Seamonkey or Palemoon?

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

Seamonkey or Palemoon?

#1 Post by nic007 »

I've had problems with Palemoon especially with this CAPTCHA rubbish. So decided to have a look at Seamonkey again. I downloaded the tar file for the 2.48 version (apparently the last for gclib 2) from the Seamonkey site. Extracting the tarball and running the executable directly from the extracted folder works well, very easy. I actually made an sfs (just make sure you pack the folder as is). No problems with CAPTCHA. Youtube videos also streaming well. Running sweetly on Tahr 605 and Xenial 750 32 bit. I also downloaded the 2.49 version for my Windows XP system (last version to support XP). Recommended.

nosystemdthanks

Re: Seamonkey or Palemoon?

#2 Post by nosystemdthanks »

between the two, seamonkey. hyperbola has their own fork of iceweasel called iceweasel-uxp.

i had the same problem with palemoon. when people pretend noscript is a security/stability problem and spread fud about it, then try to turn it off in a dishonest way, i stop trusting the author.

but the way that mozilla turns off your plugins for you is garbage. if you put a lot of known mozilla urls in /etc/hosts they cant check and disable your plugins. firefox or seamonkey? of those two, seamonkey is generally closer to what firefox was before it got really bad. but theyll update it eventually.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Seamonkey always a few months behind Firefox releases. The upside though is that their releases are normally very well considered and tested. I also don't like Firefox at all, never did.

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

BTW - It was very easy to remove Palemoon from the base sfs. Almost the full install is in /opt. Just edited the base sfs.

tallboy

#5 Post by tallboy »

When removing PaleMoon, remember to delete /root/.moonchild productions.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.