Wary and Racy 5.5, released March 3, 2013

Please post any bugs you have found
don570

#151 Post by don570 »

Puppy Universal Installer doesn't tamper
with the MBR at all.

I believe it suggests what lines to add to grub?? You are supposed to
do that modification yourself manually.

That is why I always run Grub4dos after an install (including Ubuntu)
since it modifies the MBR and changes the menu.lst file automatically.

Therefore no work for user to do :lol:

tuxtoo

Thuderbird and Firetray

#152 Post by tuxtoo »

Its has taken some time but I have finally moved on from Puppy-412 to Racy-5.5 and I have a problem with Thunderbird 3 and the FireTray add-on which closes Thunderbird to the tray with an icon. However said icon does not show in the tray on Racy-5.5. It worked as it should on Puppy-412 and I tried it with lubuntu-12.04 and Slitaz-5 and it worked okay. I really like Thunderbird set up with FireTray and would like to continue using this setup so does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be?
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

Billtoo

#153 Post by Billtoo »

I found a flash drive with some older puppy installs on it including
wary-5.3.90.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Tue 15 Jul 2014 on Wary Puppy 5.3.90 Linux 2.6.32.59 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.3.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (513x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.123

I added FbBox-1.0 + PupMates, the latest proprietary nvidia driver,
win-1.7.22,conky,and Dillo-3.0.4

Still works well :)

Edit: There is also a Racy 5390 install on the drive which I copied to
a 4gb flash drive and moved to another pc.
Seamonkey updated to version 2.26.1 on both Racy & Wary.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Tue 15 Jul 2014 on Racy Puppy 5.3.90 Linux 3.0.25 i686
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS780 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
server glx vendor string: ATI
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
OpenGL version string: 3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context

Both work well but Racy is the best for my hardware.
Attachments
racy5.3.90.jpg
(80.64 KiB) Downloaded 1569 times
wary-5390-screen.jpg
(84.32 KiB) Downloaded 1558 times

scsijon

Re: Thunderbird and Firetray

#154 Post by scsijon »

tuxtoo wrote:Its has taken some time but I have finally moved on from Puppy-412 to Racy-5.5 and I have a problem with Thunderbird 3 and the FireTray add-on which closes Thunderbird to the tray with an icon. However said icon does not show in the tray on Racy-5.5. It worked as it should on Puppy-412 and I tried it with lubuntu-12.04 and Slitaz-5 and it worked okay. I really like Thunderbird set up with FireTray and would like to continue using this setup so does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be?
I don't remember what 412 had but i do know there were changes affecting icon structure and locations between 4 and 5, so!

Off the top of my head-

-Is this a pet addon or a thunderbird addon? A url would help as I use Thunderbird with racy55.

-Have a look in /usr/share/applications and see if there is a desktop file for it? Check the settings, compare them with others, they could have changed.

-Have a look for the icon and see what type of file it is and whether it's the wrong size (fixed and not resizable or only one and not a set if it's a fixed size) or if it's now in the wrong place? (/root/.packages/packagename if it's a pet)

These all have happened.

mavrothal

Shellshock-safe Bash

#155 Post by mavrothal »

"Shellshock"-safe Bash 3.0.22 for Wary/Racy 5.5 and 4.x pupps is here

(uninstall previous pets if you had already installed it)

Edit: Update to 3.0.22 version
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rufwoof

#156 Post by rufwoof »

Dropped Kernel 3.10 (PAE) into Wary 5.5, booted using XVesa and its working great.

Downloaded Shinobar's portable firefox, pulled down dbus and dbus-glib as he recommends for Wary ... and running the latest firefox.

Tried PXE booting a modestly recent PC (around 5 years old ??) and that started up OK using XVesa. Tried a even more recent PC and XVesa wouldn't startup correctly - perhaps because of modesetting. Tried Xorg and that was ok'ish.

Identical Wary 5.5 puppies (in each case I've dropped wary sfs into initrd and the larger initrd.gz is around 150MB), one with the original 2 series kernel that boots old hardware, this one that boots more recent hardware, and both with (small) XVesa boot choices ..... nice!

Surprised how well/fast the small/basic XVesa is. Totally usable for general usage.
Attachments
capture26703.jpg
(71.24 KiB) Downloaded 1175 times

rufwoof

#157 Post by rufwoof »

Swapped out 3.10 kernel for 3.1.10 - as I haven't (nor have I been able to locate) Nvidia for the 3.10 kernel, but I do have one for the 3.1.10 4gA kernel (non PAE version as taken from Slacko 5.3.3 Thin).

With Nvidia server and drivers installed Wary 5.5.1 is running really well, including Skype 4.3, Firefox 35.0.1 (latest) and Libre 4.2.3
Attachments
capture31186.jpg
(55.64 KiB) Downloaded 1162 times

rufwoof

#158 Post by rufwoof »

Bug ???

If watching/listening to mplayer via speakers and simultaneously making a Skype call via headset ... and fire up Screeny (full screen screen capture), then the resulting screen capture image is .... weird.

Suspect its just a overload/buffering type thing and not really a problem for me, but thought I'd just highlight the observation.
Attachments
capture21461.jpg
(78.97 KiB) Downloaded 1126 times

Pelo

rufwoof, i will do as you did

#159 Post by Pelo »

rufwoof, i will do as you did. Wary and Racy are in my opinion premium Puppies, but i need to change the kernel to get them running in my Laptop P7624 (low Cost computers Medion)
Until now,kernel 3.0.25 was my choice.
But 3.1.10 4gA kernel (non PAE version as taken from Slacko 5.3.3 Thin) is worth a try.

scsijon

Racy 5.5 /5.5.1

#160 Post by scsijon »

I know this is old now, but some of us still like this puppy!

I have come across a problem with Racy NOT Wary in that is doesn't have the scanpci command in x_xorg76_mega_pkg-7.6-5-w5c for some reason and it's needed when the pci bus is connected via the usb controller.

It's attached and needs to go into /usr/X11R7/bin.

regards
Attachments
scanpci.tar.gz
(15.32 KiB) Downloaded 364 times

Pelo

i know this is old now, but some of us still like this pupp

#161 Post by Pelo »

" i know this is old now, but some of us still like this puppy! "
2013 is not old. Would you buy a car each time a new version is released ?
Wary 5.5 fits the needs of my computer.
That is a little agression in this forum when we post about Puppies we are still using on our computers. we are not rich enough to buy computers to use firmware available in Newest puppies.
Viva Wary, Viva Racy, and i must precise Racy 5.3 not 5.5, which only run vesa.
I am Old, I don't use àphones (only as phone), windows 10, skype and solar oil. I use Puppy, not Ubuntu. No Mac.
Some people ask us to destroy our old computers. Because we are asking questions on old puppies.
Soon they will trash old users, our young developers for who DVD is vintage, but not Blue ray
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 31 Jul 2017, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

sindi

Wary on DELL Latitude M233XT 125MB RAM

#162 Post by sindi »

Lupu kernel is too new (i686) for this circa-1997 WinNT/Win95 Pentium with MMX laptop.
Works fine except for the floppy controller, right mouse button, and onboard speaker.

Wary i586 kernel with Xorg (Xvesa produces vertical green stripes).
Segfaults with Opera, but lynx and qtweb and even seamonkey work (with swapping to disk).
Segfaults with ffplay, smtube, and mplayer2, but mplayer works (MMX)
Sound works! Crystal 4237B. (Speaker or amp dead but headphone jack is good).

I put in two EDO RAMs marked 32MB each and got 125MB (plus video RAM - 1024x768x16).
Holds a 12mm 18GB hard disk (instead of the 4.1 it was sold with).

Very nice screen. Keyboard feels like standalone keyboard of that era.

13.3" non-glare screen. ONLY 1.5" thick and 5.3-6.4lb. Rugged. One USB port. Two PCMCIA.

40MB RAM used if I kill ROX-filer and a few things in network tray. Swaps to disk an awful lot.

Works with a Linksys WPA-supporting PCMCIA wifi card wireless G.

It makes a nice radio using mplayer and an iPhone 4 dock with a cable. Or headphones.

I can watch movies at 240p using movgrab and then mplayer (but youtube videos will not pipe
to mplayer because youtube now uses https and mplayer does not do SSL). 360p is jerky and out of sync.
(360p works nicely at 1GHz).

Puppy 4.1.2-based Pulp01 uses about 15MB less RAM (GTK1 only) but will not work with any of my wifi cards that do WPA.
It is a lot snappier.

It could use wired ethernet but the laptop is intended for someone paranoid to use at the library for email.

He also wants CAD so I installed MicroXP (2008) with a free Windows CAD program. OS 200MB + swap

If he likes this setup we will try to unplug his drifting-cursor trackpad and install to his
'DELL Latitude C-something' with the eraser-head mouse.

Would a bare-bones Wary use less RAM?

Wary also worked on an 800MHz Toshiba where Lupu failed (no sound, I think).

sindi

Wary 5.5 crashes (call traces) on exit, Wary 5.2 does not

#163 Post by sindi »

poweroff or reboot Wary 5.5 (mostly about sound) and need to use the power button, but it boots normally next time.

Wary 5.1.2 shuts down and shuts off the computer as expected. Is there any major reason to use 5.5 instead?

Both work properly with sound and wifi.

Baby Barebones Wary 5.3 works with wifi but seems to lack sound drivers.

Pulp (4.1.2) won't work with my WPA wifi cards. I tried adding firmware.

The computer does not support framebuffer.

Qtweb tends to use 150% of RAM but otherwise everything works. Links2 graphical (in X) works but only at some websites. Not good with SSL (ebay, mail). Slimboat uses more RAM. Opera segfaults.

Billtoo

#164 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install of a Racy-5.5 remaster that I made
sometime ago, forget when.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 25 May 2017 on Racy Puppy 5.5 Linux 3.0.66 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v1p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1049x292 millimeters)

server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 381.22

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Core 0: @2500 1: @2500 MHz

I added a newer Seamonkey + the latest proprietary nvidia driver.
Also compiled gkrellm + the cpu frequency plugin.

It's working well.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(40.84 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
screenshot.jpg
(64.58 KiB) Downloaded 572 times

belham2

Puppy-Racy-5.5 Updated---ooops, posted in wrong thread!!

#165 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

Went back down memory lane and spent past few evenings giving Puppy Racy 5.5 an up-to-date refresh.

Updated glibc, openssl, and various libs, installed latest Palemoon & JWM Desktop Manager (from Radky), updated abiword, then I added add'l GTK & JWM themes. After those, I installed Oscartalk's excellent MPlayer (that's it in 2nd pic smoothly playing a large hi-def 1080i mp4 file---1st pic is youtube playing in full screen glory), and then little final touches of conky, some games, SMtube-downloader, Htop, Firewall-tray monitor, Sakura terminal, PupSnapScreenCapture, UExtract, SFS-Load-On_Fly, and Zarfy (to control my dual monitors).......and, well, who ever said the old dogs can't run with the new? Sure isn't the case here with an up-to-date Puppy Racy :wink:
Attachments
Puppy-Racy-5-5-Updated-1.png
(188.99 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
Puppy-Racy-5-5-Updated-2.png
(157.76 KiB) Downloaded 507 times

tuxtoo

New Wary/Racy website?

#166 Post by tuxtoo »

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post on, but here goes.

I was given an old Sony Vaio Laptop from 2005, 1.7GHz, 80Gb and 2Gb of maxed out RAM and thought Puppy Linux would be perfect to revive this ageing laptop, which it has. Not used Puppy for some years, but thought I would install Racy-5.5 as I always preferred the true Puppie's. What’s more, I was delighted to find an up to date (2019) browser Palemoon with a big thanks to ‘watchdog’ for this.

Really enjoyed using Puppy again especially with a modern browser, but was wondering what sort of user base Racy/Wary has nowadays. While I don't have any coding skills I do have some web development skills so I thought I though I could create a website along the lines of 412collection, although I may be a bit late to the party with this one.

Any thoughts Puppy Users?

watchdog

#167 Post by watchdog »

Wary-Racy are evergreeen puppies. I often boot them: I'm happy with them and they have a lot of dedicated software. Thanks for supporting Wary-Racy.

You can find Palemoon 28.7.1 for wary-racy at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 93#1035893

It's working without any need of the glib upgrade required for palemoon 28.7.0.

Mike Walsh

#168 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ tuxtoo:-

Another 'thumbs-up' here for Racy 5.5.

