OpenSCAD 3D CAD modeller

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
Mike Walsh

OpenSCAD 3D CAD modeller

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, kiddiwinks.

OpenSCAD is a well-known, text-controlled open-source 3D modelling application, which in recent years has become more commonly used for assembling 3D shapes (simple or complex), before then using appropriate software to translate them to physical output through a 3D printer.

Following this post by forum member ravensrest:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111995

.....about the requirement for a 3D modelling application, to work along with the printer control AppImage he's found which works in Tahrpup64, I did some digging around and came up with OpenSCAD. Along with Windows and Mac packages (and the usual host of instructions for installation via the different distro package managers), they produce a couple of 'generic' tar.gz packages for Linux; one 64-bit, one 32-bit.

After unzipping with UExtract, you have a straight-forward set of directories, along with an install script that merely places them into the appropriate locations, and sets up necessary links. It starts from the /usr/bin/openscad script with no fuss, although you may get a wee moan about the version of OpenGL in use by your Pup. It still functions fine, apparently.

ravensrest informs me that it works well.

The only snag with this method of 'installing' is that it means a 'manual uninstall'. For many, this can be a daunting task. To this end, I've made up 32- and 64-bit .pet & SFS packages.....for anybody else who might be looking for something to 'fit the bill' for this particular scenario.

These are available from my MediaFire a/c, at the following location:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/j98h9x ... CAD_3D_CAD

Having thrown the 32-bit version at various assorted Puppies, it even works straight off in 'problematic' breeds like Racy 5.5 and Lucid. I think it's fair to say this will almost certainly work in all 5-series Pups.

Hope they may prove useful for some of you. Enjoy.

Mike. :wink: