Fatdog64 won't boot from flash drive after saving

Booting, installing, newbie
superdave

#16 Post by superdave »

Ok, I tried both FAT32 and EXT2 then click on the USB drive and when I click on apply and then apply again it it gives me an error message. Why would it do this? Do I need to do something else?

mini-jaguar

#17 Post by mini-jaguar »

You might want to rewrite the table (of the USB stick, of course) as well, it's in one of the drop-down menus. Choose MS-DOS.

You are not describing some steps though. How can you click the USB drive after? Especially if you are still in GParted? Did you format another drive?

1. !!!!! choose drive in GParted. Wrong drive and you screw up that drive.
2. At this point you may want to lay down a new partition table. It will erase everything on your drive. It's the menu to the left of the one where you choose to format a partition.
3. Choose a partition, size, type, etc.
4. Click the apply check (tick in U.K.) symbol.

Also, partition MUST be unmounted to be able to be re-formatted.

superdave

#18 Post by superdave »

I did the flash drive for sure. I matched it from the desktop name sdb. I see when I load the gparted again the file system says Fat32 so I think it worked. I added some podcasts today to it also from pmusic, but when I power off, it asks to create save file. When I do so it saves what i did, but does not save the system to the flash drive I am guessing. None of my settings remained. Is there something I need to do to over-ride the system to add it to the flash drive? This seems weird.

mini-jaguar

#19 Post by mini-jaguar »

It asks where you want to save the savefile when you make it.

However, it does seem to have a problem and does not load it when you do the next boot. I even tried the savefile argument builder under utilities (you have to boot again in this case) in the control panel (you have to add it to the kernel line) and it still did not load it, although it said it was loading it when booting.

I have it installed on the hd as well (works fine), I was just using a USB stick to test, without a savefile. I don't know if there's a conflict since it's on the hd also, but most likely there's a bug and you should ask kirk or jamesbond about this.

jamesbond

#20 Post by jamesbond »

If your savefile is on USB and you think everything is correct but your savefile is still not loaded, use the "waitdev=n" parameter. This will makes the boot process to wait for "n" seconds (so that your USB flash drive is detected) before trying to find the savefile. For me, "waitdev=5" usually works. YMMV.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

mini-jaguar

#21 Post by mini-jaguar »

Don't know about superdave, but it now works fine with waitdev=5 for me.