Upgrading Gparted

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
jediborger

Upgrading Gparted

#1 Post by jediborger »

I know this has been discussed before about some experiences but I would find puppy much more usable for saving some computers I have if the newer version of gparted was included. The latest version has far greater support for ntfs and a few more nice features that really round it out. Hopefully Barry sees this and decides to upgrade to .3.3. I"ve read some complaints about the new version but I think they've fixed those problems in the new one and it is a partition editor, so it can destroy your data. I like using puppy as a rescue disk because I can do other things with it while I run partimage or gparted, but lately I've had to boot gparted's own rescue cd to get the newer features to fix a windoze drive. Obviously their cd doesn't have all the abilities or functions of puppy. Maybe if it will cause a problem you can just release a new version in petget and not installed by default. My suggestion for the next puppy.

amish

#2 Post by amish »

release in petget is a good alternative idea... let us know when it's better known to be reliable.

cb88

#3 Post by cb88 »

release new gparted in petget :D
take gparted out of main release :cry:

cb88

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

I tried to compile the latest gparted. I can't remember why but I couldn't finish it.

You need to upgrade parted also, and compile a couple gnome libs.

klhrevolutionist

#5 Post by klhrevolutionist »

i dunno about you all but I would like to see some of the advanced scripting pups create a gui to parted rather than using gparted.

gparted is fine but lets imagine a gui created by pups for pups.. I believe that would be even easier for new users.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

veronicathecow

#6 Post by veronicathecow »

I love Gparted, very simple to use and reliable (although I do not trust NTFS support yet but that's another story and not about Gparted)
Wouldn't object to a puppified version if someone is up to it (the poeple doing projects like puppy backup and Pfind, they make great interfaces)

Pelo

Gparted 0.23.0

#7 Post by Pelo »

GParted 0.23.0 (2015-08-03)
============================
Available in Puppy somewhere ?
Release Notes
-------------
This release of GParted includes enhancements, bug fixes and
language translation updates.

### Key changes include:

* Add partition name to create dialog and enable online naming
(relevant for GPT partitioned disk)
* Show serial number in device information
* Add support for btrfs set new file system UUID
* Prevent UI hang when resizing FAT16/32, HFS and HFS+ file systems
Attachments
bootflag.jpg
Gparted boot flag
(39.01 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Gparted updates, for Puppy versions, is very much dependent on what core programs and files are in the Puppy version.

It has been an issue, because the Puppy version does not have the needed version of something, that the latest version of Gparted needs to work.
It is usually some major core files, that if updated, would cause other parts of the Puppy version to not work.

If you are going to do anything to the format or partitioning of your main storage device. It is always, always, best to use the latest version of the program that is doing the changes.

Info:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
Download:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted ... ve-stable/
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)