Petget states app is in Utility but it's not

Please post any bugs you have found
B.K. Johnson

Petget states app is in Utility but it's not

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Puppy in use: slacko-5.7. Frugal install; 8 GB flash drive; 3 GB RAM.

I have seen a number of pets when deployed by petget indicate that the application can be seen listed in the menu under Utility, however no such item is to be found in the menu.

The most recent incidence occurred when cleaning up my system today and saw wireless_tools-29-slacko-i486.pet. Either I forgot to get it or there was no documentation when I downloaded the pet. I don't install anything unless I know what it does, so I went searching for documentation. I found and downloaded wireless_tools_DOC-29-slacko-i486.pet, clicked on it to install, but alas nothing in the menu, no desktop file in /usr/share/applications., but the pet is listed in the Uninstall Package list when in PPM.

Question
Is it that when petget encounters a pet that is "incomplete", for example no xx.desktop file, then Utility is the default menu category? Not acceptable! A more robust petget is needed if this is the case.

B.K. Johnson

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

This is caused mainly by poor pet building.
The person that built the pet not getting everything correct.
The pet may have something in it identifying it as a utility, but not all that is needed to make a menu entry.

Your example:
wireless_tools_DOC-29-slacko-i486.pet

That doc says to me this is doc files for the wireless tools. Those do not get menu entries.
They just usually get placed in the appropriate directory for the type of files they are.
I think these are the man pages for the wireless tools used in Slacko.

Petget only has the information the pet package gives it. If that info is wrong, blame the person that put the pet package together.

That is why the message after the install gives you two possible results.
Read the message in full.
Attachments
Screenshot(7).png
(19.76 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

B.K. Johnson

#3 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hello bigpup

Apologies for taking so long to reply. As posted here,
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 608#797608
and here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 463#798463

when installing Firefox it deleted seamonkey/composer and my reply to your post which was being written in composer. Frustration and anger got the better of me and I didn't restart/reconstruct the reply. Better manners demanded that I do, so here it is.
andYour This is caused mainly by poor pet building. The person that built the pet not getting everything correct
. ...
The pet may have something in it identifying it as a utility, but not all that is needed to make a menu entry.
Petget only has the information the pet package gives it. If that info is wrong, blame the person that put the pet package together.
I agree that the pet creator missed some things. But don't you think petget should test for all the requisites? I do. If it dooesn't then it is bad design. Hence my comment that petget needs to be more robust. Blame can be shared - programmer and pet creator.
Your example: wireless_tools_DOC-29-slacko-i486.pet That doc says to me this is doc files for the wireless tools.
Agreed! Getting documentation was the reason for downloading the pet as I explained.

Code: Select all

Those do not get menu entries.
True! That raises a fundamental problem in puppy I think. Should DOC files be stand alone pets if they are not accessible? Do we use pFind? What do we look for? Using this wireless_tools as example, the Linux experts, the people who know what the application does, the experimenters who blindly install applications will download wireless_tools-29-slacko-i486.pet ONLY. They don't need/use documentation. But what if the user, say a Windows refugee, wants to know what the wireless_tools pet does? Are we in puppyland saying that he/she must download both pets to find out what it does, then uninstall if it doesn't satisfy her? Ugh!
They just usually get placed in the appropriate directory for the type of files they are.
I don't understand. All the user knows is that the pet is DOCumentation for wireless_tools, is about wireless/network, a set of noname tools and categorized as Utility. Based on what he knows, what is the type of file and what would be an appropriate directory to look in? I could not tell and there is no guarantee that searching for wireless+tools will give a positive result. File naming and ditrctoty placement are discretionaty; they depend on the whims of the pet creator. Should I/user have to go through that anyway?

I think these are the man pages for the wireless tools used in Slacko.
If that be so, then I would not expect this DOC to be a copy of the man pages, but a link to someplace on the web where the man pages are.
That is why the message after the install gives you two possible results. Read the message in full.
I did. There is no entry in Utility so since it must therefore be a packagr that does not have a mrnu rntry, how do I find it?

B.K. Johnson
Attachments
install-popup.png
commented dialog box on pet install completition
(28.29 KiB) Downloaded 424 times

slavvo67

#4 Post by slavvo67 »

BK,

If you use your filemanager and go into the root directory, there's a hidden directory called .packages. In Roxfiler, there's an eyeball as an icon on the top. If you left click, it will show hidden directories. If you look in the packages directory, there are a bunch of text files showing you where all the installed items end up in puppy.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Slavvo67

Also, keep in mind you can uninstall the Pets you install through the Puppy Package Manager (PPM). I'm pretty sure you can reinstall Seamonkey from there, as well. If you want Firefox, I suggest you search the board for the portable version. It works quite nice and doesn't install quite like normal pets.

B.K. Johnson

#5 Post by B.K. Johnson »

slavvo67 wrote
If you use your filemanager and go into the root directory, there's a hidden directory called .packages. In Roxfiler, there's an eyeball as an icon on the top. If you left click, it will show hidden directories. If you look in the packages directory, there are a bunch of text files showing you where all the installed items end up in puppy.

Hope this helps.
I knew about clicking the eye to display hidden directories but not about the packages directoeies and contents. This is great to know. Thanks. :D

Also, keep in mind you can uninstall the Pets you install through the Puppy Package Manager (PPM). I'm pretty sure you can reinstall Seamonkey from there, as well. If you want Firefox, I suggest you search the board for the portable version. It works quite nice and doesn't install quite like normal pets.
The issue was that when installing Frefox it killed the seamonkey desktop file. It's fixed now.

BK