Slacko 5.5 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
artsown

#31 Post by artsown »

Micko, I'm not sure my "hang" problem starting one machine here is worth pursuing, but I want to
update you on something just in case you put effort into it. Recall I had mentioned that disconnecting
the cables from the DVD drive allowed slacko to start. But that was not the case when I tried both
PAE and 4G versions of 5.5. I can't get either to start. The message at the point of hang is:
Recognising media devices ... optical input_
where the last character is the frozen cursur. However, I've seen freezes where there was no
cursor, and also where there was no word "input" at the end.

The freezes only occur when attempting a fresh frugal. If I manage to get it started and create
a personal save file, I don't experience any more freezeups during startup.

The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200 with a p4 2.0 ghz cpu and 768 meg RAM. It does have
a USB 2.0 upgrade PCI card. I looked at the IRQ assignments in the BIOS and was tempted
to play with them, but the machine works fine and I don't want to mess it up i:) I did pull that
USB card but that didn't affect the freeze problem. The machine though does have a problem
when I try PLOP on a boot diskestte to get a puppy frugal on a USB drive to boot. PLOP works
fine on my other desktops, so this quirk is another oddity of the Dell 8200 that I don't know
the cause of.

Art

dejan555

#32 Post by dejan555 »

puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Doglover

#33 Post by Doglover »

I am having trouble with connecting wirelessly with my rt2500 card, it works flawlessly in dpup.

rt2500 did not work with the previous slacko either.

I use Dougal's. Cannot figure it out. Tried Frisbee and the
Simple Network Setup and no luck at all.

artsown

#34 Post by artsown »

Doglover, have you tried this workaround?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84266

gcmartin

#35 Post by gcmartin »

Hi _SWE and welcome to Puppyland

The PAE version has a newer kernel than the 4G version.You may find that one version may have better results in working with your hardware than the other, especially in an Out of the box (OOTB) boot.

Please ID which distro you are using so that community can replicate and assist.

duke93535

Missing Font Types

#36 Post by duke93535 »

I have found four missing font types in Slacko compared to Precise. The problem is the file “local.conf

Jim1911

Slacko 5.5 PAE version

#37 Post by Jim1911 »

Working great on my hardware.

Thanks, :D
Jim
Attachments
PSI-SYS-COMPLETE-130308.gz
(63.14 KiB) Downloaded 547 times

loubapache

#38 Post by loubapache »

Slack 5.5 4G

Tried on two different computers and wireless does not work on either.

Computer 1: Dell 11z with Broadcom wireless adapter. It can never connect so I blacklisted the one recognized by slacko and used a windows driver via ndiswrapper. That worked. However, after each shutdown/reboot with lightly encrypted save file, everything is lost and I had to re-connect. Tried the link posted by "artsown" and it did not make a difference.

Computer 2: This one has a RTL8192cu wireless adapter. Again slacko recognized it but can never connect. After blacklist the default driver and install a windows driver using ndiswrapper, it connected. However, after shutdown/reboot, it will not be automatically connected.

Downloaded pcmanfm from the repo. Several missing library files.

Other than that, things seem to work.

Thanks,
Last edited by loubapache on Sat 09 Mar 2013, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

Ray MK

#39 Post by Ray MK »

Slacko Puppy version 5.5, released Mar 2013
# uname -a
Linux puppypc32595 3.2.33-4g #1 SMP Fri Nov 2 20:42:54 EST 2012 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1804992 519916 1285076 0 26380
-/+ buffers: 493536 1311456
Swap:
# top
Mem: 533024K used, 1271968K free, 0K shrd, 28952K buff, 350504K cached
CPU: 4% usr 1% sys 0% nic 93% idle 0% io 0% irq 0% sirq
Load average: 0.08 0.16 0.21 2/113 6697

Uptime = 3 days and running perfect throughout - suspend / resume, wifi, browser, the lot - Luvly Puppy. Many thanks.
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
not a gz. rename to html.
(52.64 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

_SWE

#40 Post by _SWE »

gcmartin wrote:Hi _SWE and welcome to Puppyland

The PAE version has a newer kernel than the 4G version.You may find that one version may have better results in working with your hardware than the other, especially in an Out of the box (OOTB) boot.

Please ID which distro you are using so that community can replicate and assist.
Hi! Sorry for the delay,
Yes, of course, I forgot that info.
The slacko 5.5"-4g" was the CD boot in IBM NetVista with problems.

rcrsn51

#41 Post by rcrsn51 »

@_SWE: On Page 2, you were given some suggestions. What is your update on them?

