Slacko 5.5 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
_SWE

#46 Post by _SWE »

gcmartin wrote:
_SWE wrote:All versions and puppys I tried so far have been non-PAE,

The reason for that is pentium-M ! The laptops we have dont have that PAE-flag in processor, .. // .. Regarding the error in IBM NetVista desktop tower, yes, that should be a P4 and should also have the PAE flag, I will remove the extra power-hungry AGP-card and test the other ISO when I have the time.

AGREED! I don't think the kernel in PAE will offer a solution to your dilemma on that "M" processor.
Hi, Maybe I did not understand that, but the non-PAE ISO will be required to even be able to boot Puppy at all, it seems, and so in all semi-new Pentium M-Laptops up to 1.6GHz. Other processors for desktop computers have the PAE-flag since long time, maybe since 199x (?)

SFR

Trash sound

#47 Post by SFR »

Regarding to this and this (2nd comment).
I too discovered this just now...

EDIT: Here's the link to official fix.

If anyone prefer (I do) the old sound, here's quick fix (execute each line separately):

Code: Select all

sed -i "s/^ PlaySoundTrashIt/ PlaySound/" /usr/local/apps/Trash/AppRun
sed -i "s/^ PlaySoundTrashIt/ #PlaySoundTrashIt/" /usr/local/apps/Trash/template/temp-AppRun
sed -i "s/^ PlaySoundRestore/ #PlaySoundRestore/" /usr/local/apps/Trash/template/temp-AppRun
(tested only in Slacko, but since it's from Woof, should work elsewhere too)

The old behavior will be recreated, ie. "woof-woof" while trashing an item or emptying the Trash and no sound while restoring an item.

Greetings!
Last edited by SFR on Sat 09 Mar 2013, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

_SWE

#48 Post by _SWE »

Found this, Maybe a bit off topic, but it is probably one of the main reasons why they need to have a -4G version now:

Intel launched its improved Pentium M, formerly known as Dothan, named after another ancient town in Israel, on May 10, 2004. Dothan Pentium M processors (product code 80536, CPUID 0x6DX) are among the first Intel processors to be identified using a "processor number" rather than a clockspeed rating, and the mainstream versions are known as Pentium M 710 (1.4 GHz), 715 (1.5 GHz), 725 (1.6 GHz), 735 (1.7 GHz), 740 (1.73 GHz), 745 (1.8 GHz), 750 (1.86 GHz), 755 (2.0 GHz), and 765 (2.1 GHz).

These 700 series Pentium M processors retain the same basic design as the original Pentium M, but are manufactured on a 90 nm process, with twice the secondary cache. Die size, at 87 mm2, remains in the same neighborhood as the original Pentium M, even though the 700 series contains approximately 140 million transistors, most of which make up the 2 MB cache. TDP is also down to 21 watts (from 24.5 watts in Banias), though power use at lower clockspeeds has increased slightly. However, tests conducted by third party hardware review sites show that Banias and Dothan equipped notebooks have roughly equivalent battery life.[citation needed] Additionally third party hardware review sites have benchmarked the Dothan at approx 10-20% better performance than the Banias in most situations.

Revisions of the Dothan core were released in the first quarter of 2005 with the Sonoma chipsets and supported a 533 MT/s FSB and XD (Intel's name for the NX bit) (and PAE support required for it was enabled, unlike earlier Pentium Ms that had it disabled). These processors include the 730 (1.6 GHz), 740 (1.73 GHz), 750 (1.86 GHz), 760 (2.0 GHz) and 770 (2.13 GHz). These models all have a TDP of 27 W and a 2 MB L2 cache.

In July 2005, Intel released the 780 (2.26 GHz) and the low-voltage 778 (1.60 GHz).

The processor line has models running at clock speeds from 1.0 GHz to 2.26 GHz as of July 2005. The models with lower frequencies were either low voltage or ultra-low voltage CPUs designed for even better battery life and reduced heat output. The 718 (1.3 GHz), 738 (1.4 GHz), and 758 (1.5 GHz) models are low-voltage (1.116 V) with a TDP of 10 W, while the 723 (1.0 GHz), 733 (1.1 GHz), and 753 (1.2 GHz) models are ultra-low voltage (0.940 V) with a TDP of 5 W.
"
-Wpedia

01micko

#49 Post by 01micko »

_SWE

It is the reason I offer both versions. I do have an IBM r31 laptop with pentium M, 1.4GHz .

I also have a P4 with the Brookdale graphics. I did know that the bios video setting must be set to 8M, I will add that to the release notes. These were very troublesome in earlier Slacko versions and perhaps some of the work arounds for those may still be relevant. More later.

When you "log in" with password, do you mean the password fro an encrypted save file? I'm not 100% sure on this but i think they require ansii characters. Again, more later or can some one correct me if I'm wrong.

