[edited later]Cannot reproduce this ability for mount[/edit]

Thanks nooby who made me become fido again and find this bug :D

[edit]
# xskat
Can't write file /root/spot/.xskat.opt

fixed by:

Code: Select all

# chown spot /root/spot
I doubt that anybody else than you would take this further.
Maybe you are the exception. Up to now none have been able
to keep the motivation to test Fido and to explore what exactly
is possible and what is not possible using it and when it bark
at CLI codes that works as standard on other Linux distros.

I don't mind at all if you continue this but the thread
that I created about a wild idea has very little to do with Fido.

Barry has told us that using Fido is on our own responsibility
and very few are motivated to help out if one get in trouble.

I will not test Fido I already have severe headache
trying to use FPM2 and I where not intelligent enough for that one
So I would have no chance doing Fido.

I will not follow this thread.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

zygo

resizing the screen

#92 Post by zygo »

I have started X at the unavoidable 1024x768, added a new mode (1920x1080 max for the HDTV) with cvt & xrandr then resized the screen with xrandrshell from the xorg wizard. I clicked the permanent button but a restart of X returns the familiar 1024x768 mode and my settings in xrandr are gone. /etc/xrandrindex does not exist. Is this a bug?

When the screen is at 1920x1080 the icons and task bar occupy a little more than a quarter of the screen (top left) and the background is repeated over the whole screen in 4 tiles. When I run pwallpaper I can make the one wallpaper image occupy the whole screen. When I restart the window manager the task bar expands and crosses the whole screen at the bottom. However the the icons remain in the original rectangle and the menu never appears outside that area. Is there a way to reisze that area (without restarting X)?

LateAdopter

#93 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello zygo

BarryK has rewritten the xorg wizard and produced a Precise 5.6 beta.

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00225

It may provided a simple solution to your original problem.

I think which files or folders are read at startup vary with different distributions, so not all of the methods for making changes persistent will work.

The main way is to put the modeline etc. in the xorg.conf. Alternatively you can put the --newmode --addmode --output lines in a script and run it when X starts. I think it is /etc/xdg/startup in Fatdog64, but it may be different in Precise.

sszindian

Precise-5.5.92

#94 Post by sszindian »

Didn't see a specific thread for this build so am placing my finds here:

Precise-5.5.92

Every application tried seems to work without any problems.

Graphics are nice for sure.

Speed: Not quiet as quick to respond as some of the other more recent puppy distro's but... accepitable!

Only major issue I found so far... ' WiFi DROPS... without any recovery method except the Cold-Hard-Shutdown!... This has been an issue with puppy's I tested (Precise - Slacko - Upups - Dpups) with the exception of WHEEZY... never had a drop with ir ever! I don't believe this problem is specific to my setup- Linksys AE1000 using rt2800usb as others have reported this happening in various threads with different WiFi setups and different cards.

It would be nice to see WiFi try to recover itself (there are other distro's that do this) once it drops, that would be a temp work-around but not a fix for sure.

Other than that, looks like a good solid build, especially for first-timers to puppy.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Billtoo

Precise Puppy 5.5, released March 9, 2013

#95 Post by Billtoo »

Precise 5.5.92 running on an intel imac.
The builtin sound doesn't work but a usb sound card is working,
Retrovol needed to be configured to use HW:1 but is working fine now.
Builtin webcam works fine with guvcview from ppm.
The legacy proprietary ati driver compiled with no problem.
This beta is working well here.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 9 May 2013 on Precise Puppy 5.5.92 Linux 3.2.44 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
nee ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: M74 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (444x277 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT
OpenGL version string: 3.3.11653 Compatibility Profile Context

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @2400 1: @2400 MHz

# glxgears
24503 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4900.361 FPS
24832 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4966.368 FPS
24935 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4986.917 FPS
#
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Audio Adapter USB-Audio - Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro
Input Devices
Creative Technology Ltd Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro
Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard
Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard
Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:400a
Power Button
Sleep Button
Power Button
Video Bus
HDA Digital PCBeep
HDA Intel Headphone
PC Speaker
Built-in iSight
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(55.65 KiB) Downloaded 900 times

Sage

#96 Post by Sage »

Didn't see a specific thread for this build so am placing my finds here:

Precise-5.5.92
If you saw the d/l on BK's blog, you should know that he always gives the discussion thread in the comment items:

http://puppylinux.info/topic/precise-puppy-5592-56beta1

If that's his choice it's not a good idea to duplicate it all here. Maybe because the URL parentheses aren't working on John's Forum?

