Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Aug 2014, 22:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
alphaOS [closed]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 21 of 47 [697 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
gnomic

PostPosted: Thu 18 Apr 2013, 22:43    Post subject: X not working again  

Hi, just tried AlphaOS on another laptop, this time with GeForce Go 6150 - alas same result more or less as with radeon cards - X Window totally messed up and unusable and no escape outside power cycle. Perhaps a wee look into this? Laptop is a CPQ V6000Turion model, but I guess the video card is the crucial factor. Would still like to use AlphaOS but it seems very hard. I think my only success has been with intel video so far. Maybe at least a boot option for vesa?
simargl

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2013, 01:58    Post subject: Re: X not working again  

Boot option pfix=ram is now fixed, for working in console mode.
Code:
-[ "$PNOX" = "yes" ] && touch /pup_new/tmp/bootcnt.txt
+[ "$PNOX" = "yes" ] && sed -i 's|X_AUTOLOGIN="yes"|X_AUTOLOGIN="no"|g' /pup_new/etc/rc.conf

Quote:
Maybe at least a boot option for vesa?

I don't know how to force vesa when xorg.conf is almost empty, and udev should be loading correct driver and setting resolution automatically.

Quote:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
Option "AutoEnableDevices" "true"
EndSection

xorg.conf must have these lines or keyboard and mouse will not work, so not allow nvidia-xconfig or other programs to overwrite that file.
simargl

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2013, 03:44    Post subject:  

Released version 5.0

ChangeLog

- upgraded packages:
xorg-server (1.14.0)
mesa (9.1.1)
libdrm (2.4.43)
xf86-video-intel (2.21.6)
xf86-input-synaptics (1.7.0)
xf86-input-mouse (1.9.0)
xf86-input-keyboard (1.7.0)
gparted (0.15.0)
python (2.7.4)
alsa-utils (1.0.27)
alsa-lib (1.0.27)
curl (7.30.0)

- Added: gsimplecal, lightweight calendar application used with tint2 panel

- ffmpeg supports wider range of multimedia formats

- spacefm patched to extract spkg package on click (like other archives)

- tint2 (crunchbang theme) shows battery info

- Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key combination restarts xorg-server

- fixed problems with /mnt/home if paka script is used in PUPMODE 5

- musl is removed from development module, but is available in repository

- fixed boot parameter pfix=nox

- Package manager:
new column "Version" in list of available packages
improved search entry
added buttons for visiting home page and cleaning packages cache
new package icon
improved arch2def and added arch2def_local function
Scooby

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2013, 12:30    Post subject:  

Tried version 5, looks good.

Same problem with terminal though, still i havent found a solution.
Marv

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2013, 21:53    Post subject:  

Intel man here. Up in 5.0 and posting from the fujitsu 1.6GHz pentium M laptop. Intel pro 2200 wireless, intel 855GMA video, ALPS touchpad, Grub4Dos frugal install to IDE CF card. Run both as a fresh install and as an upgrade of my 4.0 save file. CPU at idle is 2% at the lowest conservative governor speed. Pretty good for this old gal. Don't anticipate any problems with the core 2 duo fujitsu other than keeping the touchpad configs straight.

Only glitches self imposed. If you change themes, have the theme in the save file, don't leave it behind in the older SFS!!! and don't try to be too cute with the 50-Synaptics.conf substitution in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. After blowing a LOT of time on seemingly logical changes gave up nicety and just threw the xorg.conf from lina at it. Works. synclient and flsynclient both work.

Glad to see the additional capabilities in spacefm. More tidy than plugins and works well. I still use the standalone plugins to mount ext and iso filesystems without udevil or udisks, extract and make SFSs, and to make and extract gzip files . 2 panels vertically with side panel in each works for me and I'm not at all sorry to be gvfs free.

Quote:
tint2 (crunchbang theme) shows battery info
The default theme also will, just copy the battery section from the crunchbang config file to the default config file, just before the clock section and add B to the panel items line.

Simple radio is a startlingly fast connection to stream. Give the dial a twirl.

A confession. I brought pacman along from 4.0. I know, I know...

Edited for spelling and signature:

ethan42411

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr 2013, 02:10    Post subject:  

simargl wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean, is there some problem with displaying characters in your language. For that I think you need to find proper fonts.

Sorry,my English is so terrible...
I mean I found chinese display wrong is caused by not mount by UTF-8. When I use USB flash drive it will have wrong displaying characters , but if it mount by UTF-8 , it will be correct.
So, I need to setting system can automount driver by UTF-8.

Thank you.
mike delaw

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr 2013, 05:20    Post subject: Re: help  

Arefacti wrote:

Hello,
seems to me great !
but, unfortunately I don't know how I could install it (gmediafinder seems better).
could you help me please ?

