What's the difference between Slacko 5.5 4G and PAE?

Booting, installing, newbie
JohnDorian

What's the difference between Slacko 5.5 4G and PAE?

#1 Post by JohnDorian »

What's the difference between the slacko iso downloads? I thought the PAE iso required 4gb of memory, but the other iso is named 4G iso. So I'm confused.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey john

the pae version allows more than 3gb to be addressed, so if you have 8gig ram then using pae would see ALL of it

however, the footprint of puppy is so small I would worry too much

I have a laptop with 4gig which is visible as I'm using fatdog64 but with the os loaded to ram, browser with 11 tabs open 2 of which are streaming video I've still over a gig free

:)

JohnDorian

#3 Post by JohnDorian »

Which iso is better for computers with less than 4gb of ram?

ally

#4 Post by ally »

there is no benefit from the pae so go with 4g

:)

duke93535

#5 Post by duke93535 »

If you have 4Gb of memory and want to see all of it used, than go with the PAE kernel. The Iso labelled as 4Gb is miss leading, because it will not see 4Gb of memory, but somewhat less, to the tune of 300 to 500Mbs.

duke

darkcity

#6 Post by darkcity »

4gb in the name means '4gb max'
Physical Address Extension (PAE) is a feature to allow (32-bit) x86 processors to access a physical address space larger than 4 gigabytes. This includes RAM {Random Access Memory} and memory mapped devices.

Sometimes referred to as PAE-Highmem.

When to use a PAE version of Puppy
If the (32-bit) computer has-

more than 4GB RAM, then the PAE version is required to be able to access the whole memory.

4GB or less RAM, then using the PAE version may be still possible/desirable. This is because of the No Excute feature (see below). Note, however, there may be a performance penalty using PAE (see Related Webpages).
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PAE

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

I think the 4G Puppy is just Puppy with the standard 32-bit Linux kernel and I believe the it will run fine in a computer with more than 4 GB of RAM, it just won't use more than about 3.4 GB of however much RAM there is. Anyway that was my experience with 32-bit Puppy after I put 4 GB of RAM in my computer.

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

In the kernel configuration there can be chosen one of these three SYMBOLS:
(kernel 3.4.9:)

Symbol: NOHIGHMEM
If you are compiling a kernel which will never run on a machine with more than 1 Gigabyte total physical RAM, answer "off" here (default choice and suitable for most users). :D

Symbol: HIGHMEM4G
Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and between 1 and 4 gigabytes of physical RAM.

Symbol: HIGHMEM64G
Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and more than 4 gigabytes of physical RAM.