New lappie, no Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
tallboy

#16 Post by tallboy »

BeeJay, some puppys, like the 5.2.8, is set up to ask about keyboard etc. every time when run from a live disk, but like everything else in a puppy, that behaviour can be modified. I remember a post about it early in the 5.2.8 thread, try some creative queries with http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html. I prefer the setup for my live CD that is moved from machine to machine, but it must be annoying in a frugal or full installation. I know there are scripts in ~/Startup and in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but I haven't looked at them yet. Also, I never used a save file, but is that a possible solution here?
I sent you a pm.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

BeeJay

#17 Post by BeeJay »

I was running Lupu 5.2.8 from bootable ISO on my old laptop before it died recently and at bootup it would find the lupusave.2fs file on my flash drive with all my settings and customisation. If I had to go through the Q & A at every boot I wouldn't bother with Puppy at all. Booting a bootable ISO from a Grub4DOS boot menu is identical to booting from CD only about 50 times quicker 8)

I expected to get the same behaviour on the new Lenovo but it is proving impossible. However it did work when I had Slacko so when I have the time I'll revert to that.

I simply don't have the time or inclination to start learning all that command line stuff I'm afraid but I'll keep your PM as I'm sure I'll need to refer to it at some point.

Thanks!