PeasyGlue

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
rcrsn51

PeasyGlue

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

Update: Graphic images are sometimes distributed as PDF files, so PeasyGlue v1.9 now accepts this format for input. Also, there is a new Print button. It sends the final glued image directly to PeasyPrint v2.5. To save time, the temporary raw PNM data is used instead of the JPEG/PNG file.

Update: PeasyGlue v1.8 lets you pick the amount of spacing between images. Note: The program has now moved to /usr/local/bin/peasyglue from /usr/sbin/peasyglue. Make sure that you are running the correct version. Delete the old one if necessary.

Update: Here is a money-saving tip for people who print their own digital photos. If your camera is set at the 4:3 aspect ratio, you can glue two photos together into a 4:6 image that is the exact size for photo paper.

-------------------------------------

PeasyGlue is a little app for joining graphic files together into rows or columns. By combining several rows vertically, you can also create a grid of images.

You can select images by using the File Chooser buttons. But it's easier to just drag files directly into the PeasyGlue input boxes.

To make a shortcut, drag the file /usr/share/applications/peasyglue.desktop onto the desktop.

PeasyGlue creates some large temporary files, which are normally stored in /tmp. When working with big graphics files, you may run out of space, and gluing will fail. Here is a work-around.

1. Create the hidden file /root/.peasyglue
2. Enter the path of a location with lots of space, like /mnt/home
3. Save the file.
4. PeasyGlue will now use that temporary location instead of /tmp.

--------------------------------

How to make printable graph paper

1. Download the attached square.png graphic file. It is a little black-and-white square, just the top and left sides.

2. Run PeasyGlue. Using the Pattern tool, create a grid with the desired number of squares. Save it as a PNG.

3. Run PeasyPrint. Print your grid to the desired size.

Here is an example. Suppose you want graph paper with 1/4 inch squares printed onto letter paper. Since many printers have an unprintable border, the maximum size may only be 8x10 inches. So your graph paper will have 32x40 squares. In PeasyGlue, make your pattern 40x32. In PeasyPrint, make the width 8 inches and the paper size Letter.

To add the missing lines on the right and bottom sides of the grid, do the following:

1. In PeasyGlue, save the grid in PNM format with filename out.pnm. (You need v2.2 for this option.)
2. Run the command: pnmpad out.pnm -right=1 -bottom=1 | pnmtopng > out.png

But suppose you want a grid of rectangles instead of squares. See the hint below. Then use the same procedure.

-------------------------

Hint: You don't need a separate graphics program to create your own "building blocks".

Here is some code to make a 100x50 rectangle with top and left sides:

Code: Select all

pbmmake -white 99 49 | pnmpad -top=1 -left=1 | pnmtopng > rectangle.png
Or see the SquareMaker app here.

------------------------
Attachments
design.png
(7.17 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
square.png
(111 Bytes) Downloaded 215 times
peasyglue-2.2.pet
Updated 2019-01-15
Can save as raw PNM
(5.51 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
screenie.png
(33.01 KiB) Downloaded 2203 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 06 Dec 2019, 13:44, edited 55 times in total.

anikin

#2 Post by anikin »

rcrsn51,

This is one nifty app!
Makes posting images in a forum painless.
Thank you very much.

L18L

Announcing PeasyGlue

#3 Post by L18L »

sed -i 's/frame Save the glued image in this file (JPG)/frame $(gettext 'Save the glued image in this file (JPG)')/' /usr/sbin/peasyglue
will complete internationalisation

my 0.02 EUR :)

rcrsn51

Re: Announcing PeasyGlue

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

L18L wrote:

sed -i 's/frame Save the glued image in this file (JPG)/frame $(gettext 'Save the glued image in this file (JPG)')/' /usr/sbin/peasyglue
will complete internationalisation

my 0.02 EUR :)
Thanks. I always seem to miss one! I will post a new version.

seaside

#5 Post by seaside »

rcrsn51,

What a nice, handy, and compact image combiner. (It's very useful to me because I can never remember how to combine images using mtPaint.) :D

I assume the "glued" image could also be saved to a .png instead of .jpg by using "pnmtopng".

Another useful tool in the "Peasy" series, thank you.

Regards,
s

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

seaside wrote:I assume the "glued" image could also be saved to a .png instead of .jpg by using "pnmtopng".
Or I guess that v1.3 could give you that choice. :wink:

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyGlue v1.4 has a new feature for making grid images like this:

charlie6

#8 Post by charlie6 »

Hi rcrsn51,
thanks again ...great !!
here is the french tar.gz file ...
enjoy!
Attachments
PeasyGlue_v1.4_french.jpg
(14.07 KiB) Downloaded 2545 times
MoManager-fr_BE-peasyglue-1.4.tar.gz
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 834 times

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. I noticed that you used PeasyGlue here. :wink:

DaveS

#10 Post by DaveS »

I LOVE this app but for me on Slacko 5.5 it does not append the file extension?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

DaveS wrote: but for me on Slacko 5.5 it does not append the file extension?
Are you talking about the name of the output file? The program does NOT automatically add an extension to the filename - you need to include it yourself.

