Everything seems to work but the sound

Booting, installing, newbie
Mar1ez

Everything seems to work but the sound

#1 Post by Mar1ez »

I seriously do not know how I got everything to work but it did...except...I have no sound, no sound, not puppy whimper, growl or ruff ! I followed prompts, and just went with what was recommended, I am using Precise Puppy....I get videos but no sound, I do not know any lingo nor am a computer geek...I winged everything. At least I knew how to make a disc but that was easy and pretty much all I know.

I really need some help, I am not good at following directions but I am also on skype in case someone else is they could walk me through it or something...I like how fast everything is on my new Precise Puppy. It is simple, only once I put it on a usb...my comp doesn't read and I don t know how to get to happen either. :P

I 'd love to get some volume happening then I could really see how good my new comp is doing...I call it new because it is old/new and that is incredible! :D

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey mar1lez

whatssup....

right click on the speaker icon in the tray and open 'full window' and make sure the speaker is checked

if not then that should cure it, if not then go to setup>alsa sound wizard

in number 'TWO' try clicking the speaker icon, it should bark, if not try 'ONE' and follow the distructions!!

it's normally just muted though

good luck

:)

ps - if that lot fails then make sure you post hardware info of you machine

Mar1ez

volume

#3 Post by Mar1ez »

I don't have a speaker icon in the tray!

I only have a pipe and a unlock icon.

the time, some box with red waves

and a buddy icon

ally

#4 Post by ally »

alsa sound wizard then

don't forget hard ware specs for the clever people

Mar1ez

so I tried to make a copy of my hardware

#5 Post by Mar1ez »

Ok I do not know how to copy my hardware spec either....I am not computer no how inclined....Okay now what?

ally

#6 Post by ally »

did you try the alsa sound wizard?

did it see any sound cards?

did you restart x?

describe the hardware, make model etc etc, something somebody could look up and tell us what steps you have taken already

Mar1ez

yes, restarted twice

#7 Post by Mar1ez »

I did and it does not work...It says I have nvidia sound card but I do not think so I have conextant audio...plus when I tried to copy the hard ware specs, the computer shut down on me. idk WHAT TO DO

yes I tried the alsa sound wizard and all it says is that I cannot do that operation...then something about root...when I power down it wants me to type reboot and it says it is declined, the nvidia is denied, and to also to type poweroff it won't shut down I have to press the power button to shut down the computer.

ally

#8 Post by ally »

sounds like a corrupt copy of puppy

best to check the download was correct using md5sum "file name of puppy" from the command line and check the md5sum from where you downloaded

if you were using a savefile then try booting the live-cd with 'puppy pfix=ram' option

this runs a clean boot

try and write down the information from the screens and post the details

Mar1ez

Ok my internet is real slow right now

#9 Post by Mar1ez »

Ok this is going to take me awhile, to do do, I will come back I was going to say to do the viewer thingy....I also am using a dvd because when I did my initial usb it copied by my comp won't read it I did save to a user name mariez or marie and that is on fido and gnome I think?

Mar1ez

nope don't know where to go

#10 Post by Mar1ez »

i am sorry but I cannot go anywhere to those things...it won't allow it....sorry...I input the md5sum but that did not do anything...it won't let me save anything...so could not input puppy pfix=ram...hecork i do not know if I even went to the right place...it took me for ever to just get back online!

ally

#11 Post by ally »

hey marlez

you're making it difficult to help you

you don't answer the questions or provide details of what you have done, this makes it difficult

so, last go from me

1. what build of puppy, ie precise....what?
2. what computer details?
3. where did you download, what was the checksum?
4. record EXACTLY what you have done and the results you got

if you have a corrupt copy you will have troubles

when you put the cd in the drive and boot, the boot screen will give you options at the word 'boot:'

if you press f2 it will show you those options but type 'puppy pfix=ram' and this will load into ram only without a savefile if you had one

if will also not load from the hdd if you have installed it (and it's dodgy)

report.........

good luck

Mar1ez

I am sorry ally

#12 Post by Mar1ez »

I did the puppy code, it worked the sound did then I had to reconfigure the internet, and everything else, the sound worked I did not save anything, rebooted again and the sound does not work again...but it took me lots of work, I can't do thing fast as I am not good at the computer stuff...its been hours for me and I am still working on it, I know don't blame you if you quit on me, maybe someone else can help...it's not you it is me I am don't know how to do this...

Mar1ez

files

#13 Post by Mar1ez »

1. what build of puppy, ie precise....what? Puppy precise 5.4.3 from http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20L ... elease.htm

2. what computer details? What computer details, I do not know where to find them.
3. where did you download, what was the checksum? http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20L ... elease.htm I do not know what a checksum is.
4. record EXACTLY what you have done and the results you got
I put the cd in the drive and boot, the boot screen will gave me options at the word 'boot:'

I pressed f2 I typed 'puppy pfix=ram' and this will load into ram only without a save file if you had one

I had to reinstall everything and re do the Internet connection that took me a long time to do. the sound worked, it asked me to re-boot I did so without saving, and now the sound does not work again.

Mar1ez

my reply to the sound issue

#14 Post by Mar1ez »

the computer is 32 bit operating system, windows vista 2007, service pack2, HP pavilion dv9000, memory ram 1GB
it has AMD athlon 64X2dual, the audio is conexant high def audio

Mar1ez

found in the system

#15 Post by Mar1ez »

DESCRIPTION: Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
VENDOR: 10de DEVICE: 026c
KERNEL MODULE: snd_hda_intel
KERNEL MODULE: snd-hda-intel

Mar1ez

found in file

#16 Post by Mar1ez »

agpgart 17775 2 ttm,drm