Slacko 5.5 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#91 Post by 01micko »

8-bit wrote:I have been using Slacko 5.5 for a while and everything was working well.
So this may come under the category of "If it is not broke, don't fix it.
But I went to menu - desktop - fontwizard and clicked on all the options and tried apply.
All I saw initially was that the font in AbiWord seemed to be darker.
So I went back and unchecked those boxes.
Now, the fonts that appear in program headers, the menu, and other places seem ragged and I tried rechecking the boxes in fontwizard with no change.
So now I am at a loss as what to do beside reinstalling Slacko 5.5.
I should mention that the fonts were initially quite clear in all places and applications before I started playing with Fontwizard.

So, can this be verified that there is a problem with Fontwizard.

I do have the Nvidia pet installed by the way.

Also, is there an easy way out of my situation?
Yes there is. Barry changed it, not so good for Slacko :( . Easy fix, just delete ~/.fonts.conf (hidden file), restart X and you are back to square 1. If you still have problems search the LQ slackware threads for decent info.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

8-bit

#92 Post by 8-bit »

Thank you for that information!
I did not have a lot of stuff added to Slacko 5.5.00 so I made a new pupsave file and reinstalled the stuff I previously had.
I had forgot to mention that the monitor I am using is a LCD type and the fonts have always been very clear with any Puppy version.
Since I still have the old pupsave file though, I will try your suggestion and see what happens.
Thank you again.

greengeek

#93 Post by greengeek »

Booted successfully from frugal install (without savefile) but during first shutdown (after selecting savefile parameters) I got messages regarding "Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed". It was necessary to use the hard poweroff to complete shutdown.

Next reboot resulted in a corrupted desktop.

Toshiba TE2100 laptop
2GHz, 512MB.

EDIT : I deleted the savefile and tried again - this time successfully.
The first time around I had activated the firewall, and also changed timezone and language, so maybe that explains the different behaviour somehow.

I should have mentioned the savefile parameters are: ext2, 256MB
Attachments
Shutdown prob after savefile create.JPG
(92.91 KiB) Downloaded 1608 times
Icon prob after full boot.JPG
(43.04 KiB) Downloaded 1531 times

watchdog

Hp printers on Slacko 5.5 and cam viewer

#94 Post by watchdog »

All working in my install of slacko 5.5 now but I had some hard problems due to the not mature repositories and a PPM not perfect. Attempting to install guvcview I destroyed my slackosave: I had success instead with wxcam from slackware14 repository and examining a few dependencies. I use wxcam with preloading libv4l or v4l-utils. I compiled 0.8.6 version of v4l-utils you can find in this post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 726f43fd1e

Installing a hp printer-scanner all in one I had troubles: I had not success with hplip in repositories, neither puppy4 hplip works. I had success running the sh script from:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html

choosing debian 6.0 (slackware not listed). I don't have the skills to modify the script to put in a pet package the working hplip.

rodin.s

main sfs not found on SSD-drive

#95 Post by rodin.s »

Some interesting problem have been reported on Russian Puppy forum. I have made Russian Slacko installer for Windows. After installation it in Windows-7 it gives message "main sfs not found". It was reported that Puppy directory with all files is created correctly. Windows installer creates something like this in menu.lst:

Code: Select all

title Slacko Puppy 55
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Slacko-Puppy-55/initrd.gz
kernel /Slacko-Puppy-55/vmlinuz psubdir="Slacko-Puppy-55"
initrd /Slacko-Puppy-55/initrd.gz
boot
After modifying this line in menu.lst

kernel /Slacko-Puppy-55/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir="Slacko-Puppy-55" pupsfs=sda1:/Slacko-Puppy-55/puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs
main sfs was found, but there was kernel panic after switching to layered file system.
Precise-5.5 and Slacko-5.4 have also failed to find main sfs.
It's strange. Main sfs is not found even if it is next to vmlinuz and initrd.gz in the same directory and when in is specified as a parameter it gives kernel panic.
Installation on SSD-drive with one partition.

rcrsn51

Re: Hp printers on Slacko 5.5 and cam viewer

#96 Post by rcrsn51 »

watchdog wrote:Installing a hp printer-scanner all in one I had troubles:.
For information about printing in Puppy, read here. It has print/scan drivers for your HP unit.

rcrsn51

Re: main sfs not found on SSD-drive

#97 Post by rcrsn51 »

rodin.s wrote:pmedia=ataflash ..... Installation on SSD-drive with one partition.
IIRC, there have been other reports of this problem with SSD's. I would try this.

kernel /Slacko-Puppy-55/vmlinuz pmedia=cd
This is Puppy's most "aggressive" search mode.

However, the kernel panic suggests that Puppy is incompatible with the way that the SSD has been formatted.

rodin.s

#98 Post by rodin.s »

Thank you for the info. It might be useful.

01micko

#99 Post by 01micko »

rodin.s

Sounds to me like the driver for the ssd isn't loaded in time, or at all. Can you confirm if the driver exists in the initrd.gz? Or even in the main sfs?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

watchdog

Re: Hp printers on Slacko 5.5 and cam viewer

#100 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote:
watchdog wrote:Installing a hp printer-scanner all in one I had troubles:.
For information about printing in Puppy, read here. It has print/scan drivers for your HP unit.
Thanks! I realized that your pets work on a fresh install. I always found hplip in repositories. With precise I use that of ubuntu repositories. With wary I use puppy4 hplip. I knew of your tutorial but it did not come in my mind.

rodin.s

main sfs not found on SSD-drive

#101 Post by rodin.s »

01micko,
it's not my computer, so I can't do any testing. I'll try to get more information if I can.

oldyeller

#102 Post by oldyeller »

Hi Mick,

Running on my dell d430.