DaveS

#12 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote: but for me on Slacko 5.5 it does not append the file extension?
Are you talking about the name of the output file? The program does NOT automatically add an extension to the filename - you need to include it yourself.
Oh, OK, I get it. Selecting jpg or png sets the file type, it does NOT append that extension. That has to be added by hand . . . . .
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyGlue v1.6 is posted above.

charlie6

Re: PeasyGlue

#14 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Bill,
rcrsn51 wrote:Update: Here is a money-saving tip for people who print their own digital photos. If your camera is set at the 4:3 aspect ratio, you can glue two photos together into a 4:6 image that is the exact size for photo paper.
I'm much appreciating this new 1.6 update ...
...how could one ever be living without it...? (i'm joking of course :wink: )

Updating its french locale ... and wondering about the «Aspect» button ... does it stand for «gluing two photos together into a 4:6 image that is the exact size for photo paper» assuming the photo papers size to be "Letter" size? ( :? i'm ignoring what size is that paper here in Europe ...);

I've tried using this «Aspect» button after dragged two images.png (4:3 aspect ratio) in the upper fields + defined a file where to save the 4:6 image ...but nothing happened: no /tmp/gluetmp folder created nor any comment in the command line terminal ... :? :?:

...Hmmm!...and ... what if there are more than two photos ... :P ? Does the new image also be shrinked into the Letter size?

Thanks for any answer!
Cheers, Charlie

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

You are right - the Aspect button is not well documented. It only works AFTER you have glued some images together.

I wrote it mainly to use with the Pattern feature. Suppose I make a pattern and want to print it on Letter paper using PeasyPrint. And I want it to fill the page.

With PeasyPrint, you can scale the width or height, but not both. It never changes the aspect ratio of the image. So if I want my pattern to fill the page without getting cropped, I need some information in advance about how to place it on the paper.

Printing images on photo paper is not a problem. I can use RPhoto and crop to the exact aspect ratio I need.

I recognize that the Aspect feature is not much value to an A4 user like yourself. Maybe I should remove the confusing Aspect button and only show that information after making a pattern.

I'm curious. In Europe is photo paper still 4x6, or do you buy a metric version?

Bill
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyGlue v1.7 is posted above. It removes the Aspect button and only shows that information if you make a pattern.

charlie6

#17 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Bill,
rcrsn51 wrote: ...I recognize that the Aspect feature is not much value to an A4 user like yourself. Maybe I should remove the confusing Aspect button and only show that information after making a pattern.

I'm curious. In Europe is photo paper still 4x6, or do you buy a metric version?
Bill
Having the above explanations about the «Aspect» button, i believe version 1.6 could be kept as is .... so...thanks for version 1.7 :D

Digging a bit about photo paper size, in Belgium at least, we use 10x15cm as nominal sizes (4x6 inches = 101,6x152,4mm; and measured on some Kodak paper pictures: 101,5x149mm; and 102x150mm on a Fuji print paper; ...token account of production tolerances I believe we also have 4x6 inches here in Europe)
Cheers, Charlie

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

charlie6 wrote:Digging a bit about photo paper size, in Belgium at least, we use 10x15cm as nominal sizes (4x6 inches = 101,6x152,4mm; and measured on some Kodak paper pictures: 101,5x149mm; and 102x150mm on a Fuji print paper; ...token account of production tolerances I believe we also have 4x6 inches here in Europe)
Interesting. In North America, the next largest photo size is 5x7. What would you call this in Belgium?

I checked in RPhoto for an aspect ratio that matched Letter sized paper, but there wasn't anything close. However, there is a 13:9 ratio that I believe would be close to A4.

charlie6

#19 Post by charlie6 »

rcrsn51 wrote:...In North America, the next largest photo size is 5x7. What would you call this in Belgium?
here are some currently used formats in photo shops and their respective conversion:

Format
10 x 15 cm = 4x6 inch
11,4 x 15 cm= 4,5x6 inch
13 x 19 cm = 5,1x7,5 inch
15 x 20 cm = 6x7,8 inch
20 x 30 cm = 7,9x11,8 inch

A4 is 210x297mm = 21x29,7cm
Letter is 8.5x11 inches (216 mm x 279 mm »-> 279; not 297 :) )

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

I went into the RPhoto configuration file /root/.RPhoto and manually added a ratio for Letter paper.

RatioList=........|22:17 (Letter)
Now before printing in PeasyPrint, I can bring up a graphic in RPhoto and compare its aspect ratio against a Letter sheet of paper. So I can visually determine how to scale it - by width or height.

This makes the PeasyGlue Aspect feature redundant.