With regard to your post on the previous page about FireTray for Thunderbird, in Racy I run a 'portable' version I put together of TBird 45. It's been slightly 'hacked-about' to remove the updater stuff, 'cos if you allow this to update to first TBird 52, then 60, it 'breaks' at every turn, and requires no end of arsing-about to get it running again properly. Racy doesn't like Firefox/Thunderbird 52 onwards, because of the GTK3 requirements.....there's too much Mozilla stuff that leans heavily on this, and Racy just won't run GTK3 stuff properly, it seems.

FireTray is one extension I can't do without. It worked fine in 45 from the add-ons site, prior to the Web-API 'upgrade' when FF-Quantum was released. It continued to work OK through TB 52, then when TBird 60 was released it 'broke'. I found the new version somebody had put together via links from the Mozillazine forum, and once again it was working.

Now with the release of TBird 68 it's broken again..... :roll: So I'm sticking with 45 & 60 throughout the kennels. The only really new stuff that 68 offers is 'bling'-based (new dark themes - wooo), plus a load of 'handling' upgrades for folks that insist on running the POP3 protocol, and keeping every single email they've ever received on their own machines.

Who the hell needs to keep an old e-mail from 15 years ago? :roll: I regularly 'prune' my e-mail a/cs, and only keep the occasional important one in a dedicated 'Archive' folder.....

------------------------------------------------------------

You can find the 'portable' version of Thunderbird-45.8.0 here, complete with in-built glibc219 tweak (borrowed from watchdog!):-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i9KIJX ... sp=sharing

It's completely self-contained, and, as with the Palemoon portable, you follow the same procedure. Unzip it, move the resulting 'thunderbird32' directory anywhere you want, and fire it up from the 'tb' script within. First run creates & populates the internal profile directory. Second and subsequent starts via the script will always start it using that 'internal' profile.

As mentioned, the version of Firetray that works with TB 45 is no longer available. However, I've a copy of the .xpi file, which you can find here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16UEWkC ... sp=sharing

I'm assuming you know how to install an .xpi file..... :D

(I also run quite a bit of up-to-date stuff from a Tahrpup chrooted 'jail' in Racy - again, with inspiration from, and thanks to, watchdog - but that's a tale for another day.....)

BTW:- A 'collection' for Racy sounds like a good idea, mate. Definitely, yes.

Mike. :wink:

tuxtoo

#169 Post by tuxtoo »

Mike and Watchdog

Thanks for the feedback and thumbs up for Racy-5.5, so it looks like I better get busy with Bluefish, Gimp and Filezilla. Just remember guys, I'm not a member of the clever mob, so just be aware this web site won't magically appear tomorrow with a full compliment Racy pets. Although I am working on it.

Question: Do you guys have Wary/Racy pets that I could have access to for inclusion on the website. Obviously, Palemoon and Thunderbird 45 Portable will be included.

Mike,

Thanks for TB 45 and Firetray, you're a star. I was using TB12 with the 'Minimize to Tray' plugin which works along the same lines as Firetray and I particularly like that it is a portable version.

Also like the idea of pruning old emails and putting the important ones in an archive folder, IMAP of course.

Mike Walsh

#170 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ tuxtoo:-

Christ, I've got no end of stuff that runs OK in Racy. Leave it with me; I'll see if I can put a list together for you.

It may take a while...! Monday's my general shopping day; I look after Mama full-time (spinal arthritis - not nice), and I tend to try and get a lot of stuff done Mondays.

I'll try and list these by categories, and give you links wherever possible. Many of these will be my own packages; where I can find the forum links, I'll put you straight onto them. Otherwise it'll be links to my Google Drive & MediaFire a/cs.

Fredx181 (of the Debian 'Dogs' fame) is a huge fan of 'portable', run-anywhere apps, as am I. So a number of these will be these new-fangled AppImages - Fred's put together some scripts that permit turning any Puppy app into an AppImage, or a self-extracting script. They work very well, too.

Don't forget, there's also the main Ibiblio repo for Wary, nearly all of which will run in Racy, too:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ges-wary5/

(Racy doesn't get its own page, 'cos it's essentially a 'souped-up' Wary...)

OK with you?

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 06 Oct 2019, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.