Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Can puppy linux and windows 7 network?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
fuelish

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013, 17:50    Post_subject:  Can puppy linux and windows 7 network?  

I want to view / connect to Windows 7 shares on my network from puppy. How?

My Windows 7 network is setup like this.
Kogije

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013, 21:51    Post_subject: Yes  

Yes you can Network them.
fuelish

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013, 21:55    Post_subject: Re: Yes  

Kogije wrote:
Yes you can Network them.

How?
Kogije

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013, 22:08    Post_subject: Smb  

Easiest way is use Samba
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013, 22:37    Post_subject:  

Which Puppy version are you using? If you look in the Network menu, you will see some tools like Pnethood or YASSM that can access shared folders on Windows machines.
Kogije

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2013, 22:44    Post_subject: yup  

Thats true, but pretty much all Puppy Versions have some sort of smb option that will work.
fuelish

PostPosted: Tue 26 Mar 2013, 11:29    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Which Puppy version are you using? If you look in the Network menu, you will see some tools like Pnethood or YASSM that can access shared folders on Windows machines.

I did finally connect to Windows 7 shares with Pnethood in Precise Puppy 5.4.3 and Puppy 4.3.1. Pnethood failed in Three Headed Dog and Yassm failed in Slacko 5.4.

I prefer Three Headed Dog but Slacko is OK. How do I get them to connect to Windows 7 shares? Thanks for the help.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 26 Mar 2013, 11:37    Post_subject:  

I am surprised that the Samba client tools are failing for you in recent Puppies. YASSM works fine for me in Slacko 5.4 with Win7 shares.

Do your Win7 shares require authentication? Are they showing up in Search as "hidden". The Help explains what to do next.

Do you have the Puppy firewall turned on? There are instructions in the Help for handling this.

Slacko has another Samba client tool in your home folder called "network".
fuelish

PostPosted: Tue 26 Mar 2013, 13:06    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
I am surprised that the Samba client tools are failing for you in recent Puppies. YASSM works fine for me in Slacko 5.4 with Win7 shares.

Do your Win7 shares require authentication? Are they showing up in Search as "hidden". The Help explains what to do next.

Do you have the Puppy firewall turned on? There are instructions in the Help for handling this.

Slacko has another Samba client tool in your home folder called "network".

Three Headed Dog finds the servers. I think Slacko does too. Neither can find shares. Pnethood doesn’t show any connect buttons. I don’t know what yassm would look like if it found shares. I didn't see anything about hidden shares.

If you mean passwords then I don’t use authentication in my Windows 7 network.

I use firewall on all Puppies (except maybe 4.3.1). I think I tried turning it off but that didn’t seem to matter. I don’t see how the puppy firewall would prevent shares from connecting when servers are found.

I didn’t find a “network tool” in Slacko home folder. If I understand what you mean by “home folder” but I might not.
fuelish

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 08:58    Post_subject:  

Slacko finds Windows 7 servers but does not find shares. It says “no shares found”. Same thing with Three Headed Dog.

When I use Pnethood in Precise Puppy 5.5 the Windows 7 servers and shares are found automagically. On the server tab for each Windows 7 computer I click “connect” and “show”. All shared folders are displayed. No username or password required.

Pnethood is an excellent piece of software. It’s a shame they chose yassm instead of Pnethood for Slacko. Possibly if saw yassm working I might change my mind.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 10:36    Post_subject:  

fuelish wrote:
I didn’t find a “network tool” in Slacko home folder. If I understand what you mean by “home folder” but I might not.

In Slacko, look in in /root - it's the desktop icon called "files". It contains a folder called "network".

Your problem with YASSM may be a timing issue.

1. Click the Wake button. Does that help?

2. Go to the folder /usr/local/yassm and open samba-search in a text editor.

3. Line 78 says "TIMEOUT=1". Change this to "TIMEOUT=2" or higher.

By any chance is your Win7 machine on a different subnet from your Puppy machine? Do their IP addresses differ in the first two numbers?

Does Three-Headed Dog not also have Pnethood?
fuelish

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 16:31    Post_subject:  

I have connected to Windows 7 shares. Very Happy

I edited line 4 of samba-search script which is now TIMEOUT=3 but I don’t think that made any difference.

What did make a difference is I used IP addresses instead of computer names. Windows 7 names and IP addresses:

MY-LAPTOP:
IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Address 192.168.0.100

HER-LAPTOP:
IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Address 192.168.0.101

Before when yassm asks for a server I was putting in the computer name. But now after choose a server and press select I replace the computer name with just the IP address of the computer I want to connect to. This works but I have to keep entering the IP address every time I want to connect to one of these two computers. Also there is only one computer’s share visible in the yassm directory at a time. How can I get both computers to show in the yassm directory? Is there a way to replace a computer’s name I’m seeing now in the yassm select box with the computers IP address?

Three-Headed Dog does have Pnethood. I will try that after yassm. From what I have seen Pnethood is far superior to yassm.

I don’t know what the puppy subnet mask or IP is or where to find it. I may not need to know that now.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 17:39    Post_subject:  

YASSM uses a different internal scanning mechanism than Pnethood. For many users, they work equally well. But sometimes, one works better than the other. I suspect that this has something to do with your network/router configuration. Although I don't know why Pnethood would fail in Three-Headed Dog (as you reported) and work in Precise.

There are three YASSM programs, so we need to clarify what you are doing.

1. If you run Samba Search what does it find in its drop-down list? Nothing? Even after a Rescan?

On Line 79, change PORT=139 to PORT=445. Does that help?

2. If you run Samba Login and enter the share and server name what happens? Because you reported that you are running a firewall, I suspect that would fail. The Help has a work-around for this. Or you can use the server's IP address instead.

3. The whole point of YASSM is that you shouldn't need to search for shares when you already know where they are. Read in the Help about using Samba Select to build a database of your known shares. In your case, you would use IP addresses instead of server names.

Edited_time_total
fuelish

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 20:09    Post_subject:  

The firewall is the culprit. If I turn it off YASSM Samba Share Search finds shares on my Windows 7 network. If I turn the firewall on I can only connect by entering the IP address and then I can connect to only one share at a time. How can I fix the firewall to allow connections to the shares in my Windows 7 network?

I did edit the samba-search script as you suggested but that didn't make any difference.

I also tried the firewall workarounds in the help but that didn't make any difference either.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 27 Mar 2013, 21:47    Post_subject:  

Just to clarify, are you talking about a firewall on the Puppy machine or the Windows machine?
fuelish wrote:
and then I can connect to only one share at a time..

I don't understand that comment. Do you mean that the shares are not laid out in a table like with Pnethood? Or that something goes wrong when you try to mount a second share with YASSM?

Have you looked at Samba Select?

You did not answer Question #1 above. I need to know what is in the Samba Search list, with and without the firewall.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum