How to turn a full install into bootable iso?

Using applications, configuring, problems
markreaves

How to turn a full install into bootable iso?

#1 Post by markreaves »

I tried searching the forums with no success so either I fail at searching, the search feature fails or it hasn't been discussed..

I have a full hard drive install of Puppy Precise and I kind of like how it's setup. Is there a way to turn it into one bootable ISO file?

Barring that, is there a method to "migrate" it to a USB flash drive for portability?

Mostly curious as I'd hate to have to do all these tweaks/updates all over again should some hardware decide to go poof lol.

rcrsn51

Re: Not sure if this has been covered but..

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

markreaves wrote:Mostly curious as I'd hate to have to do all these tweaks/updates all over again should some hardware decide to go poof lol.
Read here for a backup solution.

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

Kinda three ways. One the easiest if its a true linux only HD and puppy only takes the first 4G of HD. If installed with grub. You do not have to convert iso. Backup first 4.3G of HD directly to DVD

Code: Select all

growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/hda
grub will still boot from DVD but if quick emergency bootable backup is not needed

Run my sloppy remaster, It just snapshots current puppy however it is and remakes it as a SFS file, then sloppy reburn to new DVD.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 427#690427

Third is to hack your way through WOOF and find out the correct method used to make a puppy version. Let me know how to do it the right way if you go that route.

I call my methods sloppy because they do not correct the configuration Flags so may cause strange side effects.. But I can live with not having to reconstruct my puppy all over again. I find booting with puppy pfix=RAM solves most quirks, using sloppy remaster.

watchdog

Re: How to turn a full install into bootable iso?

#4 Post by watchdog »

markreaves wrote: I have a full hard drive install of Puppy Precise and I kind of like how it's setup. Is there a way to turn it into one bootable ISO file?
It's possible. I can manually do it. It's a task tiring and complicated. But I don't write english very well to explain the entire procedure. I can tell you that the core commands to build a new puppy precise 5.5 (for example) with your install are two:

1-build the new sfs puppy_precise_5.5.sfs. Mount the original sfs and substitute the original directories with that of your install paying attention to privacy. Then:

mksquashfs SFS puppy_precise_5.5.sfs
Where SFS is the directory containing the original mounted sfs puppy_precise_5.5.sfs modified with directories of your install.

2-build the new cd iso image with the same content of the original but the new puppy_precise_5.5.sfs:

mkisofs -D -R -o precise-5.5.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ISO
Where ISO is the directory where you have put the files.

I successfully followed this procedure for other puppies but I have not tried it with precise.