LxPup-by-SFS (LXDE)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
peebee

Quirky Tahr pets updated to LxPup14.03 state

#91 Post by peebee »

Updated 19-mar-2014

Install LxPup onto Quirky Tahr using these pets:

1. lxpup_quirky_tahr-14.03.pet

2. lxpupsetup_qirky_tahr-14.03.pet

If you have the previous pets installed, use the Puppy Package Manager to uninstall first the setup pet and deactivate LxPup then the main pet before loading the new pets. If you have made any serious panel changes it might be wise to save the changed config files before doing the uninstall/reinstall (from /root/.config/lxpanelx/LXDE/panels)

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 16:17, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

step

Re: Quirky Tahr pets updated to LxPup14.03 state

#92 Post by step »

Very nice, thank you!
P.S. the link to lxpup pets for QT in the first posting of your lxpup thread points to the wrong spot, it should probably point to http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/posting.php?p=755424

slenkar

#93 Post by slenkar »

peebee wrote:
slenkar wrote:does this lxpup-by-sfs do a chroot or some other linux command to change some system variable?
Don't believe so....if you can give more details of what you are trying to do and what problems you are experiencing I might be able to duplicate and investigate....

I assume it's the Quirky-Tahr pets you are using? Have you tried your problem task on vanilla Q-T without the lxpup pets?
Yes I am using an IDE which compiles code by calling programs on the commandline, it works on vanilla Quirky Tahir but not after installing lxpup.
it is the IDE at monkeycoder.co.nz
You can install the free version

peebee

#94 Post by peebee »

slenkar wrote:
peebee wrote:
slenkar wrote:does this lxpup-by-sfs do a chroot or some other linux command to change some system variable?
Don't believe so....if you can give more details of what you are trying to do and what problems you are experiencing I might be able to duplicate and investigate....

I assume it's the Quirky-Tahr pets you are using? Have you tried your problem task on vanilla Q-T without the lxpup pets?
Yes I am using an IDE which compiles code by calling programs on the commandline, it works on vanilla Quirky Tahir but not after installing lxpup.
it is the IDE at monkeycoder.co.nz
You can install the free version
What error messages do you get??
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

slenkar

#95 Post by slenkar »

Basically the IDE is calling a compiled executable on the command line

The executable is called Trans (it translates code, but that isnt important)

When lxpup is installed I get a weird error message from trans that indicates it received the wrong arguments, so somehow the call to trans is being altered.

I can get the exact error message if you want? (dont think it will help)

peebee

Latest versions uploaded to SourceForge

#96 Post by peebee »

LATEST VERSIONS UPLOADED 28-apr-14:

All the latest SFSs & Setup Pets for all flavours are available from SourceForge

See the instructions in the first post on how to install.

Insomniacno1

#97 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi, any chance you could make a version for Wary 5.5?

I can't use the iso to install since my pc, won't allow any boot from cd - all linux versions I tried end up in kernel panic. So in the past I have moved my hdd to another pc and installed there, then moved back again and it worked fine. But now the other pc died today, and I don't have replacement motherboard to fix it:(

I like the idea to have more than one DE/WM to choose from:)

with kind regards

JBJ
Freezing my ass off in Denmark - came back on june 12, from 45 degrees celsius in the Philippines.

peebee

#98 Post by peebee »

Insomniacno1 wrote:Hi, any chance you could make a version for Wary 5.5?
Pretty unlikely I'm afraid given that Wary is now rather long in the tooth and no longer actively supported by BK.

Recommend you investigate ways to boot more modern pups - from usb stick? or use a usb stick to do a manual frugal install to your hdd? (if you're unsure howto seek help from an appropriate topic on the forum....)

Sorry!
peebee

Insomniacno1

#99 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Pretty unlikely I'm afraid given that Wary is now rather long in the tooth and no longer actively supported by BK.

Recommend you investigate ways to boot more modern pups - from usb stick? or use a usb stick to do a manual frugal install to your hdd? (if you're unsure howto seek help from an appropriate topic on the forum....)

