Upup Precise 3.8.3.1 created by using up-to-date Woof

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pemasu

#76 Post by pemasu »

vlc-nox_* has the /usr/bin/vlc which will be fixed with bbe binary to run as root when you use PPM.

I think something has happened to that vlc binary which has been fixed to run as root. Or somehow the fix has not been in use. Some PPM hanging might cause it.
What...I cant tell.

01micko

#77 Post by 01micko »

pemasu wrote:01micko. In your DOTconfig
# CONFIG_DVB_USB_V2 is not set
You should tick this one. You get whole bunch of the tickable dvb-t tuner drivers more.
Yeah, noticed when I diffed, thanks.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

Re: Updating SeaMonkey in Precise PUPs

#78 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote:Thanks James C
James C wrote:... upgraded SeaMonkey to 2.16.2 ....no problems yet. ...
This seems like a plausible option. What method did you use in updating?

Thanks in advance
Unsquash the puppy_precise_3.8.3.sfs file.Delete the contents of /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.13.1. Replace those deleted contents with newer SeaMonkey (I use the download direct from Mozilla). Resquash the puppy_precise_3.8.3.sfs. Either use the sfs directly in a frugal install or rebuild the iso with the rebuilt sfs.Done.

pemasu

#79 Post by pemasu »

James C. That is my preferred puppy remaster method also...when I dont use woof to update whole build. I have used it also when there has been problems with some packages or scripts and I want to see the effect of changes with fresh install. Swapping files in build is much faster that way compared to woofing.

That method is easy, fast and you get what you delete and replace. And you have still otherwise same sfs as result.

Remember to mksquash with option -comp xz

For example: mksquashfs squashfs-root puppy_precise_3.8.3.sfs -comp xz

I think that the compression should be the same...but I am not absolutely sure of that.
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 17 Mar 2013, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#80 Post by gcmartin »

Would a download from mozilla and a replacement of the folder be advisable over a save-session, reboot? Would the save-session capture the update changes?

Or is that method flawed or potentially hazardous?

Thanks for comments.

pemasu

#81 Post by pemasu »

Of course savefile saved update will cover previous version. Deleting the folder might be recommandable as safety measure though.

I think James C just told how he did it.

Preferred method depends on what you want.

gcmartin

#82 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks all. This helps understanding of options for success. THX to both of you for sharing that.

James C

#83 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote:Would a download from mozilla and a replacement of the folder be advisable over a save-session, reboot? Would the save-session capture the update changes?

Or is that method flawed or potentially hazardous?

Thanks for comments.
Agree with Pemasu.......the new contents will just overwrite the old. My method places nothing in the savefile...... the overwrite method places SeaMonkey in the savefile...about 45 mb uncompressed.

davids45

[Fixed] Clock problem (Full 3.8.2)

#84 Post by davids45 »

G'day pemasu,
While waiting to finish the 383 download, I thought I could mention I have a full 382 which forgets the time each start-up. Everything else is excellent.
It can be an hour fast (we are still in daylight saving here in Sydney) or twelve hours out. Psync fixes the problem but I have not seen a time-problem like this with any previous Pup.
I'll see what happens with 383.
David S.

PS: Installing a Full-383 over the Full-382 seems to have fixed the odd clock behaviour. My Full 382 was made over a non-working Full PHATslacko and I may not have correctly wiped the partition before installing the Full 382. I also see my Frugal-382 does not have a clock-boot problem, also pointing to the 382-Full install being corrupted.

James C

#85 Post by James C »

Doing a hardware check using the old 3.7.2 version...... first cd that I grabbed. :lol: Anyway,it works. :) .

VIDEO REPORT: Upup Precise, version 3.7.2

Chip description:
oem: ATI RADEON Xpress 200G Series

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): ati
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse radeon ramdac record

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
343 frames in 5.0 seconds = 68.462 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.028 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.030 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.029 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.029 FPS
375 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.806 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
Memory : 967MB (196MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 17 Mar 2013 11:37:36 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS480
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ATIIXP - ATI IXP

Figured it would be a change using an ATI box......

pemasu

#86 Post by pemasu »

3.8.3 kernel with ISA bus support and support for ISA soundcards has been compiled and in use now when posting.

I noticed problem with latest woof. Barry Kauler fixed the problem. Solution was easy, rename duplicated DISTRO_SPECS names. I have fixed the DISTRO_SPECS now and I am processing the build. I added PupClock, PupControl and PupSysinfo. Thanks Radky.

