alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bark_bark_bark

#436 Post by bark_bark_bark »

@john3voltas, simargl compiles the kernel himself and sadly never compiles the module. Although it is possible to switch AlphaOS's kernel with the kernel from Slacko or Precise.

Scooby

#437 Post by Scooby »

Is there an easy way to combine two sfs into one?

Is it as easy as unsquash, merge and resquash?

Any gotchas?

Marv

combining sfs

#438 Post by Marv »

Scooby wrote:Is there an easy way to combine two sfs into one?

Is it as easy as unsquash, merge and resquash?

Any gotchas?
I have combined the sfs from 6.0 and 7.0 exactly that way with no problems. I usually have them both unsquashed anyway to add or subtract from them and then just copy them sequentially into a merged directory and squash it. Carolina, which I use often has a little more flexible GUI copy, but alphaOS has better compression parameters, good for roughly 10% more squash. I have modded my linas with them also see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=765 . No real caveats other than the usual EXT FS ONLY! and backup backup backup. Once a version is 'stable', having them merged makes it easier for me to keep track of what I add etc. There is also a clever rightclick in the 7.0 lina to do the combination but I haven't tried it out. Merging and squashing works ok for me and I can see what I'm doing.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mama21mama

#439 Post by mama21mama »

I had a hard time putting a code name?

mention here the new distro.

https://joindiaspora.com/posts/2655261

good luck with your project. :shock:

yr1945

#440 Post by yr1945 »

Simargl... Thank You. I am making good progress in understanding and using AlphaOS 7. A while back, I figured out how to log onto my wireless router. And, now, thanks to your feedback, I can use pacman. I have successfully downloaded firefox and a few other apps that I needed.

You asked me to post the output when I used the command pacman -Syu The following is the current output:
[root@alphaos ~]# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
alphaos is up to date
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
there is nothing to do
[root@alphaos ~]#

Suggestion: You need to change the pacman help manual in alphaOS 7 to state that the command for downloading packages is pacman -S firefox (as an example)... not pacman -Sf firefox as it currently states.

Anyway, Thanks Again.

yr1945

#441 Post by yr1945 »

I am now trying to use sleep/suspend mode. I made a pupshutdown & acpitool sfs. My laptop sleeps, but will not wakeup. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

yr1945

#442 Post by yr1945 »

Sorry, another question: When I open my miscellaneous file... the icons have pictures of "locks". Why? Can I get rid of these and just have the regular icons? I don't like locked folders.

By the way, even with the pictures of locks, the files still open, but you cannot copy all of the contents of a particular folder to another folder. However, some of the contents do get put in the other folder?

Again, Thank You...

pinguino

Yaourt

#443 Post by pinguino »

hi, has anyone get this error when using yaourt?

Code: Select all

curl error: Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?)
I have loaded devel sfs and added archlinuxfr repo to pacman.conf, maybe missing something?

Regards,
pinguino

simargl

Re: Yaourt

#444 Post by simargl »

pinguino wrote:hi, has anyone get this error when using yaourt?
curl error: Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?)
just type packer in terminal, I patched it to update certificates if needed, later you can use yaourt or packer...

simargl

#445 Post by simargl »

yr1945 wrote:When I open my miscellaneous file... the icons have pictures of "locks". Why? Can I get rid of these and just have the regular icons? I don't like locked folders.

By the way, even with the pictures of locks, the files still open, but you cannot copy all of the contents of a particular folder to another folder. However, some of the contents do get put in the other folder?...
Sorry I can't understand this, is problem in image thumbnails that are not refreshing or in spacefm not displaying read only folder. For missing emblems in read-only folders, and other things that need fixing I made bug reports in spacefm page https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/issues

yr1945

#446 Post by yr1945 »

My folder with various sfs files show locked icons... none of the other sub-folders in my main folder have locked icons ? Not sure why this folder's icons show the "lock" ?

simargl

#447 Post by simargl »

yr1945, that is not lock - it's just default icon for sfs files, I replaced older 48 pixel with this better looking and larger icon, guess you don't like it :D Cheers

yr1945

#448 Post by yr1945 »

Simargl, see another screen snapshot. The note says "fatal... galculator not found". That's the reason I thought they were locked. They they will not load ? Any other Puppy OS will load them.

Anyway, Thank You for your reply. I will just download a couple more apps that I need via pacman.

I believe that you have an excellent OS here... Keep up the good work !!

mcewanw

#449 Post by mcewanw »

I've never used Arch but just installed your alphaOS 7.0 frugal. Booted fine on my old Fujitsu Siemens laptop (Pentium M 1.6 GHz CPU with 1MB Ram), which I do most of my Puppy development work on. Interesting distribution. Good luck with this. It's an interesting distribution and I hope it gets well supported.

mcewanw

Note: Posted this message also in alphaOS forum http://alphaos.tuxfamily.org/forum on this occasion since one thread here on murga forum may not be enough longterm for a distribution that is quite a bit different from any usual Puppy derivative. For that reason, in future I'm more likely to post on the alphaOS forum when comment specific to that version.
github mcewanw

Andovai

#450 Post by Andovai »

Hello
mpd does not work...
error while loading shared libraries:libsystemd-daemon.so.0

http://www.musicpd.org/

Please

Thanks..

Sorry bad english

simargl

#451 Post by simargl »

hi Andovai,
Download sytemd package from Arch page https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/systemd/, then click to extract and copy missing library to /usr/lib. This Os does not have full systemd package, just udev and two more libraries from original Arch package, but what actually is udev, is named as systemd to not break pacman compatibility.

Andovai

#452 Post by Andovai »

:D

thanks...

Ciao

simargl

#453 Post by simargl »

PekWM like openbox also supports dynamic menus, so I got idea to patch openbox-menu - program that generates pipe menus for openbox, and adjust it to work with pekwm. Also it compiles with Gtk3. You can see result on screenshots bellow with radiance pekwm theme :)

musher0

#454 Post by musher0 »

Hi. simargl.

Euh... the example in your picture is so small that I cannot see what your dynamic menu does. Sorry...

It will be interesting to know what functions you created dynamic menus for?

Also, this is just my opinion, but not all dynamic menus are useful. The one for time and date is quite useful, but already exists. Some for "fortune" or "song title" add nothing more than the usual program, they just "weigh down" the menu. (Again, this is just my opinion.)

Thanks in advance for your reply, and bye for now.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

simargl

#455 Post by simargl »

musher0 wrote:Hi. simargl.

Euh... the example in your picture is so small that I cannot see what your dynamic menu does. Sorry...
Click for larger image 1280x1024
It will be interesting to know what functions you created dynamic menus for?
Every time you right click to start pekwm menu, this scans through list of applications and shows them without need to type fixmenus inside terminal like currently in Puppy JWM. Program is modified to compile with gtk3, I'm using gtk 3.9.0, that ensures it will not become obsolete any time soon.

------------
I will add source code, so you can compile and test if you want to:
Requires:
gtk3 (or gtk2)
menu-cache
lxmenu-data

1) extract source archive and type: make
2) copy pekwm-menu to /usr/bin
3) Add this to /root/.pekwm/menu
Entry = "Dynamic" { Actions = "Dynamic pekwm-menu /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu" }
Attachments
pekwm-menu-0.1.tar.gz
(14.74 KiB) Downloaded 389 times