Greetings to you all from Birmingham UK.

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Markup 001

Greetings to you all from Birmingham UK.

#1 Post by Markup 001 »

Good afternoon to everyone on the Puppy Linux forum here.

My name is Mark and I come from Birmingham England.

I became aware of Linux some two weeks ago and after two weeks of head scratching and hair pulling, I have now done a full install of Puppy 4.2 to the hard drive of my eee pc 4gb machine.

I have found your forum to be an absolute godsend, the way that information is passed around freely and assistance with issues given out has really amazed me - I never came across a more helpful group of people in one place before and it gives your forum a real friendly, approachable and welcoming atmosphere.

I still have many issues with my installation and a million questions that I need answers to, but for now I am enjoying browsing the forum here, and at ubuntu forums, to try to find answers to my questions.

But, I hope you will not mind if, in time, I call in and ask for some advice or assistance in getting my installation running and feeling as well as the ones that you guys appear to enjoy.

Love GNU Linux, Love murga-linux . com and love Puppy Linux!

I wish you all a terrific day.

Kind regards,
Mark

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey mark

welcome aboard

puppy is VERY easy to use and very flexible so I think you'll have a lot of fun with it

if you haven't tried it already puppeee1.0 was a eeepc specific build and is worth a go

it doesn't take long to dispense with windows after taking the plunge, back in the day I wiped windows from all my machines so I had to 'just get on with it'

I use puppy 24/7 now

you would be wiser to use the 'frugal' install method as it's much more versatile, you can have a few flavours to play with and it was designed for this method

I have puppeee1.0 and slacko on the eee, slacko, upup, fatdog64 (VERY fast) on my daily lenovo t61along with older puppies like 4.12, 431 & 432v3 when I am feeling nostalgic

two other machines run slacko builds (my default 'go to')

also try putting puppy on a usb stick via the universal installer then you can carry 'your' computer with you

:)

Markup 001

#3 Post by Markup 001 »

Hi ally

Thank you for the welcome and the much much welcome advice.

In the next few minutes I am going to go for your pupeee1.0 tip and replace the distribution that I currently have on my machine (somehow I have lost the use of my touchpad completely and my machine will not recognise any number of USB plug in mice that I have tried) and IO think that the practise with the universal installer can only be good for me in helping me to feel my way around the system (I'm loving the trial and error fun I get out of it). Also, no matter how hard I tried I could not configure wireless, in fact I could not even toggle the fn f2 keys to switch it on or off. I also struggle in finding files etc as I am totally new to everything re Linux.

I think I may have got the installation done in a somewhat scruffy way because I did want to follow the instructions to the letter in this How To here but when it came to the universal installer finding the files on the USB it could not do so but I found that by mounting the USB and then going for the full install option it allowed me past and onto the installation. As I say it is all trial and error with me at the moment - but fun!

I did take the plunge and ditched windows completely off the machine, it was an installation that a previous user had installed and I feel that it was "stripped down" in many ways and lacked quite a bit of function.

I used the USB loaded installation for a few days but as I say because I have ditched Windows completely, I wanted to do a complete install so that the machine just boots from logon to Linux every time, without me having to rely on the USB at all.

I really appreciate your taking the time to welcome me ally and I will study everything you have raised bit by bit as I get more comfortable with Linux - I am definitely sticking with it though.

Best to you...

ally

#4 Post by ally »

if you have a puppy running you can add another and get it booting easily by creating a folder on the hdd (probably sda1)

so if installing puppeee (there are two types depending what processor, celeron or atom), create a folder on sda1 called 'puppeee'

download the puppeee .iso file to the hdd or usb then 'mount' it by clicking the icon, this will expand the files inside

copy them to the /puppeee folder - have the puppeee folder open and select all the files in the expanded iso by ctrl-a, this will highlight them all and move them to the puppeee folder (by dragging) and then 'copy'

download a grub4dos pet (just google), install and run and it will update the grub boot loader

reboot and select puppeee and you're done

the 'c:' drive in linux is found in /mnt/drive_letter (probably the sda1 we mentioned earlier) if only one hdd then it will be /mnt/home

the puppeee build sorts out all the function keys and wireless troubles - the only issue is the browser is a little out of date - when you get to that stage shout again

simargl

#5 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Isn't that where the Beatles got their start?

Terryphi

#7 Post by Terryphi »

simargl wrote:What's so special about Birmingham UK. so it deserves its own thread

Just asking.
:D
Maybe because some place in Alabama USA was named after it. ;)
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

Does not Puppeee for the EeeePC have two different files?
One for Celeron which mine had and another for the other CPU?
Have you looked with Hardware info which CPU your EeePC have?

Jemimah who created Puppeee had special code to take care of
shortcuts and Fn function key and IIRC also for sleep and such
and maybe wifi and backlight intensity?

Unfortunately all those files are not present on servers
so one need to find some user that can share them.

Take a look and hopefully somebody else can answer the
tech qustions I am too noob to know more than this.
Mine is deep in a drawer and I use Slacko on a Desktop.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ally

#9 Post by ally »

hey nooby

iso's still up:http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/Pu ... uppeee1.0/

I managed to pull some files from puppeee.com on the waybackmachine but the only 'extra' file I have used is a newer chrome build

linuxbear

#10 Post by linuxbear »

Flash wrote:Isn't that where the Beatles got their start?
Liverpool methinx....

