RTL8192cu wireless dongle driver for Wary 5.1.4.1

6502coder

RTL8192cu wireless dongle driver for Wary 5.1.4.1

#1 Post by 6502coder »

I recently picked up a cheap wireless dongle in the hope of restoring Internet access to my ancient Sony laptop. The dongle is a Netis WF-2111 and needs an RTL8192cu driver. The laptop runs Wary 5.1.4.1 frugal, 192M ram with a 1G swap partition, and I need the dongle to be able to connect using WPA2.

It quickly became obvious that Wary 5.1.4.1 didn't have the necessary driver, but thanks to shariebeth's experience with a similar dongle and her excellent instructions here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 997#627997
I was able to compile and install a working driver.

Specifically, I used the Wary 5.1.4.1 devx SFS together with this kernel source patch SFS:
kernel_src_2.6.32-smp-45-patched.sfs

Instead of using the Linux driver on the dongle installation CD, I followed shariebeth and downloaded the current driver (in my case, from the Netis web site), and compiled and installed exactly as she describes.

Unlike shariebeth, I have not had a problem with Wary "forgetting" the WPA2 key after a reboot (knock wood).

I'm not PET-savvy but since the driver is just one file, I've attached a zip file here containing the driver and a shell script to install it.

Edit 6 aug 2015

After over 100 downloads without complaint, the link to the ZIP file has disappeared, for whatever reason. Anyone still interested in this driver can PM me and I will be happy to send it to you.
Last edited by 6502coder on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

d_k

newbie in dire need of help

#2 Post by d_k »

Dearest 6592 (you can hear the notes of desperation ringing),
I downloaded the zip-file, you've so kindly attached, unzipped it to a usb-stick and have absolutely no clue as to what to do with it next! So sorry to bother you with such insanely stupid questions, but how do I actually install the darn thing? I am trying to resurrect an ancient PentiumIII Sony Vaio laptop with 256MB of ram via Wary Puppy 5.5, while having no clue or any previous Linux background whatsoever... :oops: Been searching forever online for instruction as to how to get a TP-LINK TL-WN723N Ver2 to work... Your thread seams to be the only one with any actual information in it. Please help!

ozsouth

ndiswrapper

#3 Post by ozsouth »

The driver in the first post is for a specific kernel - won't work with wary 5.5. Best way to get one of these working is by using the win xp 32bit driver, via ndiswrapper.
If you have the adapter cd, copy the .inf & .sys files from the win xp 32bit folder to the / folder , then in terminal run the following 4 commands:

cd /
ndiswrapper -i net8192cu.inf (assuming this is the .inf filename)
ndiswrapper -m
modprobe ndiswrapper

You should then be able to use the networking (connect) tool to connect to wlan0.
You will need to run 'modprobe ndiswrapper' each time before connecting (this can be done automatically by inserting those 2 words as the second line of /root/.xinitrc).

** If you don't have the cd, drivers are here: http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/downl ... version=V2

d_k

THANKS @OZSOUTH but i need more help

#4 Post by d_k »

tank you for your swift response Ozsouth,
did exactly as instructed, but... i can't seem to find the "module" to load that would correspond to said driver anywhere in the list of "modules"... or i'm not doing somethin right again... i open the connect tool, try to set up a connection, under the "wired or wireless LAN" section and cannot find what "module" to load? am i even close? :oops: sorry again guys to bother you with such noob questions

ozsouth

Modules

#5 Post by ozsouth »

With your dongle plugged in, after you choose 'wired/wireless connection', choose 'simple network setup', which should offer you interfaces - usually eth0 & wlan0. Select wlan0 & proceed to connection.

d_k

#6 Post by d_k »

:evil: that is just it - there is only the "eth0" NO MATTER what I DO!
:x F@ck this Sh@t I can't even get the plop boot manager to work under this load of crap, so I'd install Bodhi from a bootable usb. I'm running to the store later to get me some new CD's (ran out yesterday thanks to Pyppy versions, yeah, thanks a LOT) and am getting rid of this unfinished "symphony"!
What good is a light distribution if it can't be easy for newbs! Got better things to do with my time.

cthisbear

#7 Post by cthisbear »

d_k :

Another satisfied customer.

Please send your details back for our 100% satisfaction refund.

Chris.

Pelo

Much better with CSL Dongle

#8 Post by Pelo »

Much better with CSL Dongle (Wary and Racy 5.3) on laptop Medion P7624
German video but ok, video does need comments