alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Arefacti

help

#286 Post by Arefacti »

mike delaw wrote:
simargl wrote:
Watch YouTube videos in a new way: you type a keyword, Minitube gives you an endless video stream. Minitube is not about cloning the YouTube website, it aims to create a new TV-like experience.
Alternative to Minitube:
http://gtk-apps.org/content/show.php?content=138588
http://www.linuxandlife.com/2012/04/gme ... e-for.html
Hello,
seems to me great !
but, unfortunately I don't know how I could install it (gmediafinder seems better).
could you help me please ?

simargl

#287 Post by simargl »

Currently there is 81 package in repository http://code.google.com/p/alphaos/downloads/list, so spkg_gui starts really fast but I wanted to examine what would happen in case this repository is much bigger. More precisely if there is 5900 packages - this number is not chosen randomly but is equal to current number of packages in Arch Linux repository. Test results are bellow. Mentioned pkgs.list.db is file that has data about all available packages, when you press update button background script actually download and extract that file, and use it for making list of packages (name, version, description).

===================================
81 packages in repository (pkgs.list.db 12.9 KB)

[root@alphaos ~]# time spkg_gui
real 0m1.147s
user 0m0.490s
sys 0m0.037s

real 0m1.138s
user 0m0.510s
sys 0m0.040s

real 0m1.198s
user 0m0.480s
sys 0m0.060s

5900 packages in repository (pkgs.list.db 84.8 KB)

real 0m6.382s
user 0m5.290s
sys 0m1.010s

real 0m5.408s
user 0m5.077s
sys 0m0.293s

real 0m4.900s
user 0m4.560s
sys 0m0.263s

ethan42411

#288 Post by ethan42411 »

Sorry,how to system automount drives on utf8?

thanks

Pelo

Root password in Puppy's house ?

#289 Post by Pelo »

Root password in Puppy's house ? you are afraid thar your children play the wonderful eighties games or surf on adults sites ?
Oh that distro will be used in factories with at least thousands of people using it on their office desk, computing with Libre office suite, managing their warehouse with.... with.... ?
Managing the staff with, with .... ?
And to issue salaries sheets with ?

I agree, a password is really necessary, But use other LINUX !

Sir, I am beside you, here you work without root. Everybody is root !

Pelo

Alpha OS4 : i am trying it to-day !

#290 Post by Pelo »

Alpha OS4 : i am trying it to-day ! I am sure that this distro is going to be very practical. Outside the old grouchy of the old Linux!

simargl

#291 Post by simargl »

ethan42411 wrote:Sorry,how to system automount drives on utf8?

thanks
I'm not sure what you mean, is there some problem with displaying characters in your language. For that I think you need to find proper fonts.

Pelo, alphaOS is root by default like every other puppy, and like all other it has root password only that password is different - see user account in Help->System configuration
Last edited by simargl on Wed 17 Apr 2013, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

Arefacti

Re: Root password in Puppy's house ?

#292 Post by Arefacti »

Pelo wrote:Root password in Puppy's house ? you are afraid thar your children play the wonderful eighties games or surf on adults sites ?
Oh that distro will be used in factories with at least thousands of people using it on their office desk, computing with Libre office suite, managing their warehouse with.... with.... ?
Managing the staff with, with .... ?
And to issue salaries sheets with ?

I agree, a password is really necessary, But use other LINUX !

Sir, I am beside you, here you work without root. Everybody is root !
is this post in the right topic ???

hart

#293 Post by hart »

Hi,

I just discovered your work and it seems very good, quite exactly what I needed. Thank you.
I have tested it as a Live CD and i decided to use it on an usb stick with a frugal install but i've got some troubles booting. In fact it just stop without launching X, i think. I get stuck on text mode with just "alphaos: root" and something like "Last connection 15 april xxx 2013". I've passed, i think successfully, every loading (kernel, etc...). I even tryed to use "alphaosx" to launch X but it doesn't change anything.
And, i forgot but i'm using the last version on sourceforge.

Thank you

Bye

simargl

#294 Post by simargl »

Hi hart,
what is your graphic card, if it's redeon see this post
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 521#698521.
In /etc/rc.conf you can disable Xorg autostart, if you need to fix things before.

Mobeus

#295 Post by Mobeus »

Just an idea.

Maybe add a custom kernel param just for troublesome video cards. Something like module=radeon, and write that to rc.cong.

An Ugly hack for sure and don't know if it would even work, but if no one has a better suggestion...
/root for the home team

simargl

#296 Post by simargl »

Next version will have xorg-server 1.14 and mesa 9.1.1, who knows perhaps radeon misteriously
start to work better. In any case target audience for this distribution should be able to fix errors like
this - for example you did it . :P

New function is added to spkg package manager for converting all PKGBUILDs from current folder to
def scripts supporting Arch core,community,extra repositories Chakra Linux and many more unofficial
PKGBUILD repositories.

Added License and Author information to all my scripts in https://bitbucket.org
https://bitbucket.org/simargl/alphaos/c ... e35889b657

They are all distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Next version is planned for 19 April, without many changes - main is new ffmpeg. After that planned additions
to repository include : vlc, openshot and gmediafinder.

Mobeus

#297 Post by Mobeus »

simargl wrote: In any case target audience for this distribution should be able to fix errors like
this - for example you did it .
Yes I did, after you put the fix right under my nose :lol: I did learn something though didn't I. And had some fun doing it too. Is that what they mean by “the Arch way
/root for the home team

smil99

#298 Post by smil99 »

simargl wrote:
Next version is planned for 19 April
Hi simargl! Eagerly expecting the next version. :)
However, I have never had success with audio through hdmi on my TV set using alphaOS. hdmi video is ok though, but its pretty useless without audio. Might be some kernel modules not incorporated in AlphaOS. Would love to see that in the next version.

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

simargl

#299 Post by simargl »

New packages:

bzr-2.5.1-2.spkg
Bazaar is a version control system that helps you track project history over time and to
collaborate easily with others. Whether you're a single developer, a co-located team or a
community of developers scattered across the world, Bazaar scales and adapts to meet your
needs. Part of the GNU Project, Bazaar is free software sponsored by Canonical.

git-1.8.2.1-1.spkg
Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle
everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency.

p7zip-9.20.1-6.spkg
7-Zip operates with the 7z archive format

unrar-4.2.4-1.spkg
extract RAR files under Linux system

smil99, maybe it is kernel 3.8 related issue https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=161319.

simargl

#300 Post by simargl »

Spkg package manager - check for updates function...
Attachments
alphaos-20130418084314.png
(89.86 KiB) Downloaded 422 times

gnomic

X not working again

#301 Post by gnomic »

Hi, just tried AlphaOS on another laptop, this time with GeForce Go 6150 - alas same result more or less as with radeon cards - X Window totally messed up and unusable and no escape outside power cycle. Perhaps a wee look into this? Laptop is a CPQ V6000Turion model, but I guess the video card is the crucial factor. Would still like to use AlphaOS but it seems very hard. I think my only success has been with intel video so far. Maybe at least a boot option for vesa?

simargl

Re: X not working again

#302 Post by simargl »

Boot option pfix=ram is now fixed, for working in console mode.

Code: Select all

-[ "$PNOX" = "yes" ] && touch /pup_new/tmp/bootcnt.txt
+[ "$PNOX" = "yes" ] && sed -i 's|X_AUTOLOGIN="yes"|X_AUTOLOGIN="no"|g' /pup_new/etc/rc.conf
Maybe at least a boot option for vesa?
I don't know how to force vesa when xorg.conf is almost empty, and udev should be loading correct driver and setting resolution automatically.
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
Option "AutoEnableDevices" "true"
EndSection
xorg.conf must have these lines or keyboard and mouse will not work, so not allow nvidia-xconfig or other programs to overwrite that file.

simargl

#303 Post by simargl »

Released version 5.0

ChangeLog

- upgraded packages:
xorg-server (1.14.0)
mesa (9.1.1)
libdrm (2.4.43)
xf86-video-intel (2.21.6)
xf86-input-synaptics (1.7.0)
xf86-input-mouse (1.9.0)
xf86-input-keyboard (1.7.0)
gparted (0.15.0)
python (2.7.4)
alsa-utils (1.0.27)
alsa-lib (1.0.27)
curl (7.30.0)

- Added: gsimplecal, lightweight calendar application used with tint2 panel

- ffmpeg supports wider range of multimedia formats

- spacefm patched to extract spkg package on click (like other archives)

- tint2 (crunchbang theme) shows battery info

- Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key combination restarts xorg-server

- fixed problems with /mnt/home if paka script is used in PUPMODE 5

- musl is removed from development module, but is available in repository

- fixed boot parameter pfix=nox

- Package manager:
new column "Version" in list of available packages
improved search entry
added buttons for visiting home page and cleaning packages cache
new package icon
improved arch2def and added arch2def_local function

Scooby

#304 Post by Scooby »

Tried version 5, looks good.

Same problem with terminal though, still i havent found a solution.

Marv

#305 Post by Marv »

Intel man here. Up in 5.0 and posting from the fujitsu 1.6GHz pentium M laptop. Intel pro 2200 wireless, intel 855GMA video, ALPS touchpad, Grub4Dos frugal install to IDE CF card. Run both as a fresh install and as an upgrade of my 4.0 save file. CPU at idle is 2% at the lowest conservative governor speed. Pretty good for this old gal. Don't anticipate any problems with the core 2 duo fujitsu other than keeping the touchpad configs straight.

Only glitches self imposed. If you change themes, have the theme in the save file, don't leave it behind in the older SFS!!! and don't try to be too cute with the 50-Synaptics.conf substitution in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. After blowing a LOT of time on seemingly logical changes gave up nicety and just threw the xorg.conf from lina at it. Works. synclient and flsynclient both work.

Glad to see the additional capabilities in spacefm. More tidy than plugins and works well. I still use the standalone plugins to mount ext and iso filesystems without udevil or udisks, extract and make SFSs, and to make and extract gzip files . 2 panels vertically with side panel in each works for me and I'm not at all sorry to be gvfs free.
tint2 (crunchbang theme) shows battery info
The default theme also will, just copy the battery section from the crunchbang config file to the default config file, just before the clock section and add B to the panel items line.

Simple radio is a startlingly fast connection to stream. Give the dial a twirl.

A confession. I brought pacman along from 4.0. I know, I know...

Edited for spelling and signature:
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.