How to turn off system beep-sound ?

Using applications, configuring, problems
percival

How to turn off system beep-sound ?

#1 Post by percival »

hey all,

how can I quickly turn off all system warnings etc. in beeps. I use slacko puppy on my music-computer and don't want to have audible warnings when i type a wrong command or tap a button...

thanks for your help

cimarron

#2 Post by cimarron »

Retrovol has a "beep" volume control, and system beeps can be turned off. If using Retrovol, right-click on the speaker icon in the tray, then select "Full Window." Uncheck the beep volume control to turn beeps off.

MochiMoppel

#3 Post by MochiMoppel »

Use command

Code: Select all

xset -b
See xset man page for more options

@cimarron: My retrovol doesn't have a beep volume control and I can't remember having ever seen one. Must be new...

percival

#4 Post by percival »

thanks for your help.

i tried

rmmod pcspkr 
yesterday. it worked but after reboot the system can't find the sound card anymore. Don't know if that problem is related to the rnmod-command at all ? Any ideas on what to do to make the system detect my sound card again?

cimarron

#5 Post by cimarron »

Usually you can set up your sound card with the ALSA sound wizard, located in the Setup part of the puppy menu.

Mochi: I suspect the beep control in Retrovol is a feature on some sound cards, but not all. The control is available on my Dell Inspiron 5100.

Peterm321

#6 Post by Peterm321 »

percival Yesterday, at 07:33 wrote: i tried

rmmod pcspkr
yesterday. it worked but after reboot the system can't find the sound card anymore.
I amended the system startup script, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, to delete the pcspkr module before rc.sysinit runs its module routines. This as far as I can see has no affect on the soundcard other than to dispense with the annoying beep.

Some alternate ways that might be able to disable pcspkr are set out here
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... ep-of-lmde

The files /proc/asound/cards and /proc/asound/devices can contain information about the detected soundcard (if any). If these files contain no soundcard details that tends to indicate a more substantial failure to detect the soundcard and/or load the required modules for it. If there is some kind of souncard detected then running

/etc/init.d/10alsa   restart
(restart alsa) may work.