

Your old one'll still be there.

beekster

#17 Post by beekster »

That's cool. I'll have to try it, however, as far as the drive goes, I installed a new one (took the easy way out 8) ) and it works fine. Listening right now in fact! So, that problem is solved. I've left the old drive in as it's provided a good excuse for learning.

You've given me quite a bag of tricks to explore, and there are still a few loose ends of things, like gzipping the modules.config. Learning to use the console and finding my way around filing system utilities and such can keep me busy for quite awhile!

beekster

#18 Post by beekster »

OscarTalks wrote:
When you put an audio CD into the drive do you get a CD drive icon appearing on your desktop or not?

It would be helpful to boot with "puppy pfix=ram" (when you see the splash screen, you can press F2 to halt the boot if you want) so you boot without the save-file, then remove the boot DVD, put a CD into the drive and see if that works.
Well, I did a little variation here, hitting <enter> after puppy pfix=ram, with the pup in the drive, and this little puppy went on an adventure :o Looks like I'm starting over with a clean slate, and 1 Gb personal storage!

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

It's OK. You can have any multiple of the same version sf. Good to here you have audio.. 8)

Rip'm down with Asunder- free your drive. Various codecs and sampling rates supported..