Wary and Racy 5.5, released March 3, 2013

Please post any bugs you have found
starhawk

#61 Post by starhawk »

This is what I'm talking about re: voltage keying --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PCI_Keying.png

Make sure it's got the 5v notch (the one that's far from the backplate) or both notches. If it's only got the 3.3v notch (the one that's close to the backplate) then it won't fit and we'll both be upset.

I'll PM you my address shortly.

Mini-ITX was created by a Taiwanese company named VIA, which rose to prominence from the ashes of Cyrix. The original design for Cyrix's Centaur processor (which was to be their next thing after the 5x86) wound up as the VIA C3. I have a Mini-ITX board made by VIA with the C3 processor on it. It's a VIA EPIA MII-1000 -- meaning it's got a 1GHz CPU. Wow, that thing is pathetic!

The board I have with the Pentium M on it is an Axiomtech SBC86807 v2.0. It *is* an industrial/embedded board -- but that's more exception than rule. Look up a site called MiniITX[dot]Com -- they're in the UK. They have all sorts of nifty stuff, and half of it one can't get in the States! (I shop at a US-based outfit called Logic Supply, when I'm feeling rich enough to avoid eBay.) My mother has an Intel (gasp) D510MW board in her desktop. It's Mini-ITX, and it is most certainly NOT an industrial/embedded board!

Hadn't heard about the impatience factor for M$/IBM. Might've heard about the Intel/TI thing -- not sure. I do know that, up until recently, a 486 BabyAT board I had proudly sported a TI TX486SLC -- so what you're talking about must've gone on later.

I was born in 1986, I'm 26 years old (27 in late June), and my first computer was a 386SX/SXL with an AMD 25MHz proc, no coproc, 4mb RAM, and an 85MB hard drive. It was my mother's 40th birthday present (that was '92) and it was mine in '97 or so, when she upgraded to a Packard Bell with a Pentium 75MHz in it, the whole thing built more for making trouble than anything else -- that thing was so bad, it was MADE not to work!

I still have my 386, and I recently restored it to (mostly) stock, with the exception of part of the case (the cover is long gone), added CD-ROM drive (the original was floppy-only!), and hard drive (85MB is a little too cramped!) It runs Windows 3.11 (a slight upgrade from Win 3.1), and now has a WD Caviar 2550 instead of the original Quantum ProDrive ELS -- which, except for one bad sector, still works quite fine. I've got three ISA cards in there -- HDD+I/O, video, and sound/CD-ROM. It's got a serial mouse, of course. Original was an Artec (IIRC) 3-button mouse with a fourth button on the side. Current one (the Artec is deceased) is an M$ Serial Mouse 2.0... might be a 3.0, gotta check.

If you want pictures of the 386, I'll be glad to send you some! I'm afraid it's not likely to run Linux without a math coproc though... which it still doesn't have. 387s are rare as hen's teeth ;)

Sage

#62 Post by Sage »

Never seen anything but "5V" in the field. The (5V) PCI cards superseded IBM's abortive EISA, after ISA and VLB (I had one of those). Maybe Apple used some of those funny designs like PCI-X, but I recall they were expensive; nobody I know was buying boards that accommodated them. Never touch Apple stuff - turn it away when offered. The 5, 3.3, dual and now 1.5V cards exist in AGP format; there might be an 0.8V now? Then we have PCI-|Express. I suppose AGP is a special kind of "PCI" bus just like PS/2 is the precursor, special type of USB bus, too.
I abandoned my collection of 8088/8286/8386/8486 and Cyrix stuff a long time ago, although I retain some 8bit Amstrads (you know - UK company that was deliberately leveraged and destroyed by, inter alia, bad products from the likes of WD, Seagate, etc., - I got small recompense on my shares when the Court battles ended successfully ten years later - too late!) an Evergreen MxPro and one K6-II for my personal museum. I gave all my other 8bit HW and documentation to a local computer museum. I had the Firmware manuals so that I could teach my children machine language, but that was 30yrs ago. Prior to that we worked with punched tape terminals on a Pegasus running Autocode. The Brits were running computers at Bletchley before the rest in '43-'44 - Churchill gave away the IPR in exchange for food. We had major IT industries such as ICL, Plessey, Elliott (f.1804), etc up and running in the 50's but they went bust because of lack of support infra-structure, political interference, foreign subterfuge and lack of markets - same old story.
Most of the hardware was invented, designed and fabricated by the Brits in the late 40s, early 50s including integrated circuits, but the facts got obscured due to our arcane Official Secrets Act, the Cold War & Arms Race, H-bomb, & co. - some of the wartime stuff is still on the secret list! Much of the published info is downright wrong. Some Americans even believe they invented this gear!!! We only came 2nd with our H-bomb - it was just a regular old fusion device, but we were first into space from the Woomera range in Oz; the (cancelled) Blue Streak rocket is still the basis of the remarkably successful second stage Ariane rocket assembly.
So, the moral of the foregoing is don't believe what you read in books. I was there! If you've been keeping up, nearly three times as old...
Otherwise, - on its way.

