messed up network adapter after slacko boot

Booting, installing, newbie
noob_g

messed up network adapter after slacko boot

#1 Post by noob_g »

Hi,

I am a newbie to puppy.
Just few hours ago, i installed the slacko version 5.5 into a usb stick, and boot it up on my main desktop installed with windows 7.
Everything works smoothly until i switch back to windows 7 to find my network adapter is screwed. Ethernet cable is plugged in but there isn't any network access.

Nothing wrong with my router since all other computer can connect to the net.
I have used restore point, still no luck..
I have even reinstalled windows 7 back to my desktop..so far no luck..
I even load default setting on the bios, and still no luck..

Any solution??

any help is greatly appreciated!

hal8000

#2 Post by hal8000 »

You should always quote some hardware, whethere its a separate ethernet card or a LAN port on your motherboard.

From puppy USB open the console and post output of

lspci | grep -i eth

The above command will give the ethernet chipset.

However this may work as a solution.
After using puppy from USB shutdown the computer and unpug from electric supply (or use the main switch on the PSU).

Wait 30 seconds and reboot.
The cold boot will restore your hardware to a default state and I am pretty sure you will have connectivity again.
Going through BIOS may work but you would have to disable onboard LAN , rebbot enable onboard LAN.

I had same problem with a Gigabyte Motherboard GA-P55A-UD3 with builtin ethernet (RTL8111). This dual booted linux and windows 7 and I occasionally had no internet connectivity. The LAN port would lock up
and not work in windows unless I did a cold boot.

This was using linux with an earlier 2.6 36 kernel, and since most mainstream distros now use a later kernel problem has disappeared.

Windows restore points seldom solve anything, I turn them off as they waste HDD space. You can always fix anything in windows from linux
anyway.
Hope that helps.

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Reboot your router.

noob_g

#4 Post by noob_g »

WoW cold boot solve the problem!!!!!!!! hurray! thanks hal8000!

I got a gigabyte motherboard as well. It's H61m-usb3-b3. The network adapter is atheros 8151 onboard the motherboard.

This is just a precaution before i boot puppy up again on my laptop, is this problem applicable to laptop as well?
if yes, what is the cold boot for laptop?remove battery and ac??

@rcrsn51, rebooting router wouldn't solve the problem. i tried that last night..

kickstart

#5 Post by kickstart »

I get something similar if I use Lucid 5.28 on my desktop computer. Next time Windows XP is booted, it will connect to the wireless LAN but not to the WAN so no internet connectivity. Even a cold boot doesn't fix it. Simply removing the USB wireless adapter for a few seconds then plugging it back in clears the problem. Weird!