Chrome Question: SOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
Luxeon

Chrome Question: SOLVED

#1 Post by Luxeon »

A few months ago I downloaded and installed Google Chrome browser via a frugal install. For the life of me I don't recall how I did it...I don't recall it being difficult. I thought I downloaded it from PPM...or maybe directly from Google. It is Chrome 21.
Oops! forgot to add: this is on Precise Puppy 5.4.

Yesterday I was trying to install Chrome on a live DVD (I also would like to install it on my son's VERY old Dell), but couldn't recall how I installed it before. I didn't find it in the PPM (but maybe it needs updating).

I found a .PET of Chrome 24 (from Sheepy). I downloaded then installed it. Strangely, it didn't create any menu entries. I was in a bit of a hurry (son was sick at preschool), so I just shut it down without saving, and figured I would start fresh this weekend.

I searched quite a bit and found some info which may be helpful, but to be truthful I don't want to spin my wheels for hours trying to find what appears to be a rare problem (and very likely user newbie-error :oops: ).

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Heck, maybe I should just install Chromium and add Flash player...but, I find that Chrome is very stable and works very well for my son playing online Lego games.

Many thanks,
Bob
Last edited by Luxeon on Thu 28 Feb 2013, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Chrome and Chromium are basically equivalent.

This might help though -- open a Terminal/Console window and type "fixmenus" (without quotes) and press firmly on the [ENTER] key.

Then see whether or not it shows in the menu.

Luxeon

#3 Post by Luxeon »

No change, unfortunately.

It is odd that it shows up in the PPM as installed.
May be irrelevant, but I noticed the message"this item has no menu entry" when I installed it.

Edit: Holy cow! I just looked at downloading Chromium 22 from the Puppy Precise official repository: it stated there were dependencies missing. When I examined the dependencies, it stated the whole install would occupy 109mb! Doesn't that seem like a bit much?

WAIT! I downloaded the Chromium 22 with the libpng14 dependency, and it works great!

I believe my problem is solved. Many thanks for tolerating my ignorance.

Bob
Last edited by Luxeon on Thu 28 Feb 2013, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

So, do you still want Chrome? Need an icon and desktop entry file?

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Chrome is not the problem. Its something else.

I had and reported a similar issue where after a package installed, it was not seen in the desktop menu subsystem on the taskbar. I had no success in getting it show.the newly installed product. And "opening" a terminal and typing fixmenu NOR exiting desktop, typing fixmenus, and restarting desktop resolved the issue.

At that time I was using one of the beta releases and have since abandoned whichever distro I discovered the problem.You reporting it here should draw attention that there is something wrong when, ramdomly, installation of things via the PPM may not show up in the system's Menu.

I think it prudent that you should re-address your problem directly to the distro where it occurred. It is NOT a problem with Chrome, per se. In my case it was a altogether different PPM product, not internet related.

In the short term, you can open a terminal window and type the word 'chrome' at the prompt to get chrome to open. ( you notice that for as long as Chrome is open, that terminal window will remain upon until you close Chrome. Do not worry, though as its no impact of any significance being left open.

Here to help