artsown

Wary

#63 Post by artsown »

I was surprised at the speed of Wary 5.5. It "feels" to be the
fastest of many pups I've tried. I did compare startup times
of the frugal installs of several pups, and Wary leaves the others
in the dust at 25 seconds while the others all check about 35 sec.
Seamonkey seems faster than on Precise 5.5.

Since Wary works well for me, I installed my usual apps and will
be testing Wary 5.5.1 by using it daily for some time. Since it's on
a older kernel, it does not require my usual wireless "fix".

Unfortunately, Racy 5.5 doesn't start up on my main test PC.

Art

Terryphi

#64 Post by Terryphi »

A number of posts in the forum show users of Racy or Wary disappointed because they cannot run the latest versions of Chromium.

Code: Select all

/opt/chromium/chrome: /lib/libc.so.6 version 'GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /opt/chromium/chrome) 
 /opt/chromium/chrome: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version 'GLIBCXX_3.4.11' Not found (required by /opt/chromium/chrome)
Is there any chance that Barry can be persuaded to upgrade the libraries?
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

redandwhitestripes

#65 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Hi guys,
I came on here ready to install Wary on my Presario 2500 (P4, 256mb RAM) but after reading the threads, it seems as if Racy might be a better choice.

Any suggestions? I can trial both but as this old thing doesn't support USB installs, it's a chore to burn the cds and persuade it to boot them.

Keef

Sound problems

#66 Post by Keef »

Sound isn't set up on first boot, which hasn't happened on any previous Wary.
The module is snd_es1968. Running alsaconf fails as well, although it offers the right card to be selected (ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10)).
Modprobe works, and I can use sound after that. It does not survive a reboot though, so have to modprobe again.
I had originally upgraded my savefile, and thought I had 'broken' something after that. Did a fresh start, but the problem is still there.

Frugal install to HDD on a Compaq Armada M700, PIII 850

session

#67 Post by session »

redandwhitestripes wrote:Hi guys,
I came on here ready to install Wary on my Presario 2500 (P4, 256mb RAM) but after reading the threads, it seems as if Racy might be a better choice.

Any suggestions? I can trial both but as this old thing doesn't support USB installs, it's a chore to burn the cds and persuade it to boot them.
Are you sure you can't boot from usb? Did you tinker with the bios?
What OS is currently on the Presario? If it's Windows, have you considered UnetBootin?
I'm just saying, there's a LOT of ways to get a frugal puppy going without burning to cd...

If you really need to burn, I would suggest burning Wary, and then from there
it's very easy to setup other frugal environments (e.g. Racy) with Puppy's setup tools.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

Dewbie

#68 Post by Dewbie »

Keef wrote:
Sound isn't set up on first boot, which hasn't happened on any previous Wary.
The module is snd_es1968. Running alsaconf fails as well, although it offers the right card to be selected (ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10)).
Modprobe works, and I can use sound after that. It does not survive a reboot though, so have to modprobe again.
For what it's worth, my module is snd-es18xx.
Had the same problem with 3-series and 4-series Puppies, then everything was fine with Wary 5.1 series.
Also have Wary 5.2.2, but haven't tested sound yet.

artsown

Wary -- update Seamonkey

#69 Post by artsown »

The 2.6 something Seamonkey in Wary 5.5 was not functional at my
mutual fund web site. Using some clues from posts here, I managed
to get a up to date SM by first installing nobus-0.2-i486.pet from:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 93&start=1
and SM 2.12.1 from:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-wary5/

Then a update line appeared under SM Help and I got 2.16.2 Ok.

