Upup Raring 3.8.7 with non-PAE 3.8.7 kernel, created using

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
simargl

#331 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

anikin

#332 Post by anikin »

I don't see a contradiction here.
Barry is talking about his personal experience of compiling Seamonkey. Given, he's been working on Puppy for ten years already, he's got some experience to share as does someone who's working on Slax. He's discussing compression, not rocket science. On a good day and under the best of circumstances, perhaps I could have come to the same conclusion ... if I had a little bit of Barry's knowledge.

Jim1911

#333 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

Due to health problems, I am late getting to check this out. However, I have found it to be very stable and most everything works as it should. :D

Main problem is being unable to install my printer. I installed the hplip_print-3.12.4.pet which works for me most of the time.

Only other problem noted is that Bibletime installed from Ubuntu repositories will not display text. This is an Ubuntu problem though, since the same problem occurs with Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail. A pleasant surprise is that Xiphos installed with the PPM from Ubuntu repositories and works perfectly. I've also installed Wine and am able to run my favorite Windows programs: Bible_Analyzer, e-Sword, and theWord

Thanks for a great distribution. Looking forward to your version of Barry's latest.

Thanks again, :D
Jim

Equipment: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One Printer
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(38.55 KiB) Downloaded 1381 times

666philb

#334 Post by 666philb »

Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

BHINTZ

#335 Post by BHINTZ »

I have attempted to install wine (both the pet version and ubuntu version) and both times I end up with an error message

wine: cannot find L

James C

#336 Post by James C »

Still running with no real problems. I'm passing on Barry K's latest since he returned to the pae kernels.....be sticking with this version.
Attachments
Raring 3.8.7.jpg
(38.7 KiB) Downloaded 1159 times

Volhout

1001HA

#337 Post by Volhout »

Running Upup Raring on a eepc 1001HA (N270) from USB stick. Nice work !
video and wifi work fine. Nice feature that you have implemented the power modes in form of the laptop tool (from puppeee ?).

Impressive set of apps are included. This by far exceeds whats included in the Slacko builds. The only thing I didn't find at first glance is an e-book reader. But that is easy to fix.

Wil play with this a little more, and report findings here.

Thanks Pesamu...

pemasu

#338 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Volhout. I have used fbreader from the Puppy Package Manager. It is nowadays Qt libs application. So...you unfortunately get a lot qt libs with it. But those qt libs works with other apps also. Like Smplayer, VLC etc...

I havent included old fbreader pet anymore. The qt lib based Raring repo version works fine. I have read quite a lot books at evenings now. Having leisure time still. epub and mobi versions. Raring fbreader handles them fine. I think that I dont have .mobi straight mime coupling, but is in the todo list. Lol.

And thanks to other posters also. I enjoy using Puppies....Upup Raring, Upup Precise, Dpup Wheezy and even Dpup Exprimo with my daily comp usage. But no creative or productive usage. Just used them as end user.

Still have great summer in Finland, Now 26 c in shadow. Yesterday 30 km trip on the road with poles and rollerblades. Next night I go to the fishing. I installed navionics gps plotter map application to my samsung android phone so that I know where I am going. I also ordered fishing sonic device for the boat so that I know the actual deepness and profile of the lake bottom. And maybe I even see some fishes with it. Gonna have some jigging experience.
But next night is for wobblers.

davids45

GPS - on the rebound?

#339 Post by davids45 »

G'day pemasu,

When you mention enjoying your warm summer, and have yourself a new navionics app, I wonder if your new GPS system can measure the 'Holocene' rebound I assume is happening to your part of the world?
According to geologists, Scandinavia is possibly rising about 1cm per year, recovering from being under a kilometre or two of ice for quite a while until about 20,000 years ago.

Time to buy some downhill skis for winter?

David S.

Volhout

fbreader

#340 Post by Volhout »

Hi Pesamu,

I hope you caught a lot of fish last night....

It is hard to imagine what the world looks like up there in Finland. Your winters must be long, and so "unfriendly" that you spend a lot of time indoors. En when summer finally lands, you cherish it and spend all the time you have outside. The winters are for Puppy (or e-books), the summers outdoor fun. Enjoy it !!!

Back to fbreader: didn't find it in
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-upup/
or anywhere on the server.

Did you suggest to take it from the Ubuntu packages ?

Regards,

Volhout

pemasu

#341 Post by pemasu »

Volhout. Yep. I meant to use official Raring packages. Use check dependencies and download them all. You get somewhat working qt libs installation as side product.

linux28

#342 Post by linux28 »

Latest Stable Kernel: 3.10 2013-06-30

tlchost

SLight annoyance

#343 Post by tlchost »

I am running a bootable usb with 16 gig of memory. Every now and again, Raring stops while accessing a directory or some applications like pfind that look in many places.

I suspect it's something to do with the memory. I notice that Barry's latest Raring is super slow, to the pointof being inuseable on my system. The problem has also been mentioned by others.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this periodic slowness?

Other than this annoyance, Raring is great.

Thanks,
Thom

backi

#344 Post by backi »

Hi !
Made a test with GLXGEARS on my Laptop makes 200 Framerate .

With DpupExprimo makes 5000 Framerate .

Is there any way to increase Framerate for Upup Raring ?

666philb

#345 Post by 666philb »

backi wrote:Hi !
Made a test with GLXGEARS on my Laptop makes 200 Framerate .

With DpupExprimo makes 5000 Framerate .

Is there any way to increase Framerate for Upup Raring ?
hi backi ,

the framerate being lower is probably because the drive is synced to vblank .... meaning that it matches the frame-rate to the screen refresh rate of the monitor, which reduces screen tearing.

maybe :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

backi

#346 Post by backi »

Hi 666philp !
Thanks for your information but ....... not sure what this mean ....
is this good or is this bad ?

(Dont have any video problems )

subarus

#347 Post by subarus »

Works wonderfully on Asus X101CH netbook

youtube HD is no longer choppy, thanks to working graphic driver. Resume after suspend no longer hangs. The full hardware potential of my little machine is finally unleashed.

fwiw, X101CH was a piece of junk prior to upup-raring, because no working graphic driver on linux. Win7 besides being slow, freezes sporadically

X101CH is now my machine of choice when I need a machine which is ultra portable and fanless.

I just have to write something to express my gratitude to upup-raring ringtail developers.

I wonder if the cedartrail developer realize the value proposition they could have had if they released enough technical info for something like upup-raring to be developed 2 years earlier? and are they going to continue to let microsoft to screw them up in the future? just like microsoft screwed nokia up. or is there something I am not understanding about business strategies of these large corporations?

Thanks again

don570

#348 Post by don570 »

I can get a Chinese install in this version of Raring :lol:

Using this method.

anikin

#349 Post by anikin »

Hi pemasu,

I'd like to remove Firefox from this Raring and do it cleanly. There was a discussion about removing Seamonkey some time ago, but I can't find it.

Thank you in advance.

don570

#350 Post by don570 »

I'd like to remove Firefox from this Raring
Don't forget to change the default apps.

They are located in /usr/loca/bin/default***

You just have to change the execute line.