--

There will be an official patch for Slacko today for the trash issue.. it may be amusing to some but offensive to others.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

_SWE

#50 Post by _SWE »

01micko wrote:_SWE

It is the reason I offer both versions. I do have an IBM r31 laptop with pentium M, 1.4GHz .

I also have a P4 with the Brookdale graphics.
/../
When you "log in" with password, do you mean the password fro an encrypted save file?
Hi micko
Nice, then we have almost the "same" generations of HW,

Regarding the password,
-Nö, it was the pässwörd to this murga-förum,
I had some Swedish in it. :-)

With the P4 IBM NetVista and bios "8MB brokeddale" I can surf in a clean (English language) CD-boot, if I dont change anything! But I could not log in to this forum without "Ö". When I later did change it, with the early initial setup-window, then Puppy goes "black-screen". And that is a bug, I guess.(?) Or bad RAM(??) I did not find the Memtest on the CD But my burn was verified and md5 of Slacko 5.5-4G was also verified before burn.

01micko

#51 Post by 01micko »

Bugfixes and enhancements are up now.

See HERE

SFR

#52 Post by SFR »

01micko wrote:There will be an official patch for Slacko today for the trash issue..
Thanks and sorry - I didn't expect you'll take care of this so quickly. :)
I did amend my previous post to avoid confusion.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

01micko

#53 Post by 01micko »

SFR wrote:
01micko wrote:There will be an official patch for Slacko today for the trash issue..
Thanks and sorry - I didn't expect you'll take care of this so quickly. :)
I did amend my previous post to avoid confusion.

Greetings!
No issue :) . just that it should be available in the first (or second :P ) post. It's bad!

playdayz

#54 Post by playdayz »

Here are the 2 OS's on my new work lappie. Right Sage, no Windows! I call it the first Slacko UltraBook. Yes, Slacko is running from an SSD, Very, very quickly..

The difference in RAM footprint is not the whole story. Kubuntu runs more quickly than any of the other Ubuntu desktops in my experience, and basically as fast as Slacko. In fact LibreOffice Writer opens notably faster on Kubuntu than in Slacko. At least KDE uses all of that ram effectively. I have Kubuntu basically to run the Netflix App without Windows. The Netflix App alone is over 300MB, more than twice as big as all of Slacko. On the other hand, Slacko has Libre 4.0 while Kubuntu still has 3.6.5. So I can do 95% of my work with Slacko.

Congratulations Micko on 5.5 and the #2.

2 anomalies in the next message.
Attachments
Kubuntu-12.10.png
(17.85 KiB) Downloaded 1750 times
Slacko-5.5.png
(10.71 KiB) Downloaded 1756 times
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 10 Mar 2013, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#55 Post by playdayz »

1. Does not load driver for ethernet. This is new kit, and Ubuntu 12.10 had the same problem not detecting the ethernet. I think it was the upgrade to the 3.5.0.19 kernel that fixed it in Ubuntu--it is still present in Slacko. It is the other reason I have Kubuntu, just in case I need ethernet--not likely.

2. powerapplet-tray doesn't run. In terminal

Oh yeah, Lenovo G580, Intel i3, 4GB, 120GB SSD.

Code: Select all

# ./powerapplet_tray
Floating point exception
# 
Small potatos. Thanks.

01micko

#56 Post by 01micko »

Does not load driver for ethernet.
Might be too new for the kernel, try PHATSlacko k3.8.2.. see derivatives.
Floating point exception
Try vattery in the PPM.

:)

horhota

Please fix Citrix in Slacko 5.5 - please!

#57 Post by horhota »

Hello Micko,
This new release, and release 5.4, look fantastic but I'm doomed to stay with 5.3.3 unless you can fix the Citrix web plugin. I connect from home to my office computers using my browser and a tool called Citrix. Its similar to remote desktop and a lot of companies have it to allow people to work from home. It has been working fine for me in 5.3.1 and 5.3.3 using a the CitrixICA-10.6.115659_openmotif-2.3.1_i486.pet I downloaded from this forum a few years ago. I can still connect to the company web site and when I specify the computer I want to connect to it still downloads the launch.ica file. I specify it should be opened with wfica which was installed by the pet file but instead of going to the destination computer, it pops up a window saying "Client Error. No connection to(followed by a long string of letters and numbers). Invalid server browser command header received". I don't know where to look for any other errors or logs. If you need more info please let me know and I'll do whatever I can to help.
I really like these new releases but I couldn't use 5.4 because of this and I won't be able to use 5.5 either. I would really appreciate if you could look into this and see if you can find a fix or workaround.
Please!!! and Thanks!

starhawk

#58 Post by starhawk »

Works on my little Commell board, with the Xorg Generic driver and all! (Haven't tested it on the LCD, but it works on the CRT...) Nice :D

eBay-issue 12v 96w power brick + motherboard built-in power supply
Commell LE-370Z 3.5" Miniboard (it's 4"x6"x2" in size)
Integrated 600MHz ULV Celeron-M CPU
Intel 852GM+ICH4 chipset
1GB PC3200 DDR1 (clocked at 266MHz [PC2100] due to board limitations)
PNY Verto FX5500 PCI graphics card (that's a GeForce FX5500)
Spare laptop optical drive (thinkpad-issue) with 44pin adapter and 44pin 44wire cable
(no HDD at the moment, and nothing in the onboard CF slot yet)
Dell AT101W mechanical (not membrane!) PS/2 keyboard
Spare eMachines PS/2 mechanical/ball scroll mouse
Dell PS/2 splitter (board only has one port)
eMachines eView 17f2 monitor

I'll try Precise, "just for the halibut" (as my father would say) but I'll probably stick with Slacko because it works.

