alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Scooby

#556 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote: Good news is that eudev was not problematic after all, and wireless connection issues many had were pwireless fault.
Tried frisbee real quick but didnt work for me.

Still wlan interface is not recognized at all.

Is this a eudev problem or did you remove some firmware from the AlphaOS 7 version

Marv

8.0 wireless using frisbee

#557 Post by Marv »

If wireless is intel iwlwifi, to get wlan0, you have to modprobe iwldvm and mac80211. I place them in the modules line in /etc/rc.conf. That said, I downloaded the frisbee from sourceforge and had a quick go (pristine frugal install of 8.0 on iwlwifi laptop). Not quite there yet for me. Sees wlan0, no networks. restarting dhcpd and refreshing gets me list of networks. Select my network and click on connect and they disappear. No time to look at it now but I think it's the direction to go.

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Scooby

Re: 8.0 wireless using frisbee

#558 Post by Scooby »

Marv wrote:If wireless is intel iwlwifi, to get wlan0, you have to modprobe iwldvm and mac80211. I place them in the modules line in /etc/rc.conf.
I love you man, This was exactly what was needed.

I have the deepest respect for your knowledge and your willingness to share.

Why wasnt this needed in AlphaOS 7?

Pwireless2 is working perfectly on my system now.

Time to migrate to AlphaOS 8 :D

Scooby

#559 Post by Scooby »

I cannot get clock to work.

it seems

Code: Select all

rdate -s tick.greyware.com
from /root/.start doesnt get executed

when I run it in terminal I get message

rdate: timeout connecting to time server

I tried ntpdate also to no success

I did the

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Paris /etc/localtime

Does clock work perfectly for everybody else?

Marv

rdate

#560 Post by Marv »

Scooby wrote:I cannot get clock to work.

it seems

I tried ntpdate also to no success

I did the

Does clock work perfectly for everybody else?
That rdate line runs ok in terminal and on restart of x for me. I also have it run when the laptop wakes from suspend. However, on my systems, the wireless is just barely up by the end of .start, even with rdate at the end of .start and a sleep 7s line preceding it. If it runs ok in terminal, it's a timing thing and you can delay longer before running it. If it won't run in terminal when you know you are connected, I don't know. I assume you have the following line at the beginning of /root/.start

/etc/init.d/hwclock start &
Edited: I didn't see originally that you had tried it in terminal. Another thought. Check resolv.conf in /etc. My ISP serves up a REALLLY slow primary DNS server and that causes wget etc to time out while the browser still works. resolv.conf.head in /etc will add its contents to resolv.conf at boot and fix this. The contents of my /etc/resolv.conf.head for example is

nameserver 4.2.2.2
nameserver 4.2.2.5
Good luck,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

simargl

#561 Post by simargl »

smil99 wrote:... frisbee handles wired connections too so you can test that one.
I removed service file called network from /etc/init.d used to start eth0 on boot, frisbee will do that task from now on. It works OK, but does make startup a couple of seconds slower...
Scooby wrote:Is this a eudev problem or did you remove some firmware from the AlphaOS 7 version
linux-firmware package is the same as in AlphaOS 7 (and many versions before)

it seems

I confirm it works here, so that could have been some temporary problem with their server.

smil99

Printing package for alphaOS V.8

#562 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl et al,
I have been tweaking rcrsn51's cups 1.4.8 printing package made a while back for alphaOS v6 and it seems to work in v8 too! I am able to print/scan on both wired and wireless printer connections using this package. Thanks rcrsn51 :D.
Here is the link if you want to try it:
print_scan_alphaOS-8.0.tar.gz
Extract it and when in the extracted folder, open a terminal and type:
sh install.sh
to install.
Note:
(1)This package contains ppet for easy installation of .pet printer software.
(2) I had to delete the original /etc/init.d/cups and in its place, make a link to /usr/bin/cupsd for localhost:631 to work.
(3) install.sh gives an error about a directory not available but it works just fine.
A better way to make it work well is welcome :wink: .

Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

Scooby

#563 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote: linux-firmware package is the same as in AlphaOS 7 (and many versions before)
Works now following Marvs advice

simargl wrote:

I confirm it works here, so that could have been some temporary problem with their server.