_SWE

#42 Post by _SWE »

rcrsn51 wrote:These Brookdale graphics chips are a problem. When your CD boots up, there is an initial 5-second pause. Type

Code: Select all

puppy i915.modeset=0
Does that help? Mick will know better than me how to fix this.
No, sorry it did not (Slacko 55-4g)

Yes I DID get finally get in to the X and JWM , Also surfed the net, etc, The trick was to change the default bios settings, from 1MB to 8MB Memory.

BUT.. it will now "crash"after a language setting (..!)
It was not possible to log in here. Note: dont use letter "Å" in the passwd if you move on to an IBM Net Vista :-) It was just a black screen after trying that and the restart of X , after the language-keyboard and clock settings, firewall on.

CTRL+ALT+Backspace will take me back to terminal, Then "xwin" again = a black window again. -Hmm, is this working or not? So I did try to make a screenshot in the "blackness" there, And yes, it did beep. So I guess I am therefore in the X/Jwm ? It is just very...black. :-)

_SWE

#43 Post by _SWE »

gcmartin wrote:Hi _SWE and welcome to Puppyland

The PAE version has a newer kernel than the 4G version.You may find that one version may have better results in working with your hardware than the other,

Ok, I can try re-burn the CDRW with the PAE-kernel later, to see if anything changes.

I did give up after 1-2 day (and the boot options did not change the situation, but the bios video-memory away from default settings did) So, after all the different ways to fail, I found a AGP ATI(?) 9200 card, That actually did work, but I got some other kind of new errors in Puppy 5.5-4G, for example Pidgin did not install(maybe i dont understand it. But I have installed pidgin in 5.4 at another computer and it works in that one), and some webpages,for example roundcube webmail did not show up as they should do, blank white screen after login. and so on.. I think this is strange errors, maybe I need memtest?

_SWE

#44 Post by _SWE »

All versions and puppys I tried so far have been non-PAE,

The reason for that is pentium-M ! The laptops we have dont have that PAE-flag in processor, I think it is still without PAE in the HP/qompac n620c for example, I can investigate this further maybe, but my guess is that all Pentium M 1.4-1.6MHz from year 2003-2005 Does not have a PAE-flag. http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 0_div.HTML <-- That one is one of more professional series laptops I have. Very nice and (was) about 3 000 usd.. Not tested any Puppy on it yet. Regarding the error in IBM NetVista desktop tower, yes, that should be a P4 and should also have the PAE flag, I will remove the extra power-hungry AGP-card and test the other ISO when I have the time.

gcmartin

#45 Post by gcmartin »

_SWE wrote:All versions and puppys I tried so far have been non-PAE,

The reason for that is pentium-M ! The laptops we have dont have that PAE-flag in processor, I think it is still without PAE in the HP/qompac n620c for example, I can investigate this further maybe, but my guess is that all Pentium M 1.4-1.6MHz from year 2003-2005 Does not have a PAE-flag. http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 0_div.HTML <-- That one is one of more professional series laptops I have. Very nice and (was) about 3 000 usd.. Not tested any Puppy on it yet. Regarding the error in IBM NetVista desktop tower, yes, that should be a P4 and should also have the PAE flag, I will remove the extra power-hungry AGP-card and test the other ISO when I have the time.

AGREED! I don't think the kernel in PAE will offer a solution to your dilemma on that "M" processor.

_SWE

#46 Post by _SWE »

gcmartin wrote:
_SWE wrote:All versions and puppys I tried so far have been non-PAE,

The reason for that is pentium-M ! The laptops we have dont have that PAE-flag in processor, .. // .. Regarding the error in IBM NetVista desktop tower, yes, that should be a P4 and should also have the PAE flag, I will remove the extra power-hungry AGP-card and test the other ISO when I have the time.

AGREED! I don't think the kernel in PAE will offer a solution to your dilemma on that "M" processor.
Hi, Maybe I did not understand that, but the non-PAE ISO will be required to even be able to boot Puppy at all, it seems, and so in all semi-new Pentium M-Laptops up to 1.6GHz. Other processors for desktop computers have the PAE-flag since long time, maybe since 199x (?)

SFR

Trash sound

#47 Post by SFR »

Regarding to this and this (2nd comment).
I too discovered this just now...

EDIT: Here's the link to official fix.

If anyone prefer (I do) the old sound, here's quick fix (execute each line separately):

Code: Select all

sed -i "s/^ PlaySoundTrashIt/ PlaySound/" /usr/local/apps/Trash/AppRun
sed -i "s/^ PlaySoundTrashIt/ #PlaySoundTrashIt/" /usr/local/apps/Trash/template/temp-AppRun
sed -i "s/^ PlaySoundRestore/ #PlaySoundRestore/" /usr/local/apps/Trash/template/temp-AppRun
(tested only in Slacko, but since it's from Woof, should work elsewhere too)

The old behavior will be recreated, ie. "woof-woof" while trashing an item or emptying the Trash and no sound while restoring an item.

Greetings!
Last edited by SFR on Sat 09 Mar 2013, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

_SWE

#48 Post by _SWE »

Found this, Maybe a bit off topic, but it is probably one of the main reasons why they need to have a -4G version now:

Intel launched its improved Pentium M, formerly known as Dothan, named after another ancient town in Israel, on May 10, 2004. Dothan Pentium M processors (product code 80536, CPUID 0x6DX) are among the first Intel processors to be identified using a "processor number" rather than a clockspeed rating, and the mainstream versions are known as Pentium M 710 (1.4 GHz), 715 (1.5 GHz), 725 (1.6 GHz), 735 (1.7 GHz), 740 (1.73 GHz), 745 (1.8 GHz), 750 (1.86 GHz), 755 (2.0 GHz), and 765 (2.1 GHz).

These 700 series Pentium M processors retain the same basic design as the original Pentium M, but are manufactured on a 90 nm process, with twice the secondary cache. Die size, at 87 mm2, remains in the same neighborhood as the original Pentium M, even though the 700 series contains approximately 140 million transistors, most of which make up the 2 MB cache. TDP is also down to 21 watts (from 24.5 watts in Banias), though power use at lower clockspeeds has increased slightly. However, tests conducted by third party hardware review sites show that Banias and Dothan equipped notebooks have roughly equivalent battery life.[citation needed] Additionally third party hardware review sites have benchmarked the Dothan at approx 10-20% better performance than the Banias in most situations.

Revisions of the Dothan core were released in the first quarter of 2005 with the Sonoma chipsets and supported a 533 MT/s FSB and XD (Intel's name for the NX bit) (and PAE support required for it was enabled, unlike earlier Pentium Ms that had it disabled). These processors include the 730 (1.6 GHz), 740 (1.73 GHz), 750 (1.86 GHz), 760 (2.0 GHz) and 770 (2.13 GHz). These models all have a TDP of 27 W and a 2 MB L2 cache.

In July 2005, Intel released the 780 (2.26 GHz) and the low-voltage 778 (1.60 GHz).

The processor line has models running at clock speeds from 1.0 GHz to 2.26 GHz as of July 2005. The models with lower frequencies were either low voltage or ultra-low voltage CPUs designed for even better battery life and reduced heat output. The 718 (1.3 GHz), 738 (1.4 GHz), and 758 (1.5 GHz) models are low-voltage (1.116 V) with a TDP of 10 W, while the 723 (1.0 GHz), 733 (1.1 GHz), and 753 (1.2 GHz) models are ultra-low voltage (0.940 V) with a TDP of 5 W.
"
-Wpedia

01micko

#49 Post by 01micko »

_SWE

It is the reason I offer both versions. I do have an IBM r31 laptop with pentium M, 1.4GHz .

I also have a P4 with the Brookdale graphics. I did know that the bios video setting must be set to 8M, I will add that to the release notes. These were very troublesome in earlier Slacko versions and perhaps some of the work arounds for those may still be relevant. More later.

When you "log in" with password, do you mean the password fro an encrypted save file? I'm not 100% sure on this but i think they require ansii characters. Again, more later or can some one correct me if I'm wrong.

--

There will be an official patch for Slacko today for the trash issue.. it may be amusing to some but offensive to others.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

_SWE

#50 Post by _SWE »

01micko wrote:_SWE

It is the reason I offer both versions. I do have an IBM r31 laptop with pentium M, 1.4GHz .

I also have a P4 with the Brookdale graphics.
/../
When you "log in" with password, do you mean the password fro an encrypted save file?
Hi micko
Nice, then we have almost the "same" generations of HW,

Regarding the password,
-Nö, it was the pässwörd to this murga-förum,
I had some Swedish in it. :-)

With the P4 IBM NetVista and bios "8MB brokeddale" I can surf in a clean (English language) CD-boot, if I dont change anything! But I could not log in to this forum without "Ö". When I later did change it, with the early initial setup-window, then Puppy goes "black-screen". And that is a bug, I guess.(?) Or bad RAM(??) I did not find the Memtest on the CD But my burn was verified and md5 of Slacko 5.5-4G was also verified before burn.