Upup Precise 3.8.3.1 created by using up-to-date Woof

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bruno

radio player

#166 Post by bruno »

stu sent me the link to another radio player, that works more or less similar to mplayer radio gui: Trdo
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81904

It works great on Upup Precise 3.8.3.1

pemasu

#167 Post by pemasu »

Here it is as pet.
Mplayer Trayradio.

Thanks.
Attachments
Mplayer-trayradio-0.0.1.pet
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 721 times

bruno

trdo

#168 Post by bruno »

Thanks pemasu
Meanwhile, I encountered a problem with trdo, and stu91 immediately made a new version (version 3) with a fix for it. :D
You can pm him for the new version

bruno

Trdo version 3

#169 Post by bruno »

This is the version 3 of Stu91's Trdo
Attachments
trdo.gz
(4.74 KiB) Downloaded 624 times

tony

#170 Post by tony »

Hi pemasu,

Version 3.8.3.1 now running OK on usb3 stick. Broadcom Wl driver not working and interferes with my wireless router, but Belcom usb wireless connects OK.

Have installed Comodo linux anti-virus program and it works well. Shutdown not clean but put this down to Comodo firewall.

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards Tony.

tony

#171 Post by tony »

That's weird,

If I transfer my usb stick from a usb3 port to a usb2 port, the Broadcom wireless works fine.

Timing perhaps?

Regards Tony.

bruno

suddenly wrong screen resolution

#172 Post by bruno »

I'M using Upup Precise 3831 now from CD with savefile on HD for some time, and now suddenly the resolution for my old 19" LCD changed from 1280x1024 to 1024x768, and I cannot change it back, no matter what I try with the wizard.
The problem is only with U.P. 3831.
I read somewhere that there was a problem with the Intel graphics driver, and there was a fix for it, but I cannot find that post any more.
I'm using an Intel G850 Sandy bridge CPU, with integrated graphics, and the monitor is connected with VGA.
Thanks

don570

#173 Post by don570 »

I would try deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and rebooting.

XORG will automatically rewrite a new xorg.conf file.

This is safe to do but I don't know if it will write in a new resolution.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/4662/whe ... re-x-there

bruno

screen resolution

#174 Post by bruno »

Thanks don570, I read that askubuntu article now, but it all seems too complicated for me: I'm not a software pro, just a puppy user, and I think this level is a little over my head. :oops:
I think I'll just keep using it as it is, and maybe it will change back to the good setting, just as miraculously as it changed to the wrong ones before. :?

Volhout

1280x1024

#175 Post by Volhout »

Hi Bruno,

Deleting this file is simple:

Click on the desktop item "file", you open the file manager at "root" level.
Click the "back" arrow, then the file browser will be a the highest level.
Click on the folder "etc"
Click on the folder "X11"
scroll find the file "Xorg.conf", and right click
a menu opens, scroll down to "delete" (or press ctrl-X) and delete the file.

Now reboot.

Alternatively, if you have a different monitor somewhere in your house:

1/ turn PC off
2/ connect the alternate monitor
3/ turn PC on, Xorg will configure the new monitor (possibly manual).
4/ turn PC off
5/ connect original monitor and start PC.
6/ PC will re-configure your monitor, and will use it's default resolution (or ... you can set it manual).

One possible reason for your problem can be that the monitor cable is not correctly attached. You do have video, but the PC cannot read the monitor type, and defaults to 1024x768.

Regards,

Volhout

bruno

screen resolution

#176 Post by bruno »

Thanks Don570 and Volhout,
I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor a few times, and then I got the right resolution, but after reboot it jumped back to the wrong one. And now this is starting to happen also with other puppies on this machine, so not only with precise 3831. I guess it's just a strange hardware quirk, where the monitor fails to identify itself correctly.

Volhout

eeepc x101ch support

#177 Post by Volhout »

Dear Pesamu,

I am blessed with a EeePC X101CH (it sounds more like "cursed").
Your Upup Precise works on it. But it won't play hi-res media well.

In below write-up there is mention of a MPLAYER version that supports the hardware of the GMA3600.

http://linuxeeepc.blogspot.nl/2012/08/l ... rrect.html

Install vaapi accelerated mplayer
As I told videos play ok so far, but the full capabilities of the graphic chip are not yet exploited; time to install a mplayer version which will fully use those drivers' power.
apt-add-repository ppa:sander-vangrieken/vaapi
apt-get update
apt-get install mplayer-vaapi
It will tell you it conflicts with mplayer2 (it's ok to remove it) and it will install a few dependencies; this is the vaapi enabled version which will use GMA3600 hardware decoding, it may be a little less stable than the no-vaapi version, but I think the performance gain is well worth a few crashes once in while.
Last step: open Gnome Mplayer and go to Edit/Preferences, Mplayer tab (any other mplayer frontend should have a similar tab or a way to configure mplayer) and in the "Extra Options to Mplayer" field add:
-vo vaapi -va vaapi
and close.
Now you have full acceleration: 720p video play with 3-4% CPU use and 1080p are well below 10%!
Enjoy!
Is this something that could be "ported" to Upup ? Both are Ubuntu Precise based.

Thanks for your answer in advance...

LateAdopter

#178 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Volhout

You can add the launchpad PPA to the package manager by editing the DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS file. It will then be able to install from the PPA and resolve the dependencies.

I posted some instructions for adding the pulse-eight PPA and installing a special version of xvba here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 192#653192

You should be able to adapt them to match the PPA that you want.

I don't have your hardware, so I can't test it out for you.

ASRI éducation

#179 Post by ASRI éducation »

pemasu wrote:I have laptop tools pet, which I add to builds. I just switch apps to use the distro compiled versions.

Suspend in my builds uses acpitool, xbindkeys, scripts in /etc/acpi.

Basically acpitool is the one which suspends in console:
acpitool -s

Other stuff just modifies what the comp do before suspending and after waking up and create Fn + Zz function button support. I will check my pet and I can upload it to the smokey01.com.

I am atm out of my comp now. A little busy and not home now. I will do the upload probably tomorrow when I am back.
Hello pemasu,
I want to incorporate the acpi functions in french version of Precise Puppy 5.7.1
Is there a package for it?
Regards,
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

Pelo

Old precisesaves for use with upup.

#180 Post by Pelo »

question : are precisesaves done with Precise 5.7.1 usable with UpUP ?
I thought they were, but my desktop is completety garbled by prohibition signals everywhere.

is there a solution (apart reinstall of precise 5.7.1) Gracias senores.