Sorry!
peebee
Ufortunately that is not an option:( This old pc can't boot from USB, and although memtest says that RAM is ok, I keep getting kernel panic if I boot any kind of linux - with one exceptence Slitaz 3.

But I like puppy, not really Slitaz though its fast, but the author forgot to make CD/DVD burning available to the user eventhough you type root in the authentication box. Also it has some problems with USB modems and some wireless USB netcards.

I really hope you will reconsider:)

With kind regards

JBJ

[/quote]

Insomniacno1

#100 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi again, I managed to build another pc and this one has now your Lxpup 14.03 nopae installed, and it works fine - but I do have one small request - Could you tell me how to change the language of the menus and desktop into danish language?

I allready been to PPM to install anything I could find with da or dk for my language, that changed some of the menu items but rest remains in english.

It seems like the language pack is not complete - or am I missing something?

With kind regards

JBJ

peebee

#101 Post by peebee »

Insomniacno1 wrote:It seems like the language pack is not complete - or am I missing something?

With kind regards

JBJ
Hi there

You are the first user to ask about language support - and as I am a lazy Englishman it's not something I've investigated previously.....

I booted a fresh install and chose Danish in the initial quick setup screen and got the attached message.

The suggested language pack .pet is available here:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... 130415.pet

I haven't gone any further as I couldn't read anything if it was in Danish :?

The size of the _da pack compared with other languages suggests it may not be complete

I haven't knowingly deleted any language support in LxPup - and indeed PcManFM has Danish menus even with the above simple configuration - but conversely I haven't been too good at including the necessary in tools I've written.

Will be interested to know if the pet above helps.

Cheers
PeeBee
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-06-26_192037.png
(51.66 KiB) Downloaded 1240 times

Insomniacno1

#102 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi peebee, sorry to say but it didn't work, the lang pack refused to install, see attached picture.

I hope you can figure this out:)

In 3 days I need a running systeme, since I going to teach the local here how to use the internet for searching and how to keep your pc free of virus:)

They don't speak english, only danish, and also they have never seen linux so I need something as close to Windows as possible:)

Thats why I chose LXPup, I'm running Wary on the other pc, with Icewm so that it at least look a bit like XP.

On that the danish lang pack work fine and were installed from PPM.

Also please take a look here, for some strange reason I'm unable to post in that thread, so I can't invite Måns to join us here - maybe you can:

http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... e458a89d4c

JBJ

EDIT: I got it working now, I found some working Lang pack in the above thread - still most of the menu is still shown in english. I can edit the submenu myself by right clicking on an entry and open its properties - then change the name. But I can't edit the main menu entries, or I should say I don't know how to:)

Here are the links to the pet files, so others can use them.

Install in this order:

1- http://måns.dk/sky/apps/files_sharing/g ... 8fb44932e8

2- http://måns.dk/sky/apps/files_sharing/g ... a6584beffa

3- http://måns.dk/sky/apps/files_sharing/g ... 2442f5075c

4- http://måns.dk/sky/apps/files_sharing/g ... 2442f5075c

5- http://måns.dk/sky/apps/files_sharing/g ... 24b7f977ad

Moderator, I'm not allowed to attach files larger than 256kb - is that a mistake?
Attachments
error1.jpg
Error
(117.66 KiB) Downloaded 700 times

peebee

#103 Post by peebee »

Insomniacno1 wrote:Hi peebee, sorry to say but it didn't work, the lang pack refused to install, see attached picture.

EDIT: I got it working now, I found some working Lang pack in the above thread - still most of the menu is still shown in english. I can edit the submenu myself by right clicking on an entry and open its properties - then change the name. But I can't edit the main menu entries, or I should say I don't know how to:)
Glad you got it working.....