James C

#97 Post by James C »

Sage

#98 Post by Sage »

How did you do that , James?
Every time I wrapped the URL, the panel returned blank. Perhaps John is at home today?!
I'll try it again:

Sage

#99 Post by Sage »

How did you do that , James?
Every time I wrapped the URL, the panel returned blank. Perhaps John is at home today?!
I'll try it again:

Yup, there it goes again - blank panel when the URL is wrapped. Remove them and it shows again. Don't believe in gremlins.

peebee

Re: Precise-5.5.92

#100 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote:Only major issue I found so far... ' WiFi DROPS... without any recovery method except the Cold-Hard-Shutdown!...
Hi there

Which Network Manager are you using? Frisbee has been much improved by rerwin and is included in Precise 5.6Beta - it has the drop-out logic you seem to need - and there are parameters you can tweak to change how quickly it resets your connection on drop-out...

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

James C

#101 Post by James C »

Sage wrote:How did you do that , James?
I'll try it again:

Yup, there it goes again - blank panel when the URL is wrapped. Remove them and it shows again. Don't believe in gremlins.
Just lucky I guess. :)
Or lots of practice......

drphysic

Failed Frugal install

#102 Post by drphysic »

Running a Compaq Presario V6000, CeleronM with 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
Base system: Xubuntu 12.10 formatted ext4 file system

Tried to perform a frugal install of both 5.4.3 and the new 5.5 Precise: install completed, in the sense that the proper files were copied onto the HD, but when I attempted to do a GRUB configure, it would not load files onto the ext4 file system, returning "/mnt/sda is not Linux" and stopping.

Xubuntu has, I believe, GNU GRUB installed, and does not use a menu.lst file to control the load process as far as I can see. The file that does list the possible boot options is in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file, which is warned as not to be modified.

I can run all Precise versions from the live CD, or a USB flash drive, but cannot complete a frugal install; any suggestions?

DRB

sszindian

Precise-5.5.92

#103 Post by sszindian »

peebee wrote:

Hi there

Which Network Manager are you using? Frisbee has been much improved by rerwin and is included in Precise 5.6Beta - it has the drop-out logic you seem to need - and there are parameters you can tweak to change how quickly it resets your connection on drop-out...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi peebee... No, I have almost always used the SNS of BK's to config WiFi... I had some mixed experience with Frisbee back around the start of Saluki and never messed with it again... I will for sure try the Frisbee on 5.5.92 and see how it goes... 'Thanks for the tip!'

>>>---Indian------>

rerwin

dropwait

#104 Post by rerwin »

peebee, sszindian,
Thanks, peebee, for responding to sszindian about the dropwait feature. Even if you do not stay with frisbee, you can use the "dropwait" delay with the other network managers. Although they do not give you the means to set a delay value, there are 2 ways to do it.

1. Use frisbee temporarily to set a delay value, nominally 15 seconds: In frisbee, click "Diagnostics" then "Set Drop Timeout" and enter a value. Note that you can expect network startup time to increase by that amount, at least if you stay with frisbee but perhaps not with SNS. That is because there may be a disconnection and reconnection involved in startup in "frisbee mode" (meaning that frisbee was the last network manager used). After setting the value you can exit both frisbee windows and return to SNS. The value will remain and should be effective after that.

2. The direct way to set a value is to create the file that contains it, without resorting to frisbee, at all. On a command line, enter:
  • echo -n 15 > /etc/dhcpcd_dropwait_secs
You can use any number of seconds between 0 and 120.

BTW, note that I changed the default dropwait setting in frisbee-1.1 to disable it (0 -- actually just removed /etc/dhcpcd_dropwait_secs), to avoid the above-mentioned startup delay. So, anyone depending on a delay needs to set it, one way or the other.

EDIT: Similarly, the connection notification popups that frisbee includes can be used without frisbee by creating the file that controls it. It is a null file and can be copied or renamed from /etc/dhcpcd_state_notify.bak to /etc/dhcpcd_state_notify. Or use the command:
  • echo -n > /etc/dhcpcd_state_notify
(or touch /etc/dhcpcd_state_notify).

Because these features are now part of woof, frisbee need not be installed at all, for them to be usable.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 10 May 2013, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

sszindian

Precise-5.5.92

#105 Post by sszindian »

It appears that setting up WiFi with Frisbee has eliminated the 'drop problem' at least so far. 'Thanks pebee, rerwin.' Running straight on Frisbee to see how far it will go!

All else working great except for one other little issue that is happening again in all the recent puppy's.

Analog Clock keeps disappearing from the desktop in Pwidgets and the plague has carried through to 5.5.92! We only have Pwidgets and Conky for desktop widgets. Myself, I like Pwidgets and it's really a pain having to reload it all the time to have a nice looking desktop.

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#106 Post by pemasu »

Pwidgets has not been maintained for a long time now. The locations the scripts try to find hardware information has changed with these more or less recent kernels.
Also conky beneath the shell is old compile.
I believe Pwidgets would need newer conky and also fixing the Pwidget scripts from several places.
I would use newer conky with conky stuff if you want to have desktop conky features.

sszindian

Pwidgets

#107 Post by sszindian »

Thanks for that info on the Pwidgets pemasu... at least now I know not to test there with various puppy distro's! Maybe someone will get something else going like Screenlets or something down the road... then again maybe Conky will be the new kid on the desktop? Or... maybe just nothing?

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#108 Post by pemasu »

Some playing with conky stuff. You get decent stuff with conky and bluelua.

http://i.imgur.com/689ieiD.jpg

npierce

BusyBox telnet doesn't pass Ctrl-j anymore.

#109 Post by npierce »

This is not a Puppy-specific bug, except in the sense that Puppy is using an upstream application that is buggy.

I have reported this bug to Denys Vlasenko who maintains Busybox. But I thought that I should also report it here so that folks will be aware of the problem and the need to install a real telnet package or an earlier version of BusyBox if using an application that requires Ctrl-j.

Here is an excerpt from my bug report to Denys Vlasenko:
Using v1.21.0 of BusyBox, the telnet applet sends Ctrl-m when I press
Ctrl-j. Obviously, this creates problems for an application that expects
to receive Ctrl-j when I press Ctrl-j.

Former versions of BusyBox did not have this problem. I suspect line 204
in networking/telnet.c:

if (c == '\r' || c == '\n') {

rerwin

Additional analog modem drivers - LSI/Agere/Lucent, Pctel

#110 Post by rerwin »

The attached are modem drivers that were not included in precise pups 5.4-5.5, pctel and martian (Lucent). They require their associated firmware packages:
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pac ... 130514.pet
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pac ... 121004.pet

The two parts of the pctel pet must be concatenated. I provide the informal script for that. After all parts are downloaded and 'splitpetjoin' installed, use the file name of one of the parts as the argument for the script. For example:
splitpetjoin linux_module_pctel-0.9.7-9-12-k3.2.29.pet---part1.pet

Even if nobody cares to add these drivers to their 5.4/5.5 precise puppy, they should be uploaded to the /quirky/pet_packages library to complete the set of modem drivers.
Richard
Attachments
splitpetjoin.pet
(576 Bytes) Downloaded 541 times
linux_module_martian-20100123-k3.2.29.pet
LSI/Agere/Lucent martian modem driver
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
linux_module_pctel-0.9.7-9-12-k3.2.29.pet---part2.pet
pctel modem driver part 2 of 2
(177.35 KiB) Downloaded 548 times