Problems remastering and saving file to DVD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Ted Dog

#31 Post by Ted Dog »

Did not find make bootable checkbox either in pBurn !

Wonder whats up with pBurn...

Been there done that... If I had a dollar for every..

I make coasters even after 6 yr playing with puppy, but you can still use non-bootable discs to save stuff, if its worth keeping its worth saving twice.

Also I use DVD-RW until they wearout, which can take many, many reburns.

Also a point for Flash Blu-ray ReWr burns much slower than write once.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#32 Post by Flash »

Ted Dog wrote:... a point for Flash Blu-ray ReWr burns much slower than write once.
I know, but if you're only experimenting with Puppy that doesn't make much difference. Puppy is so small that it takes no time to burn to a BD-RE.

gcmartin

#33 Post by gcmartin »

@Rope this may help: And, @Ted Dog correct me if I'm wrong for I have not run your remaster script, but from this discussion it seems that the remaster creates a SFS of everything that exist in the running system.

So, for example if I had just remastered my running Slacko5.5 system using @Ted Dog's "big" script, I would have a SFS file in my /tmp directory. To begin, I would rename his SFS that he created for me to "puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs"

Then, I would do the following:
  1. Make a test folder ===> mkdir /tmp/work-folder
  2. Copy the everything on the boot CD/ISO to that folder. BUT do NOT copy the "puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs" from the CD/ISO because you DONT WANT THAT ONE.
  3. Now, the final step for your folder is to copy Ted Dog's SFS (the one your renamed, above) to the folder /tmp/work-folder
The /tmp/work-folder is the folder that will be used to create the ISO so that you can burn it to a CD/DVD.

Its at this point that you'll use @Ted Dog's 2-liner to create the ISO which you will burn onto a CD/DVD

Please correct if any of this is wrong. I hope the picture, below, helps and is accurate for this discussion.

Here to help
Attachments
capture10746.png
This is the contents of your FINAL FOLDER BEFORE YOU MAKE THE ISO.
Note: the newest "puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs" file is from @Ted Dog's Remaster script
(31.1 KiB) Downloaded 734 times

Rope

#34 Post by Rope »

Yes gcmartin, the steps I followed are like you detailed.

But: why would you rename the file? There is no need as it takes the name of your puppy.whatever version.sfs file if I remember well.

What is Ted Dog's 2-liner?

And the problem for me is how to burn the DVD so it boots.

edit: oh, this script
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 427#690427
I did not see that post, maybe because I was writing the following question

Thanks you mentioned it. So I missed a step.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB

Ted Dog

#35 Post by Ted Dog »

Yes to both posts, the 'big script' can figureout what its running in for versions newer than a year ago.

in the same working /tmp/work-folder as the rest of the files place the 2line script (called reburn) and open a terminal <press the ~ while mouse focus is showing files>

Code: Select all

#cd /tmp/work-folder    <=== not needed if you '~'ed
#ls                     <=== check if  at the right place and reburn exists
#./reburn
growisofs progress will be shown, does throw lots of warning looking stuff, but thats harmless.

The 2line script produces the iso on-the-fly while burning it to DVD so no additional RAM is used.