SFS or PET from DEBs

Booting, installing, newbie
coldb

SFS or PET from DEBs

#1 Post by coldb »

Hello everyone!!

I use some linux distros on different machines, so I prefer to download and store deb packages to save time.

Now I need to know... It is possible to merge multiple deb packages on a single pet or sfs? If yes, how?

Thankz in advance!

R-S-H

#2 Post by R-S-H »

Now I need to know... It is possible to merge multiple deb packages on a single pet or sfs? If yes, how?
Yes, it is!

Search for PaDS in the utility section, install the package, collect all deb files in a directory, do a right-click on this directory and choose: combine to sfs.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

jpeps

Re: SFS or PET from DEBs

#3 Post by jpeps »

coldb wrote:

Thankz in advance!
Go easy...they don't always work after being combined into an sfs.

coldb

#4 Post by coldb »

Heck, this app is extremely easy to use :D ! But... it's true, something went wrong.

First I tried to merge 8 packages to SFS but I failed miserably.

Frogatto 1.3.1
Executables (3 MB~), data (220 MB~) and 6 dependencies (1 MB~)

Two menu entries were created (without icons) but none worked. According to the console the installation not even existed, so I thought I had overdone and tried to do a simple merge... This time a SFS with some emulators.

DOSBox, Kega Fusion, PCSX, SNES9X, VBA-M and 6 dependencies... But DOSBox and Snes9x reported missing dependencies. :shock:
jpeps wrote:Go easy...they don't always work after being combined into an sfs.
So this is common or I may be doing something wrong? :(

R-S-H

#5 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

I have downloaded PaDS again, installed and created an Audacity-1.3.12-2 SFS from 14 .deb Files inside a directory - using right-click function (you can use this also from the menu, if you edit the .desktop file (edit 'Categories=')).

Everything has been working fine incl. menu entry and executing the program after loading the sfs.

What are the your dependencies, some Qt libs? With Qt I think it's better to install a PET. While PaDS is building the SFS you can grab the PET to install from /root.

Menu entries (.desktop files) do need mostly a manually edit because of missing extensions of icon names etc. If the 'Exec=' entry contains something like %F etc. it is often useful to remove this also to run programs from menu.

I did use the .deb Files from the Lucid Repository and tried a lot from these programs - some of them don't work neither as a SFS nor as a PET.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

coldb

#6 Post by coldb »

That was what I tried to merge:

frogatto_1.3.1+dfsg-1_i386.deb
frogatto-data_1.3.1+dfsg-1_all.deb

Dependencies:
libboost-regex1.49.0_1.49.0-3.1ubuntu1.2_i386.deb
libboost-system1.49.0_1.49.0-3.1ubuntu1_i386.deb
libglew1.7_1.7.0-3_i386.deb
libsdl-image1.2_1.2.10-3_i386.deb
libsdl-mixer1.2_1.2.11-7_i386.deb
libsdl-ttf2.0-0_2.0.9-1.1ubuntu1_i386.deb

After a few more attempts I decided to merge only 2 packages and install the 6 dependencies one by one... Worked! :mrgreen: (still with the menu thing but worked)

Also, I've installed this game on my Precise 5.5 before using these packages only but this time 2 more were requested:

oss-compat_1
libmikmod2_3.1.12-2

Well, I'm still saving a goooood space in my personal file so I think I can already feel satisfied. However, I will keep trying... I still have other "heavy" games that need to be portable. :wink:

Thank you for your attention so far!