Problem with HDMI resolution in Carolina (Solved)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
inoxidabile

Problem with HDMI resolution in Carolina (Solved)

#1 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi everybody !

I installed Carolina - frugal mode, on a Foxconn nt330i and as first check I used a common crt 1024x768 res. Everything was fine and it also becomes better after Nvidia installation as specified in the related tutorial.
After the above, I connected the pc to a tv with hdmi and then I'm not able to find the way to set a right resolution.

It automatically detects its native res is 1920x1080 but the panel results "out of screen" and also the windows have one third not accessible ... I tried also a different resolution 1280x720 but the panel still remains one half out and the windows are not correct in size.

I have had a look on web and my fear is that this problem has no solution...
Have I any chance? Should I only vga/dvi connection?
Many many thanks in advance!
Last edited by inoxidabile on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.

inoxidabile

#2 Post by inoxidabile »

After several check and "cut and try" operations I found the reason of problem.

The main reson was a setup in monitor/tv, I t was about a "stretching" of image, a sort of little extra landscape effect.
After the reset of this effect, I also have had to find the best compromise for resolution, because 1920x1080 shows too little icons and fonts and then now it seems good at 120x720.
I don't know if this is due to monitor/tv feature, graphic chipset, Puppy or whatsoever (or a combination of that), however now the result is acceptable.

There are also other things to check but I think they are about the derivative I used (Carolina).

OK, then I will mark as solved, thanks to everyone!

L18L

#3 Post by L18L »

inoxidabile wrote:... 1920x1080 shows too little icons and fonts...
I do not know Carolina,
but in official recent puppies you can use

Code: Select all

set-xftdpi
to set font size.

inoxidabile

#4 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi L18L , many thanks for Your suggestion.

Carolina has XFCE and then I could also chang fonts and icons but I have had also to consider that my vision is not as good as in past :) and I look at monitor at a certain distance.
Moreover a lower resolution means also less pixel to manage and then less load in terms of graphical elaboration.

To sum up, it isn't a " only Puppy problem"... :)

L18L

#5 Post by L18L »

My vision is also not as good as in the past...

I am using hdmi in my raspberry puppy without problems
so I have been curious to this thread...

Anyhow, set-xftdpi internationalized now 8)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

inoxidabile wrote:After several check and "cut and try" operations I found the reason of problem.

The main reason was a setup in monitor/tv, It was about a "stretching" of image, a sort of little extra landscape effect.
After the reset of this effect....
Please explain in more detail. Do you mean you adjusted the monitor settings, or did you "reset" something in Puppy? If you did something in Puppy, exactly what was it? :)

inoxidabile

#7 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi Flash,
I only tried to adjust monitor settings, using the related wizard or the setup available after the installation of nVIDIA driver.
After some considerations, now I think they were attempts to find a resolution in order to have a sort of "compensation" of the wrong monitor/tv settings :)

As I said, now the result is acceptable... there is still "something", I'm asking about in the Carolina sections:
- A game (GLBilliard) starts fine but when I quit the size of desktop is "shrinked" then I must exit and restart with xwin.
- Sometimes there are videos from Youtube that have some little flickering and it's not due to hw features.
... but I think these are other questions! :)