Haven't tested sound yet.

starhawk

#59 Post by starhawk »

Tried to post FROM the Commell system -- didn't happen :(

I tried with two USB adapters, neither stayed connected. One is a Rosewill RNX-N150UBE -- WikiDevi says that uses the r8712u driver. The other is a Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 -- WikiDevi says it uses rt2800usb.

The -N150UBE adapter was recognized by the system, but the interface was "x" in Simple Network Setup. Both adapters dropped the network within 2 minutes of connecting, and would not reconnect.

Not sure if that's a bug in Slacko or my hardware.

Sound DOES work though -- however, moving the mouse causes an audible buzz in the speakers. (They're cheap speakers. Cyber Acoustics junk -- and it IS junk!)

I've attached a HardInfo report copied over by force of flash drive. I'll test multimedia playback in a little bit.

As a note... to make the LCD I'm using work with everything else, I selected "probe" then "1024x768" then the "basic 15inch CRT" option ;) Still quirky on the graphics,but that's OK.

EDIT: put an MP3 on the flash drive, swapped it over, plays GREAT! Cool! Now just need to figure out what's going on with those wifi cards...
Attachments
hardinfo_report.txt.gz
NOT an archive! Rename to 'hardinfo_report.txt' and open as text ;)
(18.15 KiB) Downloaded 316 times

01micko

#60 Post by 01micko »

starhawk

it's a power management issue with realtek wifi, Artstown started a "howto" thread and it is also mentioned on the Slacko website. Here.

HTH

rjbrewer

#61 Post by rjbrewer »

Neither Slacko5.5-4g or Wary5.5 see or have an icon appear
when a blank cd-rw, dvd-rw is inserted. Pmount also doesn't
see them.
Both burn-iso-tocd and pburn see them; but may burn an
iso that gives kernel-panic.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rcrsn51

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

rjbrewer wrote:Neither Slacko5.5-4g or Wary5.5 see or have an icon appear when a blank cd-rw, dvd-rw is inserted. Pmount also doesn't see them.
IIRC, there was a problem in Precise where audio CD's were not being detected at all. This required changes to tools like probedisk and these changes are probably now in woof. So they will affect subsequent Puppies.
Both burn-iso-tocd and pburn see them; but may burn an iso that gives kernel-panic.
I will do some tests with this.

[Edit] Using Wary 55, I burned some ISOs using burniso2cd. Like you reported, the blank discs were not detected. However, the burned CDs all booted correctly without kernel panics.

I believe that whatever burning problems you are having, they are not related to the issue of disc detection.

rjbrewer

#63 Post by rjbrewer »

rcrsn51 wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:Neither Slacko5.5-4g or Wary5.5 see or have an icon appear when a blank cd-rw, dvd-rw is inserted. Pmount also doesn't see them.
IIRC, there was a problem in Precise where audio CD's were not being detected at all. This required changes to tools like probedisk and these changes are probably now in woof. So they will affect subsequent Puppies.
Both burn-iso-tocd and pburn see them; but may burn an iso that gives kernel-panic.
I will do some tests with this.

[Edit] Using Wary 55, I burned some ISOs using burniso2cd. Like you reported, the blank discs were not detected. However, the burned CDs all booted correctly without kernel panics.

I believe that whatever burning problems you are having, they are not related to the issue of disc detection.
I should have mentioned; the burning problems took
place one evening. The next day the burns were working,
using the same iso's, devices, and methods.
Don't have a clue why.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

xophist

closing jwm windows [solved]

#64 Post by xophist »

EDIT: This is a feature, not a bug!
Thanks to anikin for pointing out the thread where this has been discussed. I don't like this feature, but the change in behavior is too trivial to gripe about.

A trivial issue with slacko5.5-PAE (no user changes made after bootup), not seen in slacko5.4-PAE:

When closing a window, as the arrow cursor nears the "x" in the upper right of the window frame, the arrow changes to a rectangle. This is not desirable, but is a very minor issue.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to stop the change in cursor indicator, i.e. to revert to the jwm behavior in slacko5.4-PAE?
Last edited by xophist on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

Tote

#65 Post by Tote »

I think that's a feature of the latest version of jmw which has probably been used in the 5.5 Slacko, but you'll want to wait for someone smarter than me to tell you how to disable it. :?