Barry, I know you detest the bloat but there's no way around the
issue. Older version browsers become useless very quickly. It makes
no sense to release a new version with such a outdated browser
with no apparent way to update it.

Art

linuxcbon

Re: Wary -- update Seamonkey

#70 Post by linuxcbon »

artsown wrote:The 2.6 something Seamonkey in Wary 5.5 was not functional at my mutual fund web site.
Why exactly ?

artsown

#71 Post by artsown »

Linuxcbon, I have no idea why SM was disfunctional. I only know that
updating got rid of the problem. The symptom (if that's what
you're asking) was that password entry took a very long time. It
failed to react for a long time to each key entry. I tried Firefox
on a different pup and it was ok so I knew it was a browser
issue. SM consistently misbehaved at that web site.

Art

Sage

#72 Post by Sage »

It
failed to react for a long time to each key entry.
Perhaps you have the 'slow keys' bug which is rampant at present. Several ways to reset the keyboard in this case. Hold shift down for >10s: works for all OSes. In Puppy, you may be able to visit the keyboard setting utility (with mouse, of course) and do something there?
More brutally, you can CTL-ALT-BKSPCE and all should be well again after xwin.
Be sure to let folks know if any of these worked or about any other you researched on the InterWeb.

watchdog

#73 Post by watchdog »

artsown wrote:Linuxcbon, I have no idea why SM was disfunctional. I only know that
updating got rid of the problem. The symptom (if that's what
failed to react for a long time to each key entry. I tried Firefox
on a different pup and it was ok so I knew it was a browser
issue. SM consistently misbehaved at that web site.
Art
I install the latest seamonkey from:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... /releases/

and use to preload its own libraries. Until seamonkey 2.16 tested by me it worked fine in this way. To preload seamonkey's own libraries I use to modify /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser with the following content:

#!/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/seamonkey:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib
exec /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey "$@"
Change the directory where is your seamonkey. Another way could be to modify in /etc/profile

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/seamonkey:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/usr/local/lib"

L18L

devx

#74 Post by L18L »

BaCon seems somewhat broken for me in racy 5.5.1
see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=498 ff please.
(compile and run with slacko has been possible.)
---
edit

If one could delete a post I would have deleted it.
but I can add:
forget it please!
devx is OK
Last edited by L18L on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

linuxcbon

#75 Post by linuxcbon »

Racy 5.5
- When unmounting drives from desktop, it doesnt refresh icons (dont know how to reproduce)
- In menu, the majority of entries are in english but some are in french, it's a mix. For example, desktop, xlock config in french.
- menu, desktop, set global font size, doesnt apply unless X or jwm is restarted manually.
- why is there a shmfs not used ?
- nice that ICU and LVM are not included, because they are big and bad.
- problem is libxul.so is huge, seamonkey is slow. Let's wait for replacements.

linuxcbon

#76 Post by linuxcbon »

artsown wrote: The symptom (if that's what
failed to react for a long time to each key entry. Art
Run that defect SM from console (type mozilla) and tell what are error messages.

artsown

#77 Post by artsown »

Watchdog, thanks for the info.

If there are no adverse effects to installing nobus, the method I
used simply involves the use of two pets ... a method useful for
noobs that could then be generally recommended.

Art

linuxcbon

#78 Post by linuxcbon »

artsown did you read my answer.

artsown

#79 Post by artsown »

Linuxcbon, I have no interest in the outdated SM. It has been
replaced with a up to date SM that works well .. as I have posted.

Art

Sage

#80 Post by Sage »

artsown did you read my answer.