Neither do I. Maybe some resident expert is willing to help you ...
Familyman

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr 2013, 05:28    Post subject: Hooray! Eee PC 2G Surf streams video effortlessly in AlphaOS  

I have been looking for a distro that would work from a live USB with the original netbook so that I could watch movies online on my HDTV.

With Firefox ESR I am finally able to do this (my Portable Firefox 20.0.1 on the Windows XP tiny version installed on my Eee PC 2G Surf struggles to cope with YouTube) after hoping that the latest browser versions would be able to accomplish this. Very Happy

I have not been able to achieve a listing of the version of apps installed by running the command: spkg -ver

Is there a particular directory from which I should run terminal to achieve this?

And how does one access the Arch repository on AlphaOS 5?

~Familyman~
meowcats

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr 2013, 12:15    Post subject: Re: Hooray! Eee PC 2G Surf streams video effortlessly in AlphaOS  

Familyman wrote:

from what I have come to understand, you cannot 'access' the arch repo's. You can download individual pkgbuilds and use the spkg script to build them, but this has no dependency tracking.

It seems the easiest way would be to simply build pacman for your self?

it is sad, because this distro is great, but hardly any useful packages.
simargl

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2013, 01:40    Post subject: Re: Hooray! Eee PC 2G Surf streams video effortlessly in AlphaOS  

Bugfix version 5.0.0421

My patch for extracting spkg packages broke "compress archive" functionality in spacefm (something else was needed to change, but I didn't test properly before release) So, I removed that patch and added plugins for extracting spkg package and sfs module in this bugfix release (alphaOS_5.0-20130421.iso).

https://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/files/

Familyman wrote:
I have not been able to achieve a listing of the version of apps installed by running the command: spkg -ver

Is there a particular directory from which I should run terminal to achieve this?

You can run spkg -v command from directory /var/lib/spkg/installed or any other with same structure - folder/def (folder must be named as variable 'name' in def)

For using pacman directly see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85346
simargl

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2013, 05:09    Post subject:  

EasyTAG is a utility for viewing and editing tags for MP3, MP2, MP4/AAC, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, MusePack, Monkey's Audio and WavPack files. Its simple and nice GTK+ interface makes tagging easier under Linux or Windows.

The program depends on GTK+ 2.24, but there is an experimental GTK+ 3.0 interface.

That experimental gtk3 version (from git) is added to the repository Wink

First post updated with: What is different compared to standard Puppy?
Familyman

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2013, 10:34    Post subject:  

Dear meowcats and simargl,

Thanks for the quick responses pointing me in the direction!

I have good news to report that I have successfully used the paka command and also been able to regain 100% volume setting for speaker in my alsa upon reboot.

Obviously persistence has paid off!

While I liked reading about the differences, here is my take on what is similar with this OS as compared to my beloved PuppyLinux 4.31:

- the small footprint
- the ability to convert and add packages (in Puppy one could convert .pet to .sfs)
- the continued friendly community support on the Murga Linux Puppy forum

I believe this distro has now come out of the alpha to qualify as a 'beta' and with the incorporation of additional useful native spkg packages (vlc, Skype, Pidgin) it should become another dependable companion for our PCs.

~Familyman~
ndrancs

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2013, 19:25    Post subject:  out of topic  

Familyman wrote:

I believe this distro has now come out of the alpha to qualify as a 'beta' and with the incorporation of additional useful native spkg packages (vlc, Skype, Pidgin) it should become another dependable companion for our PCs.

~Familyman~

I think this distro alphaos simrgl named because of the OS is fast, light, like lightning.
not because it is still alpha stage.
cmiiw. Smile
simargl

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 01:33    Post subject:    

Openshot 1.4.3 added to the repository (install it with package manager or type: makesfs openshot)

OpenShot Video Editor is a free, open-source video editor for Linux licensed under the GPL version 3.0.

OpenShot can take your videos, photos, and music files and help you create the film you have always dreamed of. Easily add sub-titles, transitions, and effects, and then export your film to DVD, YouTube, Vimeo, Xbox 360, and many other common formats.

Edit:
I planned to add vlc and gmediafinder but will not do that: no need for vlc when there is smplayer and gmediafinder has dependency on pywebkit and that obviously needs libwebkit which is PITA to compile

Last edited by simargl on Mon 22 Apr 2013, 02:56; edited 1 time in total
simargl

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 02:32    Post subject: Re: out of topic  

ndrancs wrote:
Familyman wrote:

~Familyman~

I think this distro alphaos simrgl named because of the OS is fast, light, like lightning.
not because it is still alpha stage.
cmiiw. Smile

Yes plan was to name it lightningOS, but distro with that name already exists http://lightningos.weebly.com/
here alpha is for the first letter of the Greek alphabet - symbolize beginning, back to basics, as it is first Puppy like system
with new package manager. Also it's good way to scare noobs who will think "name says it all, I'll stay with my ubuntu",
everyone should understand that goal is quality over popularity.
Page 21 of 47 [697 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: