Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 18:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
alphaOS [closed]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 29 of 47 [697 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
PFan

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2013, 15:54    Post subject:  

This is a beautiful Distro! However I am also having a problem with wireless internet connection. I have an old Dell D810 with Intel Pro Wireless 2200/2900, and pwireless doesn't see it at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Marv

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2013, 16:27    Post subject: ipw2200 wireless  

PFan wrote:
This is a beautiful Distro! However I am also having a problem with wireless internet connection. I have an old Dell D810 with Intel Pro Wireless 2200/2900, and pwireless doesn't see it at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You could try what is suggested here http://alphaos.tuxfamily.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11 Looks like we're batting .500 on it to date. My laptop on which it did work uses intel ipw2200 wireless for what it's worth. Let us know if it helps.

yr1945

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2013, 17:51    Post subject:  

initially no networks were visable... then i clicked the roam button and next the refresh button and all wireless routers in my neighborhood magically appeared, including mine... then i was able to connect...

however, with ArchPup i could use pacman, with Alphaos7... the pacman commands in "help" don't seem to work... e.g., pacman -Sy will not download the packages... therefore, the command to download, let's say, firefox, does not work either ??

although i could successfully use pacman in ArchPup... i guess this OS is beyond my knowledge level...
Mc01

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2013, 18:26    Post subject: Broadcom wifi  

Hi guys,

I got also problem with wifi. During every launch of Pwireless2 i got message that my wifi card cannot be detected. Iwconfig also shows no interfaces.

My card is Broadcom BCM4313. I'm wondering if desired driver brcmsmac is integrated into kernel.

Cheers
PFan

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2013, 20:35    Post subject:  

I got online! Sorry, I just love it when stuff works. I tried restarting the wpa_supplicant using the button in the debug tab of pwireless, but it didn't seem to do anything. Then I tried the Refresh and Roam buttons on the Networks tab. It showed my network, but wouldn't connect until I repeated the refresh-roam button process. Then it showed it was connected to my network, but had no IP address. After about a minute, it showed an IP address, and I was able to get online. Seems like there ought to be a easier way, but I'm just glad its working. Thank you for the suggestions.
rameshiyer

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2013, 21:59    Post subject: Mobile Partner
Subject description: No connection.

My mobile partner for 2G/3G is not connecting. Hence no internet. Something missing in the OS. However, signal is showing and also I can send out SMS. Please note that in AlphaOs 6, the mobile partner was able to connect !. Now Alph 7, I am unable to connect. Very strange behavior. Please help me.
smil99

PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2013, 21:57    Post subject:  

Hi simargl,
alphaOS 7 is working quite well here.
Regarding printing, installing cups and dependents using pacman doesn't help. Cant access localhost:631 Sad
What has happened to rcrsn51's excellent cups solutions in V6? Badly needed in V7 too Wink
Cheers.

simargl

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 02:47    Post subject:  

Hi,
/etc/init.d/cups service file is included in the iso, but it will not start on boot unless you add cups in DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf after installing cups package. You can test with /etc/init.d/cups start and then check if printing works without rebooting. rcrsn51's package in version 6 was made for cups 1.4.8, I don't know will that work with newer version, probably not.
Regards

yr1945 wrote:
although i could successfully use pacman in ArchPup... i guess this OS is beyond my knowledge level...

If you're sure in that, I can only agree Razz
Scooby

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 04:21    Post subject:  

report on latest ArchPup(AlphaOS now I guess Rolling Eyes )

Strange problem with terminal gone! I'm getting prompt and all

Mouse works with touchpad although gestures like two-finger scroll doesnt
But could easily be fixed with carolinas xorg.conf or the package from aur that handles this.
Got to install the package preventing unintentional touches of the touchpad. Havoc when typing for me.

PWireless showing no access points at start but after a

Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up

in terminal and a refresh in pwireless list was populated with possible internet connections. Connected to internet OK

Pacman working great installed firefox no problem.

small stuff like setting keyboard with setxkbmap
My time and date is not correct but I know sim has adressed these things before so I will
go back and find the fix

I think I will switch back to simargls old conky in the left corner. I loved that one
I miss thunar too but it had some problems? Maybe I should try to get used to spacefm?

Have not tested the fix for screen tearing but it should work

Sim a question?

Is there a big difference between Arhpup 12.2.2 and the new AlphaOS?

Is packer included in devx.sfs?

I am very happy with this

Last edited by Scooby on Thu 30 May 2013, 13:32; edited 1 time in total
simargl

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 05:29    Post subject:  

Scooby wrote:
Is there a big difference between Arhpup 12.2.2 and the new AlphaOS?

Is packer included in devx.sfs?

Packer is included, also it's patched to run update-ca-certificates if needed. Main differences: obviously this one is made from newer Arch packages, it has notifications for radio, music players and custom spacefm mount script, compiled packages are better compatible with pacman (covering things like provides, conflicts and replaces in pkgbuild), there are some conky and tint2 themes for easy switching. Thunar was replaced because pup-volume-monitor used before did not have ability to mount usb devices, now that works without problems with spacefm, also this file manager offers much more customization options.

Until making alphaos 7, I had Arhpup 13.2.2 as my backup system, now I removed it. alphaOS based on Arch is new backup system, main is also alphaOS but one that was compiled from scratch with spkg package manager, it has all applications I need.

Regards.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 08:58    Post subject:  

simargl wrote:
rcrsn51's package in version 6 was made for cups 1.4.8, I don't know will that work with newer version, probably not.

Once alphaOS switched to an all-arch, all-pacman system, my print-scan package immediately became irrelevant.
yr1945

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 09:26    Post subject:  

I haven't given up yet... perhaps someone could help me with pacman ??

When I use the command pacman -Sy it appears that something is being downloaded, but it only takes one second to download...

Next, when I use the command pacman -Sf firefox... it says invalid option.

Just as a comparison, the old ArchPup, would spend 30 seconds downloading core packages with the command pacman -Syu and then I could download firefox with the command pacman -Sf firefox.

What am I doing wrong, now, with the new AlphaOS ??

Thanks in advance for you support.
simargl

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 09:50    Post subject:  

pacman -Sf is no more valid option with new pacman, it needs to be pacman -S -f, but you should not use that command: simple pacman -S firefox is enough, or makesfs firefox maybe even better to save some disk space. Could you post whole output after pacman -Syu ?
john3voltas

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 10:02    Post subject:  

simargl, is it possible to get an older release of alphaOS or even archpup?
I would like to see how they handle cpu temperature and fan speed.
Cheers
john3voltas

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 10:20    Post subject:  

I'm trying alphaOS 7.0 on my wife's netbook.
Can't make wifi module to load.
modprobe brcmsmac fails to load the module. Did you include it when you compiled the kernel?
It says here that brcm80211 is included in the kernel.
Also, the keyboard has numlock enabled by default which is a bummer. You think you are typing letters and when you look at the screen it is also filled with numbers.
Page 29 of 47 [697 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: