Upup Precise 3.8.3.1 created by using up-to-date Woof

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pemasu

#136 Post by pemasu »

mcewanw. You need channels.conf or some other text file like vlc.xspf which contains the information of the tv channel frequencies. I use w_scan:
w_scan -fc -c FI -M > /root/channels.conf.

This one produced the channels.conf in Mplayer understanding format, I believe.

Check w_scan --help for more info of the options.

http://simplehacksnreviews.wordpress.co ... and-me-tv/

I have for VLC channels info file created as vlc.xspf with w_scan

Dvbscan should be ok also. W_scan performs "raw" scanning. It goes through all the frequencies and that is why I have liked w_scan.

Anyway. You need first the channels.conf file or other channels info text file...or compiled binary data file. Vlc needs that file information of your tv channel frequencies.

There are several ways to produce that channels info file. Try and error worked for me. Lol.

Then it is just matter of launching vlc with pointing to that channels.conf file. In console:
vlc -vvv /root/vlc.xspf

-vvv just gives more verbose information what happens and helps me debugging if the tv does not pop up in VLC.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/i3 ... 20111203-1

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/88522418/ ... 1_i386.deb

Smplayer is the other one I have used with dvb tuner sticks.

mcewanw

#137 Post by mcewanw »

pemasu wrote:mcewanw. You need channels.conf or some other text file like vlc.xspf which contains the information of the tv channel frequencies. I use w_scan:
w_scan -fc -c FI -M > /root/channels.conf.
Ah... I was hoping that's what it was, and had, since my last post, already installed both dvdapps and w_scan from the ubuntu repos. I had tried w_scan -x (somethingorother) and was able to determine my dvb-t usb stick was functioning (since w_scan correctly used it to determine all the locally available channels) and I was looking into producing a channels.conf (hoping that would do the job). However, the rest of the family wanted to watch tv, and that usb stick is all we have here at the moment (working under its supplied windows OS software) so I've been unable to do further work on getting it to work under upup! I'll try your suggestions tomorrow and report back...
github mcewanw

mcewanw

dvb-t still not working with vlc

#138 Post by mcewanw »

I successfully created /root/vlc.xspf using

w_scan -ft -c NZ -L > /root/vlc.xspf

but vlc still not displaying dvb-t picture...

I ran command: vlc -vvv /root/vlc.xspf from an rxvt console. The log outputs to that console are rather large but I've provided the output at the following pastebin.com link in case that log helps work out what the problem is:

http://pastebin.com/MAnuzijg

I don't understand vlc output log, but note that lines 177 to 197 show that the correct local (Christchurch, New Zealand) digital terrestial TV (and radio) channels have all been correctly identified (21 of them is correct).

I haven't tried smplayer as yet since really wanted to get vlc working with this dvb-t usb stick.

EDIT: quickly tried: mplayer dvb://"FOUR" -demuxer lavf

There were lots of errors from the console but a picture with sound did appear in mplayer. However, it was very flaky and froze eventually. Don't have time to look into this further at the moment or to post the console errors tho. No idea of that commandline. Just found it, via google, at: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159744. Works fine under the provided MSwindows software on this machine, but want Puppy instead!
github mcewanw

pemasu

#139 Post by pemasu »

mcewanw. I tested it now with fresh install.
I used http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... 5-i686.pet

And....I noticed that I hadnt packaged in libdvbpsi library which is needed with vlc.

So install libdvbpsi7_0.2.2-1 with PPM and you should get dvb tv working with vlc also.

My mistake. Sorry.

mark41844

Power off issue on Upup Precise 3.8.3.1

#140 Post by mark41844 »

I just did a frugal install to SSD in ext2 participation with 512M persistent storage file. System came up and running fine after complete set up time zone and mouse. I then did a immediate shut down to create 512M persistent storage. On 2nd boot up, I was able to get my Netgear PCMCIA WG511 v2 set up via ndiswrapper with Marvell window driver and connect to internet. The performance is incredible compare with XP. I was really happy now that I can bring this old laptop back to life for my Mom.

Then some how during power off, the system hangs with message “Precise OS is shutting down

don570

#141 Post by don570 »

I was able to get my Netgear PCMCIA WG511 v2 set up via ndiswrapper
Did you get ndiswrapper from this thread or the previous thread?

Since ndiswrapper should be compiled specifically for the kernel used,
which is 3.8.3.1

Other versions of Puppy linux have gotten that card to work
with ndiswrapper specially compiled for the kernel in use.

Older ndiwrapper for k3.7.2 HERE

sszindian

Shutdown Problem

#142 Post by sszindian »

mark41844 wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then some how during power off, the system hangs with message “Precise OS is shutting down
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

mark41844

#143 Post by mark41844 »

don570 wrote:
I was able to get my Netgear PCMCIA WG511 v2 set up via ndiswrapper
Did you get ndiswrapper from this thread or the previous thread?

Since ndiswrapper should be compiled specifically for the kernel used,
which is 3.8.3.1

Other versions of Puppy linux have gotten that card to work
with ndiswrapper specially compiled for the kernel in use.

Older ndiwrapper for k3.7.2 HERE

@don570

I believe ndiswrapper already been compiled in for Precise 3.8.3.1. I just issued command below in the directory with my wifi card window driver, remove and plug in the card again then the light on my wifi card just came on.

Code: Select all

ndiswrapper -i  mrv8335.inf 

mcewanw

#144 Post by mcewanw »

pemasu wrote: So install libdvbpsi7_0.2.2-1 with PPM and you should get dvb tv working with vlc also.
Thanks pemasu. That worked.
github mcewanw

lvds

request for a barebone

#145 Post by lvds »

Hi Pemasu (and all)

Many thanks for you hard work ! I'm looking for a trimmed version kind of a barebone so I could build a pupplet ubuntu compatible from your base. Do you already have one ? or please can you build one ?

Also, it's been a long time I've not played with woof, and before asking here I thought to myself I would try to woof a barebone conform to your work but I fail... Are you using woof or woof2 ? Is there a template somewhat you could give me so I put it into woof and get the same result hours later ? From what I read you made adjustements after the woof built, so a barebone or sort, from you would be best (and I promise to do my homework on woof :oops: ) so I will be sure the pupplets will get the same hardware compatibility than upup already have. Please :-)

Many thanks in advance

pemasu

#146 Post by pemasu »

Well.....It could be possible to create woof build just like I have done it. Some of my tuning, would need small woof hacks, but they are only for theming, backgrounds, jwm - gtk-themes. And for fonts..

Otherwise.....if I would upload my pets which the woof would see, then you could create the Upup Precise.
Why I havent done that. I would need to update my uploaded pets, they would take space, and atm I try to restrict my uploads as much as possible.

I could upload my used woof files to create Upup Precise...and anyone could create it. But....there are not so many woof builders. Updating the files and pets...would take time and observation.

And....there is already Precise Puppy which you can create from existing stuff. If you know how to woof build, then it is not that difficult to modificate it.

I believe I dont have time and dedication to upload and update online my different woof built distros. I more or less like to woof, modificate and create than be maintainer.

Anyway...if you have spesific questions about woofing...I will answer as much as I can. I can also upload needed pets....temporary...though.

starhawk

#147 Post by starhawk »

I *think* I've got the right thread -- I am using an install of Upup Precise from an ISO which claims to be "Upup Precise 3.8.2" but I can't find a dedicated thread titled as such.

Anyhow.

I'm using that version of Upup Precise on a Pico-ITX board with an internal GMA500 graphics "solution" from Wintel. The BIOS for this board is designed such that it will actually override the resolution selection in xorgwizard. I'm looking for a workaround that will let the OS basically tell the BIOS to go screw with respect to that one misfeature, as the BIOS doesn't have a "don't argue with the OS" setting. Of course there's a Windblows driver which eliminates the problem... but I'm not putting XP on this wee beastie -- that defeats the point entirely of why I got it!

Full details in a dedicated issue thread, here --> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86232

EDIT: sorry, poor wording. Fixed.

lvds

#148 Post by lvds »

pemasu wrote:Well.....It could be possible to create woof build just like I have done it. Some of my tuning, would need small woof hacks, but they are only for theming, backgrounds, jwm - gtk-themes. And for fonts..
Yes, exactly what I was talking about :-) I noticed the changes here and there and it gives a very clean result, I like it and it really improves the desktop. Many little changes here and there and it gives an excellent result 8)
pemasu wrote:Otherwise.....if I would upload my pets which the woof would see, then you could create the Upup Precise.
Why I havent done that. I would need to update my uploaded pets, they would take space, and atm I try to restrict my uploads as much as possible.
I didin't know about your bandwidth issues, or is it a storage space problem ? If it is space only, I can help and store the files elsewhere.
pemasu wrote:I could upload my used woof files to create Upup Precise...and anyone could create it. But....there are not so many woof builders. Updating the files and pets...would take time and observation.

And....there is already Precise Puppy which you can create from existing stuff. If you know how to woof build, then it is not that difficult to modificate it.

I believe I dont have time and dedication to upload and update online my different woof built distros. I more or less like to woof, modificate and create than be maintainer.

Anyway...if you have spesific questions about woofing...I will answer as much as I can. I can also upload needed pets....temporary...though.
ok, see, I would like to get a ubuntu based puppy with non pae kernel and all drivers like yours because it gave me great results on all computers I tested. Then I want to apply trinity desktop or the latest KDE4 (that is two different woof), the binaries are available and there are special repos with gpg pubkeys for TDE, and the KDE4 is available from other ubuntu repos, so my problem is I didn't understand how to ask woof to build like this. Even though this is all Qt related I will need the Gtk changes you did because some programs rely on it. Maybe this is not the right thread and If you need we can move this chat to somewhere else because I don't want to disturb (in this case just tell me where you want to continue on). Many thanks for your help, I'm grateful to learn from your experience.

pemasu

#149 Post by pemasu »

lvds. Yeah this thread is not the right for guiding to the woof process. For example pm posts would be better as a starter. You could pm to me what are the obstacles, do you know how to add rows to the DISTRO_SPECS and is there other repository adding needs....like launchpad repositories...and so on...
Uploading my used woof files....so that they wont interfere with new woof download is the simplest process. I can upload them as tarball and also my 3builddistro patch which modifies that script so that it is capable to add my hacks.

Woofing goes along spesific steps. We need to start from the beginning and from the first obstable.

I dont know how severe is my upload restriction. I use smokey01.com site, granted by smokey01. There was urgent need to delete a lot stuff. The host maintainer was satisfied and I dont know what is the status now. Because of that and because I just have access to smokey01.com site...I try to be very cautious now what I upload. I remove my previous builds because of the same reason. To preserve the storage space.

starhawk

#150 Post by starhawk »

Pemasu, did you see my post, right above lvds's most recent post?

pemasu

#151 Post by pemasu »

Starhawk. Yes I saw. I usually dont comment much if I dont have anything to say. I do minimize the need to post that way.

I have modesetting_drv.so support in Upup Precise. Now you have problem with bios and also with the attached monitor. You got bios update which helped partly. You dont get the wanted resolution still with your monitor.
I suppose you would need help with your bios or consultation with the modesetting_drv.so developers.

There isnt much I can do in your problem. I believe you would need some spesific hacks which are way over my capabilities.

starhawk

#152 Post by starhawk »

Well, someone pointed me in the direction of xrandr -- my screen is displaying the wrong way at the right resolution now. Just have to get this frequency bunkem sorted out and I'll have a display that's just right.

There's a link to a pic in my thread... ;)

don570

#153 Post by don570 »

someone pointed me in the direction of xrandr
I believe it's called Xorg wizard.

starhawk

#154 Post by starhawk »

pemasu

#155 Post by pemasu »

I have simple graphical gui included in Upup Precise, called grandr...for included xrandr.
I havent had much need to use it, but some people have used grandr to set external monitor.

It shows also the available resolutions....what there are available.
It does not save the configurations though...you need include xrandr parameters somewhere from where they are executed each time X boots up.