I would like to know if you would recompile bibletime for the new slacko? The one in the repo works, but closes when closing a book not the program and sometimes the graphics don't show up. I am running 5.5 non-pae.

On the pae version the graphics don't show at all.

Video-Info 1.5.1 - Mon 15 Apr 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.5 - Linux 3.2.33-4g i686

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
oem: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (338x270 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Cheers

sejur2002

Slacko5.5 and TL-WN727N

#103 Post by sejur2002 »

Hello !
I have this very old laptop Asus L1400B . I do not know how to make my usb wireless adapter TL-WN727N ( RT3070 chipset ; ID - 148f:3070 ) to work under Slacko 5.5 Live CD whit save file on internal HDD .
The network manager auto loads the rt2800usb module for it, it detects the interface , but no connection at all .
I tried this : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 245#672245 but no luck :( !

I have to say I'm newbie in linux !!!!!
Sorry for my english .

Thanks !
Asus L1400B / PIII-M 1GHz / 640MB SDRAM / VGA Intel 830M

Sage

#104 Post by Sage »

the rt2800usb module
We did this problem in one of the Puppy threads several months ago. It now works with some Puppies and some boards for me, so I've forgotten the answer. May have to blacklist some other modules? and run it as a different model. Unless our resident expert, (rerwin?,) passes this way, I suggest you settle down to a long session with the "Search" for the answer.

tempestuous

#105 Post by tempestuous »

Sage wrote:
the rt2800usb module
We did this problem in one of the Puppy threads several months ago.
"We" dealt with this problem several years ago (August 2010) when the rt2800usb driver first appeared in Puppy Lucid 5.1.
The only comprehensive fix is to replace the unreliable rt2800usb official driver with the vendor-supplied drivers, which I provided for Lucid 5.1/5.2 here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 085#481085
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 360#513360

I have not provided these vendor drivers for any Puppy version since then. I don't have much time these days, and I don't have kernel compiling environments of any modern Puppies installed.

Sage

#106 Post by Sage »

several years ago
Ah, time dims the memory; glad of your corrections, refs. and update.

sejur2002

Thank you !

#107 Post by sejur2002 »

I would like to thank Sage , tempestuous for quick answers !
Given that almost two months I discovered " Linux world " , I think the best solution for me is to change the USB adapter with one from wireless / wifi cards confirmed list ! :idea: search function is useful :)

So again thanks for the support !!!
Sorry for my English .
Asus L1400B / PIII-M 1GHz / 640MB SDRAM / VGA Intel 830M

tempestuous

#108 Post by tempestuous »

sejur2002 wrote:The network manager auto loads the rt2800usb module for it, it detects the interface , but no connection at all .
I tried this : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 245#672245 but no luck :( !
That's a driver (kernel module) for Precise 5.4. It's totally incompatible with Slacko 5.5.
sejur2002 wrote:I think the best solution for me is to change the USB adapter with one from wireless / wifi cards confirmed list !
There's no reason why you couldn't use your existing TL-WN727N with the rt3070sta driver that I mentioned in my previous post -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 360#513360
... but of course, you can only use this driver with Lucid 5.2.5 or 5.2.8.

Karl Godt

#109 Post by Karl Godt »

Not a biggy cos uncommon : Have a reiser4 partition for experiments and

# disktype /dev/sdd6

--- /dev/sdd6
Block device, size 1.804 GiB (1936630784 bytes)
Reiser4 file system (4.0 layout, block size 4 KiB)
UUID 058FD949-FE32-41B4-9084-7C6E39FAD09F (DCE, v4)
Volume size 1.804 GiB (1936588800 bytes, 472800 blocks of 4 KiB)

detects it correctly, but

# blkid /dev/sdd6
/dev/sdd6: UUID="058fd949-fe32-41b4-9084-7c6e39fad09f" TYPE="reiserfs"

not .

[ guess_fstype /dev/sdd6 unknown ]

This affects a little bit probepart script and scripts that rely on probepart output ( _fronted_d, pmount, partview, etc )

pmount and partview looking nice though !

Overall Slacko-5.5 (-4g) : Clean and nice fonts in FF in opposite to current Ubuntu Puppies . Good work !

EDIT : Running an older Puppy 4.3.1 : blkid works correctly >
/dev/sdc6: UUID="058fd949-fe32-41b4-9084-7c6e39fad09f" TYPE="reiser4"
/EDIT
Last edited by Karl Godt on Fri 19 Apr 2013, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#110 Post by Lobster »

:D

Got my backup computer and my main computer working again.
The main one really bothered me. Finally traced it to a ram module that was loose or dirty. Was not getting even a bios . . . so pleased.

Been using Ipad with a 'keyboard cover' as my main machine for months now. So Slacko is up against that.

They are very different. The Ipad is slick, polished and really just works. You are limited in what you can do though. It is a secure but limited environment.

I will go through the posts in this thread later . . . but for now:

No probs with boot and set up. May need the special ATI radeo driver. Using Vesa I think for now . . .

Sound was an issue.
I have two cards and the sound was OK for 'woof woof' but only worked with mediaplayer when I selected what card to use in the mediaplayer . . .

Loved them SFS, great programs. Openshot + Blender . . . hope that works, they are running but I may also need Python . . .

I have loaded Xfce, KDE and another window manager but forget how to run them from the command line. A util that does that and places them in the menu would be good. I am sure something like this is available?

Thanks Mick, wanted a woof based Puppy, either one of Barrys or Slacko . . . I was tempted by Precise and 'Carolina' and nearly installed 'Fatdog'. In the end I need solidity with tweaks.

Slacko delivers. I made the right choice. Thanks guys. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D