I've researched the problem and it is suggested that it is a firewall problem
with port 37 blocked. Since I am mooching on a public wifi here (not at home)
maybe their firewall refuses the reply?

I saw ubuntu had a version of rdate with -o option for changing port
maybe I can compile it for alpha os? Can you install .deb in ALphaOS?

*edit* found a way to unpack

ar xv rdate_1.2-4build1_i386.deb 
after fix of some shared library error

i tried

/root/tmp/usr/bin/rdate -o 80 tick.greyware.com
rdate: Could not read data: Connection reset by peer
but got another error code. Any suggestions?

**edit**
on further thought maybe remote server doesnt want to be queried on port 80
So maybe this is not a good approach

any ideas how to sync time if port 37 blocked by net provider?

Scooby

#564 Post by Scooby »

I want wlan0 to be UP when I start AlphaOS 8.

I know I can do it with

ifconfig wlan0 up.
But were to put it?

Maybe there is another way? Perhaps by starting wpa_supplicant
somewhere in the boot-process?

I tried it in /root/.start -- that worked but wanted same behaviour as in
AlphaOS7 were wireless was connected automagically at startup.

Maybe that will be easier with frisbee, I think there was a checkbox for
automatic connection?

During boot there is a message

Starting wireless daemon...... [ok]

what does it do?

simargl

#565 Post by simargl »

Scooby wrote:During boot there is a message

Starting wireless daemon...... [ok]

what does it do?
It runs this command: /etc/init.d/Pwireless2 start

DAEMONS variable in /etc/rc.conf contains list of files from /etc/init.d that will be executed during boot, every of those service files has their description and that message is shown during boot. Now /etc/init.d/Pwireless2 and /etc/init.d/network are removed, instead of them there is /etc/init.d/frisbee. I will attach new rc.sysinit and rc.conf that is using frisbee to start both wired and wireless network, so you can test. Put rc.sysinit to /etc/rc.d, and rc.conf to /etc, first get frisbee source from http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/files/sources/.

If there is some error message related to frisbee it should appear in /tmp/bootsysinit.log
Attachments
rc.test.tar.gz
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

Marv

#566 Post by Marv »

Posting from 8.0 using wired connection. Frisbee installed per post above handles eth0 just fine. Also detects iwlwifi networks correctly and various edit and reset functions and notifications all work correctly. I still have the dhcpcd/kernel incompatibility with my ipv4 router. bootsysinit.log shows:

LOAD KERNEL MODULES
LOAD SWAP
MISC. SYSTEM SETUP
USER SELECTED MODULES
Loading module iwldvm 
Loading module mac80211 
SETUP SERVICES
up: error fetching interface information: Device not found
Starting system message bus:  /usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen --ensure ; /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'smsc47b397': No such device
dhcpcd[958]: version 5.6.8 starting
<30>Jul 21 18:09:47 dhcpcd[958]: version 5.6.8 startingdhcpcd[958]: wlan0: configured as a router, not a host
<28>Jul 21 18:09:47 dhcpcd[958]: wlan0: configured as a router, not a hostdhcpcd[958]: no interfaces have a carrier
<28>Jul 21 18:09:48 dhcpcd[958]: no interfaces have a carrierdhcpcd[958]: forked to background, child pid 987
<30>Jul 21 18:09:48 dhcpcd[958]: forked to background, child pid 987<30>Jul 21 18:09:48 dhcpcd[987]: wlan0: waiting for carrier<86>Jul 21 18:09:48 login: pam_unix(login:session): session opened for user root by LOGIN(uid=0)<85>Jul 21 18:09:48 login: ROOT LOGIN ON tty1<30>Jul 21 18:09:51 dhcpcd[987]: wlan0: carrier acquired<28>Jul 21 18:09:51 dhcpcd[987]: wlan0: configured as a router, not a host<30>Jul 21 18:09:51 dhcpcd[987]: wlan0: broadcasting for a lease<30>Jul 21 20:14:12 dhcpcd[1564]: sending signal 1 to pid 987<30>Jul 22 17:14:12 dhcpcd[987]: received SIGHUP, releasing<30>Jul 22 17:14:12 dhcpcd[987]: wlan0: removing interface<30>Jul 21 20:14:12 dhcpcd[1564]: waiting for pid 987 to exit<30>Jul 21 20:14:12 dhcpcd[1576]: version 5.6.8 starting<28>Jul 21 20:14:12 dhcpcd[1576]: wlan0: configured as a router, not a host<28>Jul 21 20:14:12 dhcpcd[1576]: no interfaces have a carrier<30>Jul 21 20:14:12 dhcpcd[1576]: forked to background, child pid 1603<30>Jul 21 20:14:12 dhcpcd[1603]: wlan0: waiting for carrier<30>Jul 21 20:14:18 dhcpcd[1603]: wlan0: carrier acquired<28>Jul 21 20:14:18 dhcpcd[1603]: wlan0: configured as a router, not a host<30>Jul 21 20:14:18 dhcpcd[1603]: wlan0: broadcasting for a lease
Exactly the same behavior as seen under 8.0 with patched p2wireless. Same router works with all other pups on this laptop.

All in all, seems like real progress though. Thanks smil99 and simargl.

Scooby

#567 Post by Scooby »

I also tried frisbee seems to work great with wifi, reconnects at startup with no interference needed from user. Although it is as sim said a little slower at boot.

Question.

Why isnt frisbe started from daemons in /etc/rc.conf?
and where is it started from instead?

simargl

#568 Post by simargl »

It's started from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, see this part

echo -n "Starting frisbee network manager..." >/dev/console
/etc/init.d/frisbee start
status_func 0
But, if you comment those 3 lines and add frisbee to DAEMONS in /etc/rc.conf, to start that one as all other service/daemon scripts, it will not work. I've got this error in /tmp/bootsysinit.log.

/usr/share/frisbee/func: line 312: `add-profile': not a valid identifier
It's not a problem to start it directly since everyone will need Internet connection program.

Scooby

#569 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote: It's not a problem ......
Yepp no problem for me except for my curiosity, that's all.

I really start to get the system in order now.

Just a little problem with time there. A little boring to set it manually
each time. Any suggestions are wellcome.

And maybe get hybrid graphics working......

Scooby

#570 Post by Scooby »

I think I found a solution that works for me?

date -s "$(wget -S  "http://www.google.com/" 2>&1 | grep -E '^[[:space:]]*[dD]ate:' | sed 's/^[[:space:]]*[dD]ate:[[:space:]]*//' | head -1l | awk '{print $1, $3, $2,  $5 ,"GMT", $4 }' | sed 's/,//')"
It returns GMT time and with your timezone set with for instance

date -s command seems to calculate the right time for you :shock:

I put the command in .start.

The above seems to work with several different sites. I for one severely dislike
google so I use a local one.

Dirty? Problems?

simargl

#571 Post by simargl »

Kickshaw is menu editor for Openbox based on Gtk3. That type of application was missing, I thought only GUI menu editor for Openbox is obmenu which needs python and pygtk. This has no other dependencies except Gtk3, so it will be added in next version.

You can try it with: packer -S kickshaw.

Scooby

#572 Post by Scooby »

I figured how to put an icon in Tint2 panel but how do you put an icon/program-launcher
on the desktop itself?

Is there any good programs in repo to do this?

simargl

#573 Post by simargl »

You can replace line imlibsetroot... in /root/.start with spacefm --desktop &, as spacefm can manage desktop wallpaper and icons/launchers and it does it better than rox-filer. For example, icons sizes are not hard coded to 48 pixels as for rox desktop. Then if you add lxpanel instead of tint2, set mint-x gtk and icon themes result will essentially be LXDE desktop for example something like Mint screen shot bellow.

Scooby

#574 Post by Scooby »

Is there a way to add a menuitem to spadefm desktop-menu that opens the original
AlphaOS menu, The one I get when I right-click Tint2 panel?

simargl

#575 Post by simargl »

Scooby wrote:Is there a way to add a menuitem to spadefm desktop-menu that opens the original
AlphaOS menu, The one I get when I right-click Tint2 panel?
Right click - choose "Desktop Settings", and there is "Right click shows WM menu" checkbox

Edit:
Next version Alphaos 9.0 with new kernel, frisbee instead of pwriless and other changes will use Arch packages from 2013/08/01. Plan is to make new version for every month - same as Arch release their installation CD.