I have patched and compiled catalyst 13.1 modern and legacy drivers.
I have HDMI connection with audio working to my LCD TV and to its speakers. Irish Pub Radio is playing by Pmusic in TV speakers.

I have to admit that I smiled when Pogues played in Irish Pub Radio.
I worked in the Provinssirock stage in 1986 when Pogues played there...in FInland...in my hometown when I was youth. There were Fine Young Cannibals, Pogues, Cult and Big Country in Provinssirock that year. That was great year to be in work at music festival.

So...new kernel works fine with proprietary catalyst driver through hdmi cable.

don570

#87 Post by don570 »

The newest mtpaint has been working well for me.

It works with Wacom tablet too.

Available HERE

anikin

#88 Post by anikin »

Hi pemasu,

if it's not too late, will you consider changing the powerapplet to a lower setting. It defaults to Turbo now. And one more - you didn't forget about the fonts conspiracy?

James C

#89 Post by James C »

I hadn't been having much good luck with the 3.8.X kernels so I've been hesitating to upgrade some installs.Your last kernel works so well I just upgraded one of my Sid installs.....

Code: Select all

Mon Mar 18 23:40:29 CDT 2013
james@openbox:~$ uname -r
3.8-3.towo-siduction-686
So far so good. :)

pemasu

#90 Post by pemasu »

More problems with new woof. If there is duplicate generic name database entries in Packages-puppy-*-official files, ie duplicate entries inside some used database file, then the package is not processed.
This is again findpkg script problem ....due to arch compatibilty.

I need to report this again to Barry Kauler.

My latest upload...which I have not announced yet...but one tester downloaded....noticed that puppyinstaller did not launch, because Xdialog is missing. And it was missing because xdialog pet was not processed....and it was not processed because there is duplicate database generic name in Packages-puppy-wary5-official:

xdialog-.3.1-20110924_patched_extrabutton_dougal_default_nostrip_debian2-5c|xdialog|
xdialog-2.3.1-patched_amigo-w5c|xdialog|

Now I wonder why I had Packages-puppy-wary5-official preferred instead of Packages-puppy-common-official.
So....I have to take one more woofing with older findpkgs file and with swapped order for package download repos.

Thank you eps of your report....with build which is not announced...lol
I have removed that upload now....

Billtoo

#91 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote: I have removed that upload now....
VIDEO REPORT: Upup Precise, version 3.8.3.1

I did a manual frugal install and it works okay, vlc too.
Universal installer a nogo.

anikin

status update?

#92 Post by anikin »

A question has been bugging me for a couple days. I've always thought of myself as a Linux noob. Not the most honorable, but a well deserved rank. So I thought until very recently. Now I have some serious doubts as to the correctness of my status. The reason? I have successfully compiled not one, but the whole two items for upup precise383!
1) eee.ko module
2) JWM (iconless).
(see attached image)
With this much of compiling experience under the belt, what am I - a noob, compiler, dev?

Just kidding. As a matter of fact, I should thank rcrsn51 for giving me a kick start howto for my first attempt and scsijon for his howto on compiling JWM.
Attachments
selfcompiled.png
(128.11 KiB) Downloaded 3424 times

pemasu

#93 Post by pemasu »

Anikin. That is great. It wont take long when you start to ask questions about whole kernel compiling. :D

By the way. In the next build is recompiled 3.8.3 kernel due to ISA involvement. But I have included your needed eee.ko in that build straight. I didnt do that because I want to diminish your achievement but because your post reminded your need for that module and there might be others who would like to have fan control in their comp. I dont remember exact specs or your comp which benefits from that module. I just remember it needed some other extra work also.

pemasu

#94 Post by pemasu »

Upup Precise 3.8.3.1 has been uploaded. It has 3.8.3 kernel with ISA bus and ISA sound card support. Driver support is as large as I have figured it should be...which means that still something useful might be missing.

I have used latest woof atm....which had some problems with duplicate generic names.. At the last moment e2fsprogs vs. util-linux clash was found and it has been fixed in this build.

PupControl, PupSysinfo and PupClock has been added. Otherwise this build is kernel update. Previous kernel sources does not work. You need to update to the latest kernel-sources-3.8.3 version uploaded today.

Ati modern and legacy pets has been updated and the Quickpet has been updated accordingly to use them.

Some other small changes. Rox focus square added for keyboard select.
Fonts this time like they have been in dpup exprimo builds. Request by several users. Yeah I know, someone protest the change soon, lol.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/UpupPrec ... ecise3831/

Kernel sources: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... .8.3-upup/

ally

#95 Post by ally »

anikin

sweet - well done, me still noob.... :(

can you upload your files?

:)