Slacko 5.5 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
jeffy39

ROX

#166 Post by jeffy39 »

Howdy John, thanx for the additional info.
I really know very little about ROX.
Best regards, jw

don570

#167 Post by don570 »

I was able to convert slacko 5.5 to Chinese

Instructions are HERE

Rope

#168 Post by Rope »

Hello. I have a series of problems. One is that I can't update Firefox from the menu help/update/check for updates it reads is updated but is version 19.

Also I have crashes. I do not know if it is FF related but I see it consumes resources.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB

SFR

#169 Post by SFR »

Hey Rope
Also I have crashes. I do not know if it is FF related but I see it consumes resources.
Is it total crash or you're still able to, for instance, move the mouse cursor?
I just remembered that I used to have some rare, random freezes too while using FF, but IIRC it never happened again since I switched to Chromium.
During the crash ROX stopped responding and there were always 1-2 processes in "uninterruptable sleep", so only (usually hard) reboot was the only option in such case.
Try different browser and see what happend...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Rope

#170 Post by Rope »

SFR wrote:Hey Rope
Is it total crash or you're still able to, for instance, move the mouse cursor?
I just remembered that I used to have some rare, random freezes too while using FF, but IIRC it never happened again since I switched to Chromium.
During the crash ROX stopped responding and there were always 1-2 processes in "uninterruptable sleep", so only (usually hard) reboot was the only option in such case.
Try different browser and see what happend...

Greetings!
Yes total freeze sometimes. I had to restart x or reboot. I was using FF (not many tabs sometimes), attym, and a find for files or something, nothing demanding.

The problem is that I need some FF plugins, but maybe chromium is better. I could try in sfs form to not bloat the savefile.

Also, I don see why the personal space lowers.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB

01micko

#171 Post by 01micko »

Rope,

For space, clear the firefox cache, I didn't limit it.

As for the updates manager, I don't know why that fails. The update now is Firefox-17.0.7-ESR, which runs more stable I think. Maybe try it again? Or else switch to chrome/chromium. You will likely get the latest on the forum.

Be aware chrome cache is hungry too.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

npierce

AbiWord doesn't load personal dictionary (Slacko only)

#172 Post by npierce »

In Slacko 5.5 (but not Precise 5.5 or 5.6) words saved to the personal dictionary (by clicking the Add button when checking spelling) are only available for documents in that session of AbiWord. When one exits and restarts Abiword, the new words are no longer recognised and are marked as misspelled. There appears to be a problem with the libenchant.so.1.5.0 library.

This bug was originally reported in its own thread by forum member don. For details and suggestions for a work-around, see the thread started by don: Spellchecker in ABIword

npierce

Missing /etc/shells file

#173 Post by npierce »

See my post in the Precise 5.6.9 thread: Missing /etc/shells file

Slacko 5.5 is also missing this file. This results in the same pure-ftpd failure which can be fixed by creating the /etc/shells file.

01micko

#174 Post by 01micko »

Thanks npierce

I'll add /etc/shells to the next,

Attached is enchant-1.6 compiled in slacko. It does seem to fix the spell bug.

EDIT:

I'm removing the attachment as enchant-1.6 and abiword-2.9.4 are available from this post
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

npierce

Re: enchant-1.6 and /etc/shells

#175 Post by npierce »

Thanks, Mick, for compiling enchant-1.6 for Slacko. I am happy to confirm that it does eliminate the personal dictionary bug for me as well. And, unlike the build of enchant-1.6 in Precise, this Slacko build still supports the same ispell dictionary file format that has traditionally been used with AbiWord. That's good news.

And it's good to know that /etc/shells will be in future Slackos.

Thanks for all of the long hours you work to provide us with Slacko.

Norm

canin

#176 Post by canin »

wrong thread, to be wiped...

nubc

#177 Post by nubc »

1. It's hard to understand why Slacko 5.5 would not include Asunder as a standard app in Multimedia.

2. It's hard to imagine that there is a better or easier program for ripping CDs than Asunder.

I tried to install Asunder with PPM. There were two packages available, one from Salix repo and one from Slacky repo. Neither of these worked, nor could be called from terminal once installed. Please make a PET for Asunder. It's an essential program.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#178 Post by Semme »

Either should execute. They're probably not missing much..

Code: Select all

ldd /usr/bin/asunder
Ah! It would likely run with the devx loaded.

IMHumbleO, Pup's not complete without it.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#179 Post by nubc »

I see now that Pmusic has a "Rip CD" button, but I haven't tried it yet. So if I have devx installed on my Slacko 5.5, then Asunder will be available and functional? Is it possible to install devx after I have full-installed Slacko 5.5? Or does the devx option have to be selected during original installation? I don't see "devx" in PPM.

Pmusic has a "Rip CD" button. Is this an independent ripping program, or has the developer of Pmusic merely integrated Asunder into Pmusic?

Okay, I downloaded devx_slacko_5.5.sfs from here. Now what do I do with it?
Last edited by nubc on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#180 Post by watchdog »

Use sfs2pet and install the pet of devx:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81316

I never used it: I use manual way to change a sfs in a pet. You can test if it works.
You can also use sfs_load to load the devx sfs in a full install:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowtoAddSFStoFullInstall

nubc

#181 Post by nubc »

Will installing devx have an impact on performance?