HP EliteBook 64bits Precise 5.4.3 freeze "loading kernel..."

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Lorico

HP EliteBook 64bits Precise 5.4.3 freeze "loading kernel..."

#1 Post by Lorico »

Dear all,

I have a computer, from which I would like to boot using my USB stick with Precise Puppy 5.4.3. The characteristics of my computer are :
- HP EliteBook 8560w
- Intel Core i7
- 64 bits
- Puppy verson triied: Precise 5.4.3

... however the boot freeze on the part "loading kernel modules"... and nothing happen even after a very long time (several hours).

=> I precise that I would prefer NOT to use the "fatDog64" distri on my USB stick, because I use the same USB stick on regular 32-bit computers.

I see different options to use puppy on this computer :
1/ I read somewhere that normally puppylinux could load on 64bit computers without any specifics (or maybe a few fine-tuning on the boot command ? If yes, any clue what I should try ?). Is that correct ??
2/ If not possible, then I would like to have 2 puppy linux distro on my same USB stick, in order to boot on all kind of computer :
* 32-bit using the precise 5.4.3 files
* 64-bit using a fatDog64
=> of course I would like to have the same shared "personal .2fs" file for both distro (sorry, I am a newbie, so might have some newbie questions).
Is there a way to have such architecture on my USB stick, and be able to choose from one distro or the other at boot time ??
3/ In worst case scenario, I was thinking to install precise 5.4.3 into a "portable" version of virtualbox inside windows directly, but I got issues to do so because virtual box doesn't allow to load from USB stick installation...... any idea ?

Many thanks in advance for your lights.

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding boot problem it is not just down to running 32bit Puppy on 64bit machine. I theory any 32bit code can run on 64bit machine. Maybe its because of the newer kernel 3.2.29.

I run Slacko 5.3.1 on a 64bit machine fine. Slacko 5.3.1 uses kernel 2.6.38.4.

---

You can have many frugal installs on one partition.
But regarding personal pup save file. You would be better having one save per Puppy install. Then sym link out the part you wish to share. For example,

I symlink /root/.mozilla/seamonkey to /mnt/home/seamonkey in each frugal Puppy install. This means all the Puppies have the same settings in Seamonkey and the temp internet files aren't choking the pup save.
Also, any documents I save in /mnt/home/documents for example.

more info here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SaveFile

Lorico

#3 Post by Lorico »

Hello Darkcity,

Thank you for your answer & tips !
However, when you say :
You can have many frugal installs on one partition.
-> How should I do that on an USB Stick ?
Should I create a folder on my USB Stick for each distro, where I would copy all the systems files (like : initrd.gz+ldlinux.sys+puppy_precise_5.4.3.sfs (or other distro .sfs file)+syslinux.cfg+vmlinuz) ??
Or should I install grub on the USB stick ?? (is that possible?)

-> And if yes, after that, how can I choose which distro to load at boot ? (currently, the boot automatically loads puppy_precise whithout any action from my side) ??

Thank you again.