The failed pets from nluug.org are a known browser download problem - they need to be downloaded with pwsget in the internet menu rather than use a browser - sorry for the wrong steer

There is a 256kb limit on all forum attachments

Have a look at:
/etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu

you may have to edit the corresponding files in /usr/share/desktop-directories

Insomniacno1

#104 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi peebee, desktop as it looks now:) With danish Firefox 30

Edit: this is running on a PII 400Mhz, 320Mb Ram, 40GB Hdd, DVD-RW, Riva TNT M64 Video Card, USB 2.0 Addon card.

Its a bit slow sometimes, but is to be expected on this old HW.

How can I make an ISO or SFS(or other) from this so that someone else can get use of it?

JBJ
Attachments
desktop.jpg
(85.59 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
Last edited by Insomniacno1 on Sat 28 Jun 2014, 11:02, edited 2 times in total.

Insomniacno1

#105 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi again, I tried to edit the menu, which broke it - lucky that I allways make a backup and could just rename it back from .bak to menu. then restart X with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE.

Here is my translation so far, but I will leave as it is now, and let someone with better knowledge do the translation:)

JBJ
Attachments
menu.tar.gz
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 659 times

peebee

#106 Post by peebee »

Insomniacno1 wrote:still most of the menu is still shown in english. I can edit the submenu myself by right clicking on an entry and open its properties - then change the name. But I can't edit the main menu entries, or I should say I don't know how to:)
Open /usr/share/desktop-directories using the Rox file manager

Edit each of the Mate-Puppy- desktop files to add a line for Danish
Name[da]=XXXX

e.g. for Mate-Puppy-Fun.directory

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Fun
Name[fr]=Jeux
Name[da]=XXXX
Icon=games24.png
Icon=applications-simulation
Type=Directory
How can I make an ISO or SFS(or other) from this so that someone else can get use of it?
The first thing to try would be the Puppy Remaster live-cd in the Setup menu - although I've never tried this myself.....

or you could make a pet of the files that you have edited.....

Cheers
peebee

L18L

#107 Post by L18L »

Insomniacno1 wrote:...On that the danish lang pack work fine and were installed from PPM.

Also please take a look here, for some strange reason I'm unable to post in that thread, so I can't invite Måns to join us here - maybe you can:

http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... e458a89d4c
On that thread maans wrote:This is how far I could take it this time... If you want to participate/contribute or report bugs/bad language - please do so via: humamamm at gmail dot com.

Cheers Måns Mårtensson
Hope that helps a little
and/or just make yourself use of momanager....

peebee

LxPup-by-SFS for TahrPup 5.8.3

#108 Post by peebee »

Re-uploaded 09-aug-14 with working p-v-m

The sfs and setup pet to add LxPup-by-SFS to TahrPup 5.8.3 beta k3.14.11pae are available from:

lxpup-by-sfs_T.6.0.2.sfs

lxpupsetup-t.6.0.1.pet

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture22962.png
(177.41 KiB) Downloaded 1202 times

ASRI éducation

#109 Post by ASRI éducation »

Hello peebee,
Thank you for your packages and for the quality of your work.
For my own use, I have slightly modified the interface of lx_icon_switcher and added gettext.
Cordialement,
Attachments
lx_icon_switcher_20140813_en.png
(10.13 KiB) Downloaded 1203 times
lx_icon_switcher_20140813_fr.png
(11.08 KiB) Downloaded 1204 times
lx_icon_switcher_20140813.tar.gz
modified script + mo file (fr)
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 611 times
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

peebee

#110 Post by peebee »

ASRI éducation wrote:Hello peebee,
Thank you for your packages and for the quality of your work.
For my own use, I have slightly modified the interface of lx_icon_switcher and added gettext.
Cordialement,
Hi ASRI

I have included your improved gettexted GUI - many thanks - into the next versions of LxPup - I did however have to make 2 small changes - less important = the window title; more important = wrong exit code tested for on exit

The amended version is attached with false .gz

Regards
peebee
Attachments
lx_icon_switcher.gz
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 568 times