Markup 001

#11 Post by Markup 001 »

simargl wrote:What's so special about Birmingham UK. so it deserves its own thread

Just asking.
:D
Yes simargl it is a very very special place 8) As the UKs second (to London) city with much going for it - much too much to mention right now as I am once again at my hair pulling stage getting my head round my newest love Puppy 431 :D Terryphi hit the nail on the head.

Flash, the Beatles were Liverpool, as linuxbear rightly pointed out (they were a bit loud for Birmingham :D )

I am noting everything you have passed onto me ally and I am really appreciative of you taking the time to explain things the way you do to help me get started, I am having great fun in doing so and once again am struck by the friendliness and helpfulness of you all here.

Off I go to my little eee again... I am currently using a different machine running windows to post here but as soon as I can get my wireless figured out on my Linux eee I shall ditch this one

Keef

#12 Post by Keef »

Ossie Osbourne was from Brum.
Says it all really.

Only joking, just an exiled Yam Yam poking fun at his southern neighbours

Markup 001

#13 Post by Markup 001 »

nooby wrote:Does not Puppeee for the EeeePC have two different files?
One for Celeron which mine had and another for the other CPU?
Have you looked with Hardware info which CPU your EeePC have?
I have the celeron processor nooby
Intel (R) Celeron (R) M Processor
6.13.8 Pentium IIIXeon/Celeron 900MHz
512kb Cache
Freq 630.10 MHz

Memory: 507 mb (67 mb used)
Operating system Puppy Linux 0.42 (I am back to running it from USB as I managed to corrupt my hard disk installation)

Resolution 800x480 pixels
x11 vendor The X org Foundation

Audio adapter HDA Intel
IDE DISKS
SILICONMOTION SM223AC

SCSI Disks
USB2.0 CARDREADER SDO (Verbatim store 'n' go 2gb)
nooby wrote:Jemimah who created Puppeee had special code to take care of
shortcuts and Fn function key and IIRC also for sleep and such
and maybe wifi and backlight intensity?

Unfortunately all those files are not present on servers
so one need to find some user that can share them.

I still have not got the function of being able to toggle my wireless on and off via the fn f2 keys so I will have to look into getting all of the files or drivers I need downloaded onto a stick and into my machine (or rather onto my stick) - that is my next task.

I really appreciate you taking time out to get back to me on any issues I'm having as sometimes the simplest of things for someone with experience can be so difficult to grasp for a complete novice such as myself. :)
Last edited by Markup 001 on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

Markup 001

#14 Post by Markup 001 »

Keef wrote:Ossie Osbourne was from Brum.
Says it all really.
:lol: :lol: Yes hes not what anyone or anyplace would want to call a jewel in the crown ha ha, still, I suppose his achievements have to be admired or at least respected.
Keef wrote: Only joking, just an exiled Yam Yam poking fun at his southern neighbours
Yam Yam, I havent heard that expression in years, you must hail from the black country then Keef...?

ally

#15 Post by ally »

just for info the wifi suspend works ok on my own machine fn-f2 and also in the 'eee-control' it can be disabled

Markup 001

#16 Post by Markup 001 »

ally wrote:just for info the wifi suspend works ok on my own machine fn-f2 and also in the 'eee-control' it can be disabled

eee-control ally? Is that the Puppy Control Panel?

I checked my BIOS and the wireless was disabled but enabling it and rebooting did not give me the function. I know it's there somewhere because when I first started using the machine I could toggle it on and off via the keys. I have been looking through to see whether I can determine if I have ,managed to disable all of the key operated functions but every task for me at this stage is a bit of a mountain :)

ally

#17 Post by ally »

puppeee1.0

all control keys work and in addition there is the eee-control just next to the start menu which allows to to switch off card reader, wifi etc for power management

it's very fast too, got all the kids and the folks eee's and it's quicker than my sons dual core with win7 64!!

Markup 001

#18 Post by Markup 001 »

Oh I see. On my version (4.20 now) I only see a "Show Desktop" icon.

I will pick up a fresh stick tomorrow and download pupeee 1.0.
It was my intention to load it on your advice yesterday, but I have been using an application from unetbootin to load up the various distributions I have tried and I could not find it listed in the unetbootin drop down selection lists. So went for the puppy 4.20 instead.
I done this because I was not sure at the time if I would need more than just the iso file for a complete pupeee distribution but after doing some reading, I have found that the whole is contained within the one iso so I will be comfortable installing it.

Thanks again ally.

ally

#19 Post by ally »

if you have a running puppy on the eee

create a folder on the hdd, say puppeee, download the puppeee1.0 iso file either to the hdd or usb, click the iso and it will open to show the individual files

copy these files to the puppeee folder

download the attached grub4dos and install (click the pet)

see where it installs to and then run it, if will sort the boot loader for both versions

reboot eee and then you can select which build you prefer and away you go, to remove a copy you don't want, delete the folder and re-run grub4dos

puppeee is amazing build for the eee

have fun

Attachments
grub4dos_puppeee-1.0.pet
courtesy of rcrsn51
(133.36 KiB) Downloaded 320 times

Markup 001

#20 Post by Markup 001 »

The Puppy I am running is from USB now.

I can no longer get my hdd to work ally. I somehow managed to delete the partition I had created in gparted and the one that is left is a Linux swap partition that is from an earlier distribution still and I can not progress any further with my idea of a full or frugal install to disk until I can delete the Linux swap partition. It has a padlock beside it to signify that it is either mounted or locked in some way but when I right click it there is no option to unmount or delete it.

Can I create the folder on my removeable version and run it side by side with the one I am running now or will it not see it?